Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

I will go back to school in dirty clothes.

brightm
9 years ago

That's how I feel. I just got the call that the washer we have on order won't be available until a few days after school starts (two school teachers). Our washer and dryer are in the kitchen and part of kitchen reno.

I am very, very, very fortunate to have inlaws whom I love very much, and like even better. And who live a few miles away. My MIL would do our laundry any time we brought it to her for the rest of our lives. Shoot, she'd even pick it up at our house if we asked.

But....ARRRRGH.

I'm exhausted. I'm tired of listening to workers work behind the big black curtain (plastic in the kitchen doorway). I felt better yesterday after we got lights and the plumbing correctly fixed (though there are a couple receptacle issues yet), but today I just feel beat down.

Sorry, when one is trapped at home alone with workers, what is one to do besides vent on the internet.

Comments (6)

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

I hear you, on everything. I'm glad you have wonderful in laws. I have the same kind, that feel sorry for us during this whole ordeal that not only do we get leftovers after Sunday dinner (which has been going on for almost 10 years), but when my MIL comes to watch our son, she brings more food!

I'm also exhausted, which is why I can't even pick out pulls.

I feel what you're going through. At least take comfort knowing you're not the only one.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I think the trials of a reno, especially the kitchen, life force hub, makes it just drain..on every part of you.

There are parts of me that want to jump into it now, there are parts that say wait til there's a few less people in the house to work around.

I do remember the dirt, dust, disorder from the last remodel we went through about 10 years ago. 3 boys, the yongest 4 at the time. The 6 weeks of plywood counter tops. Finding sheet rock dust months later.

I don't know how those of you that do this every few years, can? Lol

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

If it's any comfort to you, I was without laundry for 6 weeks last summer while 8 months pregnant, with another in diapers and a preschooler at home. I tried to remind myself that at least we could afford new machines, but it didn't really help....

But now the new machines have speed cycles twice as fast, so I'm sort of glad it happened :).

• poohpup
    9 years ago

Reno is hard. Sometimes you just need to vent. This too shall pass and you'll have a beautiful space to enjoy. Hang in there!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

All things in time, Cal_Q. Easy to say, harder to live through. The good news is, MIL is nearby and she's probably better, cheaper and cleaner than a laundromat. Possibly, she's not as entertaining, but there's a trade off. I hope everything is done soon.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. Finding this out while listening to the guy scrape the walls (drywall) for hours on end, while surviving on a few hours of sleep and 105 degree heat...snap!

He's just about done. I can run to Chipotle and get a salad. I'll be fine.

If this is the worst thing that happens, I'll be lucky.

Still kicking myself for not organizing the tradespeople myself. I'd have been two weeks ahead. Wouldn't have gotten me a washer any sooner, but I wouldn't feel like I'm trapped/camping etc.