Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
senator13

They're here! QS White Oak Kitchen Cabs-picture heavy!

senator13
12 years ago

Pictures speak louder than words, so my words will be few in this blog.

Simply put, I love my new kitchen cabinets!

From 2011-07-19
From 2011-07-19
From 2011-07-19
From 2011-07-19
From 2011-07-19
From 2011-07-19

Here is a link that might be useful: All cabinet pictures

Comments (47)

• mythreesonsnc
    12 years ago

I love your new cabinets too! They are beautiful!

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

absolutely beautiful! congrats!

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Oh yes! I chose them as well and love, love love them. Love your pulls and knobs. The color is gorgeous. So glad you love them.

• kayakjenn
    12 years ago

What's not to love??!!! I envy all those drawers and the clean lines of the cabinets are timeless. Can't wait to see your completed kitchen, I think it may be as close to my "dream kitchen" as I'm ever going to see!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

they're beautiful! is there a coating on them to protect them?

• boylanite2
    12 years ago

Beautiful.......

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

Wow!!!!!! Looking forward to the final pictures of your lovely kitchen....

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Oh my, those are BEAUTIFUL! I would be over-the-moon as well!

• elba1
    12 years ago

NICE!

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

desertsteph-yes, they have a natural matte oil finish of some type so that they can be wiped down, but it has no additional color to it. I know it is made by Gemini.

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kayakjen-I have lots of dream kitchens on here that are not mine, too! It is fun to dream about what you might do if you had 100 kitchens to work with and unlimited budget! I try and take some of the things that I love best from all the one's that came before!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Those are VERY beautiful. Congrats!

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Will the finish prevent them from darkening?
    They're absolutely stunning!

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lisa-
    Thanks! White oak is not one of the woods that darkens with light over time. It is a pretty stable color and remains that way with the oil finish. We have some other pieces that have tung oil on them, and they are the same color as they always were, as opposed to cherry, which does darken.

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

The word that pops into my mind is SUBSTANTIAL. Wow, they're a thing of beauty - each of them. I'm very much looking forward to see what kind of slabs you put on them. Your cabinets have that same dreamy quality in the veining that many of us only find in our slabs.

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alabamamommy, you have one of the most incredible kitchens on here, so I take those comments VERY seriously! Thank you so much for your kind words.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

LOVE those.

• dretutz
    12 years ago

Love that look. Fantastic.

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

i am not a fan of wood cabs and those are STUNNING!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

So perfect. I have several pieces of QS oak antique furniture. No wood is better, IMHO, than QS oak. What's going on top?

• regina_phalange
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Drool worthy!

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

These are lovely! I really like the uppers. Looks like a fun/functional kitchen to cook in and entertain from.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Oh. wow. Very much I like. Thanks for sharing! Beautiful.

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the nice compliments, everyone! Although all your questions about what top I am using has me a little worried. I guess I can just put a slab of plywood up there and call it a day. How about if my 5 year-old draws on it first? Would that be enough movement to satisfy? :)

• function_first
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful - I love the light finish on 1/4 sawn oak. Gorgeous!

As for the tops of them the only issue about them not being finished is the dust, etc. that will collect up there. For that I'd just lay newspaper across the top, I'd think it would be obscured by the trim, so not visible, then once a year you can climb up there and toss the old and lay down some new.

• westleyandbuttercup
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!

• lolonwood
    12 years ago

I can see why you love them. Stunning!

• kmmh
    12 years ago

So glad you like them--they look great!

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmmm, kris_ma, I think people were refering to the "tops" as the counter, but your idea is great. My current solution is just not going up to look at those tops :) But your idea is probably better!

• phoggie
    12 years ago

I am not usually a fan of oak, but these are beautiful! I can not wait to see the finished project.

• canuck88
    12 years ago

Awesome.

Can you share where you got your schoolhouse pendants and the sink?

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would be happy, to, canuck.

The sink is a Kohler Dickinson cast iron sink. I wanted this one because it is only 8" deep, instead of the normal 10" for a farmhouse sink. I felt that the 8" was more practical for me. And I wanted a 1 bowl sink as well, which narrowed the choices. I actually found this one on Craiglist for 50% off what they normally sell for. The guy had lugged it around for 9 years and three moves, and said no more! It was our first official house purchase, and I was very excited to scoop them up!

