Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxiepines_gw

pull-down faucet vs. side sprayer

maxiepines
12 years ago

Am I crazy to want another faucet with a separate side sprayer? It seems like everything on the market right now is a pull-down, and they don't feel as "smooth" to pull out as my side sprayer. Almost all of the pull-downs I've tried have a ridged metal hose; it feels kind of clunky to pull out/down the sprayer. The Delta Leland has a cloth hose, so it's smoother, but its still not as easy to whip out as the cheapy plastic hose on my old side sprayer.

Please share your thoughts about this. I've been to several showrooms where the faucets are hooked up with the counterweights, but maybe its different once they're home?? Thanks, everyone!

Comments (8)

• shkish
    12 years ago

I had the Delta Leland in my last house (an impulse buy to replace a broken faucet). Well it was the BEST impulse buy I've ever made.

We are designing a new home right now and after searching through all different options and price points, I'm back to the Leland. It will be going in as my main sink faucet and the bar version at my prep sink.

We are in a rental now and I curse every time I try to grab for the pull down and realize I have to go for the side sprayer. I got used to and prefer the pull down model - it's so smooth and effortless to just reach up and pull down.

FYI the Leland NEVER had slipping issues like my previous pull down.
    Just my 2 cents!

• eandhl
    12 years ago

My Kohler Fairfax in my last house had the metal and when we ordered one for this house it came with the cloth like. I thought they made the faucet cheaper but I guess it is a little easier to maneuver. I like the pullout/pulldown over a side sprayer because it is direct and gives better pressure. Mine also can stay on either stream or spray. No holding anything to keep it on your choice.

• friedajune
    12 years ago

I believe Handsgrohe faucets have a nylon covered hose in their pull-down/pull-out faucets which will feel smooth. So, look at that brand. Also, note that the pull-down faucets have either a magnet or a counter weight, but the pull-out faucets mostly do not because their shape doesn't need anything to counteract dangling. If you are unsure of the difference between the pull-out vs. the pull-down style, I'll link a helpful thread below.

I do not like side sprays for the following reasons: I don't want to have to hold down the side spray lever to keep the spray going, side sprays have less water pressure than integrated sprays, plumbers say side sprays have less longevity than integrated sprays, and side sprays mean one more hole to clean around. Of course, that's just MHO. If you love side sprays, go for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Pull-out vs. Pull-down Faucets

• maxiepines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for your input, everyone. I'm just glad that the first responses weren't telling me that I must be quite the weakling to complain about this issue!

shkish, I'm so glad to hear that you love the Leland - its very reassuring. :)
    eandhl, I hadn't considered the pressure issue - increased pressure from the pull-down would def be a plus.
    akchicago, you had me at "one more hole to clean around"!

Thanks again, everyone!!

• colorfast
    12 years ago

I am working on figuring out my sink and faucet now, so this couldn't have been posted at a better time.

I also began by assuming I wanted a separate, side sprayer. I am beginning to be won over.

Question: My friend with a pull-down mentioned that she needs to flip it back from sprayer mode with her faucet or she can get quite a nasty surprise of water all over the place. Is that true with all of them?

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

I'd just like to take a minute and stand up for pull downs. I've done several renos so I've had both (also pull out) and much prefer the pull down. Now in our house I have a high arc side sprayer. It's great but think I still prefer the all-in-one as I don't have to change from the faucet to the sprayer. It's a subtle thing, though.

A good faucet should slide smoothly, whether the hose is metal or fabric. Fabric on some brands slides more smoothly but I had a metal hose on my KWC Systema and the action was problem free and easy.

Here's what a faucet expert from Kohler had to say which may be of some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Expert advice

• friedajune
    12 years ago

Colorfast - it depends on the faucet. It also depends on user preference. My faucet, a Grohe Ladylux Plus, defaults back to regular flow when you turn the water off. While the water is on, there is a button so that I can switch back and forth between spray and flow as needed. Other faucets stay on whatever you last left it at. The thing is, many people prefer one way or the other. We have had just as many people post saying they like their faucet to stay on whatever they left it at, as people saying they want the water to default back to regular flow upon being turned off. So it's personal preference. Sometimes it is difficult to tell when you are looking at the faucet in a store which way it operates. You can always look at the specs online, or call the manufacturer's customer service number and ask.

What you don't want is a faucet where you have to keep holding the button to keep it on spray. Some faucets are like that. You want to look for a faucet with a button that you can let go of, and the water will stay on spray.