Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berardmr_gw

Choice #1 Vote for your favorite countertop w/Arabesque

berardmr
11 years ago

So back to the granite yards this morning where everything I loved was marble. The lady that took us around said that marble has its imperfections but some people can live with it. She compared it to wearing linen -- beautiful, but it wrinkles. I love linen but won't wear it because of the wrinkles so there was my answer.

Onward...I'm going to post two sets of photos of two close, but different granites. They are gray - the color I'll paint the walls. The first one has a good deal of variation in it, but the white in the stone really speaks to the Arabesque.

The second slab is softer, safer but with no white to tie in the Arabesque. Still, I think it would work. Both tiles have the color of gray that I love.

So...do you vote for #1 (wilder and wolly) or #2 (demure lady with no white)?

Appreciate your help!

Comments (50)

• williamsem
    11 years ago

This one!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I only see one choice, but it's beautiful. I vote for it and the white tile.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

This one

• berardmr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's choice #2. More demure, but no white to tie in with tile.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

This should help. So much easlier if both pictures are in the same thread.

This is the first choice:

And choice #2:

Easy decision for me. Choice #1 looks fabulous and has my vote!

• berardmr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here it is, don't know why I'm having posting problems tonight.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

#1 GETS MY VOTE!

• berardmr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No one for #2? I'm surprised, I thought everyone would go with the softer slab. Many of you like the softer quartzite and I thought #2 looked closer to it. Please continue to vote!! Thanks.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

No doubt. #1. Love the movement!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

#1!

Hello little arabesque friend

• chitown_remodel
    11 years ago

I LOVE the first granite.

#1 for sure

• nuggly
    11 years ago

#1. Not the slightest doubt!

• babs711
    11 years ago

To me they're both soft. I like the movement and lines of #1 better.

• springroz
    11 years ago

#1, because the second one looks like it should have an off white tile. It looks beige to me!

Beautiful!

Nancy

• beeps
    11 years ago

Wow. It's unanimous so far. Love the movement in #1. Beautiful!

• selphydeg
    11 years ago

From the picture, #1 is more beautiful, but really the look isn't complete until you take into account of cabinet style, lighting, appliances.

• hags00
    11 years ago

I am a #2 person (that sounds bad!!). I prefer less movement and wouldn't care for the big color changes with the gray and white splotches. Both are beautiful pieces of stone.

Your backsplash is certainly plain enough in color to tolerate all the movement in #1 well.

• hermajesty
    11 years ago

Oh absolutely number ONE, love it!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

#1. No contest.

• berardmr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would tell them not to use that big gray splotch! That's really the only thing that bothers me about it.

• KBH
    11 years ago

I just did my kitchen with black cabs and river white granite that looks like the same lot as yours. I love the movement - always something new to look at. Fwiw, we're working on backsplash and I think going with random strips of Carrera marble.

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Definitely #1

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Looks like #2 is Kashmir White or River White--may be a lower price point than #1. Both are beautiful. Before you decide, I would definitely get a look at the materials in the position you will see them in everyday--the granite needs to be flat like it will be on top of your cabinets and the tile needs to be placed at a 90 degree angle to the granite as it would be on the wall. When you change the positioning of the materials the way they look & how the different colors appear can change based the light shining on them/reflecting off of them differently. Many on the forum suggest picking the granite & have it installed and finalize the backsplash later for just this reason.

Hope this helps!

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

#1!!!!!! Love it

• michelle16
    11 years ago

#1, - I think #2 has alot of blue in it.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Number 1 by a landslide. Just love it!!

• amykath
    11 years ago

Number one no question!

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

I love # 1 by a long shot.

• RICSFAN
    11 years ago

My vote is for #1. Stunning!!

• chiefy
    11 years ago

I trust you that #1 has some white in it to tie to the backsplash. I'm definitely not seeing any of it in #2.

So, #1 it is!

• corgimum
    11 years ago

I love the big grey "splotch" as you called it. I think it adds character to the stone and makes it unique. I would absolutely want to use it.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

#1 for sure. I even like the gray splotch. My biggest regret with my granite is that it is too subtle, played it safe. It doesn't have enough pizzazz. I was a chicken....

• nini804
    11 years ago

I think you will be happier with #1. I am also a "marble person," I have it in my kitchen, master, butlers pantry and fireplace surround. I wanted it in dd's bath and the guest bath, but I chickened out since dd is 9 and I thought she would ruin it. Granite yard said Kashmir white was a good sub for marble. To me, it absolutely is not! Like your slab #2, it has those annoying small freckles (I call them :) ) and no white to speak of. It looks harsh to me in her bath with the soft paint colors and crystal hardware...I really don't like it...but maybe I am comparing it to the marble I see everyday, I don't know.

But anyway...all that to say that #1 looks much better to me!

• aliris19
    11 years ago

I think they're both great and it completely depends what sort of overall look you're aiming for. #1, obviously, is busier. #2 more demure, symmetrical, orderly. Personally, out of context and with the fantastic, interesting tile you obviously want to highlight, I could see why you might opt for #2. It will not draw the thunder from the arabesque. If your love is the marble itself, #1 is clearly more dramatic. You will be measuring and sweeping across much heppening. That may or may not appeal to you.

OTOH you could argue since the color of the arabesque is so plain, having more pizazz in the stone is indicated. I think it matters to how you want things to feel; happening or not. To my eye, the smaller pattern doesn't look annoying and "freckly", but you have to be in front of it to know that. Are there sparkly inclusions? Etc.

If you can stand the forwardness of it, I would agree asking the yard to place each of the slabs horizontal might be a really good idea and way to test the busy-ness to your eye. Me, I would have felt shy to ask but I'm a jerk that way. Definitely, it's an important question and you should try to do the experiment if you can. And in the light closest to your kitchens' as well. Inside if you've few windows, outside if you don't.

• eriepatch
    11 years ago

No doubt in my mind....#1 all the way
    You won't be sorry.

• geomeg
    11 years ago

Both are really beautiful, but I too prefer #1.

Can you tell me what both granites are? Is #2 river white?

• tracie.erin
    11 years ago

Oh, number one is gorgeous!

• young-gardener
    11 years ago

Lovely! My favorite is #1.

• slush1422
    11 years ago

I love #1! We will have the same backsplash (just got our shipment) and I have Moon Night (aka Super White) Quartzite.

• MeMcG
    11 years ago

Just from how you described them it sounds like you really want #1, so I think you should go for it.

• wolfgang80
    11 years ago

#1 goes better with your shirt. #1 is the prettier, more dramatic, more like art, stone, but I like boring countertops in general so I'd probably go with #2.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

#1 is stunning! #2 is really lovely. But seeing them horizontal may make a difference to you. You have good taste.

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

#1 Love it!

• ginzing
    11 years ago

I love your first choice with the Arabesque!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

#1-- Beautiful!

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Love, love, love #1.

There is no question in my mind on this one. That granite does not fight the arabesque and it is just so beautiful. Great job finding it. (PS what are they both called for people who find this thread in future?)

• msrose
    11 years ago

Can you tell us what #1 is?

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

my vote is #1!

• sashasmommy
    11 years ago

#1 all the way!

• berardmr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone. #1 is called White Eyes granite. #2 is Kashmir White.

In the end, I'm going for Cambria Torquay. Both granite pieces had little freckles. When I showed a small sample to my DIL, she said they looked like drops of dried blood. We were just talking about an attempted murder case, so that's probably what made her spurt that out!

I love the first stone especially, but decided to go for a cleaner, more marble look countertop. I will pop color into the kitchen with lots of bright accessories.