The pendants are from an Etsy seller-Lamp Goods. They were the first ones I found that a) were totally reasonablly priced (99.00 each) b) decent quality-she even lets you choose the finish color and the canopy style and c) I needed to find ones on a cord. I think they were a great deal and I highly recommend them!

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Have you decided on flooring yet? Your gorgeous cabinets have made me reconsider my choice of cherry. I may go rift cut oak, but trying to think how it'll all fit with the rest of the house, and can't quite picture the floors.
    Thanks

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lisa, the flooring is in the kitchen already, but you might not be able to see it perfectly. It is Forbo Marmoleum-caribbean color.

From Marmo floor

The great room floors are white oak as well, but stained (the cabinets are just oiled, not stained). The stain color is Gunstock. They are made by Sommerset and they are 3 1/4 planks. They are very dirty in this picture since our soil is very sandy and everyone is tracking it it. I hope to get a nice clean picture soon :)

From Marmo floor

• momo7
    12 years ago

Those cabinets are beautiful. I really love them. I keep going back and forth between wood or painted for my kitchen, but these are perfect.
    Now a layout question, what did you do in the corners?

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! Here is a shot of the corners.

From 2011-07-19

I did no special corner cabs, as I felt that I really wasn't going to get the same type of utility from them, as I would a full drawer or cabinet. The upper cab on the left has a very blind corner in the back, but the whole door area is usable, so that was worth it for me.

I also went between wood and painted, but my husband did not want painted. I even tried negotiating white tops/wood bottoms. In the end, I knew I would love the wood too, so it was fine. Plus, we are going to have a built-in in the dining room which I am going to do painted wood. That way I thought I could have the best of both worlds since it is all one big great room.

src="https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-z2vEzcLXgnY/TiXvmmHNrqI/AAAAAAAAeg8/shxKzVtujiY/s800/P1170253.JPG"; height="600" width="800" />
    From 2011-07-19

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, these two pictures didn't come though:

From 2011-07-19
    From 2011-07-19

• advertguy2
    12 years ago

Those are sweet.

Any details available on the pulls? I'm in the market for a bunch of them. Any information would be appreciated.

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The pulls are Amerock, Highland ridge, I believe they were the 96 mm

Here is a link that might be useful: Amerock pulls

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The pulls also come in the following other sizes:

3"
    125 mm
    160 mm

The knobs are also Amerock, Highland Ridge

My cabinet maker ordered both. The Amerock hardware was part of my quote, so I am not sure how much they run if you were competitively shopping for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Highland ridge

• wolfgang80
    12 years ago

Your cabinets are beautiful. It's so nice to see wood cabinets that look like wood.
    Do you have any pics of the cabs before the oil? Did it truly add no colour? We have hardwood floors that we want to protect without darkening or adding any sheen. We were told that even clear oils will darken them.

• julize
    12 years ago

Really pretty. Can't wait to see the finished product!

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wolfgang-

I don't see any in my file before the oil. It did add some color, maybe 1-2 shades. You can google unfinshed quarter sawn oak cabinets and there might be a picture to compare it too. I think the oil actually helped pick up alot of the veining and warmth of the wood. It also helped accentuate the darker and lighter portions of the cabinet to give it more variation. We did a matte oil, so it has no real sheen to it.

• BalTra
    12 years ago

Neat to see with the marmoleum -- I'm considering similar but think I may go with bamboo. On the fence.
    The wood is so so gorgeous. I love the look of bare wood. Nothing can compete!
    Enjoy them!!!!

• newenglandladybug
    12 years ago

Beautiful, and I am not someone who normally likes oak much. I think the sink looks great with them too!

• advertguy2
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info on the pulls. THey are quite similar if not exactly the same as the ones I've been leaning towards from Lee Valley. Nice to see them installed.

Thanks again!

• Mary Lynn Crandall
    6 years ago

senator13, I know this is a very old post, but I'm considering rift sawn oak for our bathroom vanities....just wondering, if you're still connected to this thread, about the finish you used on them. You mentioned that it was made by Gemini, some kind of natural matte oil finish. Did the finish hold up well? How much color change did you notice in the wood over time?