Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calizzy

Which gel stain to produce this color?

calizzy
10 years ago

I have a link at the bottom to the color of cabinet that I would like to have. I have oak cabinets and was thinking of gel staining them. Which color do you think would be closest? Should I try to mix 2 colors? Would painting be better? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet color

Comments (16)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Well, since General Finishes Java looks darker in real life than on the monitor, perhaps Antique Walnut.

Antique Walnut

Java

However, Beekeperswife said that she preferred Old Masters gel stain.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

double post

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 19:30

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

As long as you use the same brand, you can mix colors.

If the Antique Walnut is too light, add some Java to deepen the brown.

Mix a small amount, keeping track of the proportions, until you like the color. Then mix a larger batch, big enough to do all the cabinets with that batch.

EXAMPLE: If 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) AW and 1 teaspoon Java is perfect, you need to use 3 measures AW and 1 measure Java ... it can be cups, liters or bathtubs, but it's 3 AW and 1 Java.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

the gel works by "wiping off".... the intensity is completely controlled how you work the rag/cloth . You can start with java on the cloth but after wiping be closer to a lighter look as the antique walnut shown. Look closely at the SHADE you want-more red/brown/orange/amber/grayed?, because that is the most important part. I used mahogany, pulled off quite a bit and ended with a reddish teak which I couldn't achieve any other way. The "'fruitwood" sample wasn't quite right.Definitely do some sampling somewhere on the surface you'll be doing as the procedure should be known before you start-the gel sets up after a fairly short "working time".Old Masters is the brand I used.

• jenhp
    10 years ago

If you really want to match that color, Java will be too dark, and antique walnut is too light and not in the right color family. Antique walnut has a lot of green/yellow in it. Java is very dark brown almost black. The picture you posted, has much more red in the color. You can try brown mahogany or Georgian Cherry or mix the two. To achieve that color you will need several coats, build it up until it's dark enough. I've used Java and brown mahogany on furniture I've made, and love both. General Finishes gel stain is nice to work with.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I've been trying to view the linked photo from Houzz and I can't seem to get into Houzz at all, not even the home page. No other sites are giving me any trouble.

• amybamy
    10 years ago

We are just starting our General Finishes gel stain re-do of our kitchen. I ended up mixing 4 parts Brown Mahogany to 1 part Java to get a color pretty similar to what you have posted.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

Hi,
    You will always get a richer finish by layering.
    I would start with the walnut, then add a toning coat of java the next day.
    Casey

• kadydid
    10 years ago

I have purchased a small container of Antique Walnut and I don't think you will get that color if you apply it over already treated oak cabinets. I'm not sure you would get the color if you had untreated wood either. I was personally not a fan of that color stain.

I have very dark oak cabinets with GF Brown Mahogany on them. And I have gel stained on raw wood (which has a completely different effect) and to me that would be the closest to what you're looking for. Very hard for a DIY'er imo.

• eam44
    10 years ago

That's definitely a cherry finish.

GF has a black cherry stain that might give you the right color, but you do realize that no matter what color you use, oak cabinets will never look like the ones in that image, right? You are going to have an oak grain regardless of color - that could be raised depending on the finish type you use - that will never be mistaken for cherry.

Some people love oak for its grain. I would recommend a stain that celebrates the oak, not one that tries to disguise it as cherry.

Black Cherry

Oak stained to look like Cherry/bluemountainworkshops.com
    {{!gwi}}

Unstained Reclaimed Oak from countryroadassociates.com

Light stained oak

Medium stained Oak/Houzz

• Ivannamamma
    10 years ago

Try 50/50 Candlelite and Java Gel Stain

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest Photo Example of this mix

• Ivannamamma
    10 years ago

Try 50/50 Candlelite and Java Gel Stain

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest Photo Example of this mix

• renov8r
    10 years ago

Ivannamamma, is that oak on the pinterest photo or do you know? It doesn't seem to be, but it is very nice.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Yes, GF java nd candle lite should give you that look.