Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lax4u

how to protect kitchen backsplash?

lax4u
10 years ago

We just finished installing new kitchen backslash with travertine tiles, including the area behind the cooking stove. I sealed the area using sealer that I bought from home depot ( two layers). I wanted to protect the area behind the stove from oil splash but at the same time I don�t want to cover the design we made. So what options are available to me? I thought of buying clear tempered glass and just put it behind the stove. Where can I buy custom shape tempered glass? Online, or in Dallas area?

Any other suggestions than tempered glass

Comments (12)

• rosie
    10 years ago

Lax4u, sounds like you really like your backsplash, and that's great. This is purely subjective and you should go ahead and buy your glass if the plan pleases you--that's the big thing.

FWIW, though, and you're not going to like me and not all will agree, but you should be aware that because backsplashes are themselves installed to protect the walls from splashes--are supposed to take whatever comes, having to keep a stone-backsplash-for-the-ages from being splashed might come off to some as odd.

Not a fraction as unclear-on-the-concept, but still a bit like the person who wanted, instead of installing custom decorative millwork, to perch an actual ready-made ventilator hood cover that would look like it was supposed to vent--but obviously couldn't--up by the ceiling above an over-stove microwave. It wasn't ugly, it's just that we're used to functional items looking like they can fulfill their function.

Maybe a better example would be a luscious velvet sofa that no one is ever allowed to sit on for fear it might get mussed--or covering it with a plastic slipcover.

Is occasional resealing really not an option?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I've never seen glass installed over a vertical tile surface...I think it will look strange...sorry. I would just use a high quality sealer and you may have to get it at a reputable tile shop as opposed to HD...not sure if HD carries the better brands.

• kiko_gw
    10 years ago

We have a travertine tile backsplash; it was here when we moved in 7 years ago. I've never sealed it, and it always wipes clean.

• dermnp
    10 years ago

So glad you asked this lax. My travertine backsplash was just installed and we did a herringbone pattern behind the range, it is just gorgeous. The expert tile guys put on two coats of sealer, they said you can get it at HD, so probably the same that you used. I am fearful as well, I cooked an italian type dish tonight and wiped it all down afterwards, just in case oil splashed. I do agree with others that the tempered glass would look odd and take away from your beautiful backsplash, but have to be honest that something like that crossed my mind. I asked my husband if there is something we could put up temporarily with cooking, he laughed at me and told me I was ridiculous. I plan on sealing again in 6 mths to be safe. And I will wipe it down after cooking something messy to be safe. I will be so upset if it stains, not like you can just replace it or replace a tile.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Cook the sloppy tomato sauce on the front burners! I don't have travertine, my ceramic cleans well, but I noticed that since my stove is bigger than my previous one, I never seem to get splatters on the BS like I used to.
    I like Texasgals idea. When something is new, we tend to baby it. If nothing else, it makes clean up easier for her. After a while your kitchen will become your kitchen! You will use it and not think about protecting it every second.
    When my new kitchen was first installed, I had those little clear bubbles on a few of he cabinets. I was afraid that when i opened a corner cabinet, it would damage the one next to it. A few months ago, I realized that the bubbles fell off. And, my fear of one cabinet doing damage to the one next to it was unfounded.

• weissman
    10 years ago

The best way to protect the backsplash is to eat takeout :-)

• lax4u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for replies, like Texasgals we are using aluminium cooking sheet behind the stove, nothing to clean and easy to remove.
    I was not going to install tempered glass permanently, it would be sitting behind the stove like the cooking sheet. There is 6 inches gap between BS and stove, and i guess the glass can stay there.
    I found a link where they used IKEA shelfs, i dont know these shelfs can withstand heat
    http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/01/back-painted-glass-backsplash.html

• Elaine Thiel
    3 years ago

So, I love this conversation. I am contemplating the same issue with a new stove we are considering and was so happy to see others had the same concerns.

• Raluca Demi
    3 years ago

I am thinking to do the same. I want to install a marble/brass combination backsplash and I am a little scared it would start staining🤔

• PRO
    Beyond Clean Tile
    3 years ago

As long as travertine backsplash is sealed, it should not be a problem. The problem we see is lack of maintenance. After cooking, use a stone safe cleaner to clean the backsplash just as you would clean the cooktop. Regular cleaning is the solution. As time progresses, reapply a penetrating sealer to help repel splatters and all should be good! Don't fret but enjoy the stone, I'm sure it's beautiful.

• Martha Edwards
    3 years ago

When I had just a painted wall behind my range in a rental, I put a piece of clear plexiglass behind thick enough that it easier stayed upright. I would wipe splashes as I saw them but would also lift it out periodically and wash thoroughly in the sink.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths