Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Light over Sink Decision-Last Time, Promise!!

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

Well, well, well, the decision time has finally come. I told you that I was going to wait until we were in, and the light over the table was hung in order to get a better feel for the space.

We are in.

The light was hung last night.

The one over the table has some "crystal" (really glass) drops that give a nod to the chandelier over the island. I love the way these 2 are winking at each other.

Over the sink is the spot in question. I don't want anything that competes with the chandy over the island, but it has to work in this space. The metal has to be chrome, not satin nickel.

I did buy 2 of the globe lights for in my hallway area pictured below. One is in front of the butler's pantry, (at the bottom of the back stairs, between the kitchen and the dining room) and the other is in front of the powder room and the coat closet. Look at the first picture below, that 2nd one is way over to the right, see those doors? in there. They look great. There is a little temptation to repeat it over the sink, but it might be a bit too big.

Here are some photos of it, I'm trying to show you where it is in comparison to the kitchen

Close up of the light

I'd rather have the same light vs another clear glass globe (like below) without the fluting--to me that would look like I'm totally schizo and I can't make up my mind. I'm one light fixture short of being declared crazy I think. Like this:

The other options are below. I know we have discussed this before, but I thought maybe seeing it all in place would help US make this decision.

Let's name them so you can vote:

Overstock:

I don't even know if I remember where this one was from! It has a bit of what looks like crystals on the bottom/inside of the shade.

Elk:

Shades of Light:

Uttermost

Let me know what you guys think now that you can see the place in real life, as opposed to me showing pictures of what lights will be going where!

Thanks

Bee

Comments (49)

• hlove
    11 years ago

FWIW, I like the one from shades of light for that space. BTW, the kitchen is just beautiful!!!

• drewem
    11 years ago

I vote for the Elk. It's different, and very pretty!

• drewem
    11 years ago

a little off topic, but could you post a pic of that pretty sparkly light in the dining room? I saw a glimpse of it in the picture above, it looks nice!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sure drewem, here you go

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Shades of Light fixture gets my vote.

BTW, would you mind sharing the name of your granite used for your countertop. I am in love with it.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

I still like your first choice! However, shades of light looks nice too, if you could add a little droplet to it at the bottom, it would be perfect!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Shades of Light.

I agree, that is pretty granite! Beautiful cabinetry too!

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I voted for the SOL fixture too (in my head) before seeing the other votes. To me, it's the clear winner.

Very pretty space!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I don't know much about design, but I like the Shades of Light. Its squared edges echo the fixture in the dining area adjacent to the kitchen. Also, with that really high arching faucet, this would look okay higher up so the two don't appear to be dueling.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Another SOL vote. It also echoes the openness of your lovely glass upper cabinets!! Love it when that happens!
    :)

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Drum shade. Or else possibly Uttermost.

I think one more sui generis light in there is going to make your home look like a lighting showroom. It's time to pair them up. There needs to be a chorus--everybody can't be a soloist.

So the drum teams up with your table light, while the Uttermost teams up with your chandy (although it's more of a backup singer).

Introducing a completely new form / style / shape is going to turn the space into karaoke night.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I like the uttermost the most. It blends with all the other lights the best. I like the SOL light but I think it brings the other lights down a bit. Of course, what do I know!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

regardless of how it coordinates with the other fixtures shade of light gets my vote.

• gregincal
    11 years ago

I vote shades of light too. I see what Marcolo means, but to me the fact that the light echoes the cabinets next to it makes it feel more harmonious.

• les917
    11 years ago

Shades of light wins it for me. The shade echoes the shade over the dining table, it has some curves like the moulding on the cabinets, but is still clean and simple. With that huge faucet there, I don't think you need a fussy fixture.

Your home is lovely! You must be thrilled.

• springroz
    11 years ago

I vote for the Elk. The Shades of Light is a little too colonial, and I really like the round shade.

Nancy

• hermajesty
    11 years ago

1st choice Uttermost - a little sparkle that coordinates nicely with your Chandy.

2nd choice Elk. Coordinates with your table lamps.

While I love the look of the Shades of Light I have to agree it does look colonial and it just doesn't look like your style Bee.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I like the Elk light. I think it coordinates with the one over the table and definitely allows the chandelier to take the spotlight. I feel as though you will have too much going on with three completely different lights in the kitchen area---which is just beautiful, btw!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I like the Elk best. The SOL is a close second, but I think you would have to add some bling yourself. Not much, but a little something to make it tie in better with all the cut glass and dangly thingys the other fixtures have.

That house is great. Nice job putting it all together. It must be such a relief to be in it finally!

• KBSpider
    11 years ago

I like the Uttermost...the most!

• tea4all
    11 years ago

You find the most beautiful lights! I'm not much help because the last three are my favorites. BTW your home is gorgeous! You have wonderful taste.

• beeps
    11 years ago

Elk - Love it! It pulls the chandelier and linear pendant light together for me. Doesn't feel like you are adding another style of light. And I'm kind of loving the drum shades right now.

Bee, I love your new house. It is stunning. You clearly have amazing taste! How do you like the linear pendant? I'm thinking of one of those over my dining table.

Off to find that Elk pendant as a possibility for my own house. And, do you mind sharing the name of the linear pendant?

Beautiful!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I really think the uttermost would look best. To me the others will look too lighty and a persons eye would automatically go up to all the light displays around your ceiling instead of traveling around the rooms and over the beautiful kitchen and counters. The others are over-kill and the uttermost is just a nice smaller bit of little sister bling thats related to the island light.

• orcasgramma
    11 years ago

Is there a smaller version of the light over the table available? Say with 2 sets of 'crystal' drops, rather than the 4 plus the middle. I think over the sink that would pull all the elements together.

Your kitchen etc. is beautiful. I love to see it - partly because it is so very different from anything I would do. Thank you for sharing.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Uttermost for me

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

I like the Elk. Could you add a little bit of "crystal" to the bottom to make it echo the fixture over the table?

I like the Uttermost too.

Beautiful lights! I hope that someday you will post a thread with a full tour of your house. It's wonderful! :)

• BerlinGirl
    11 years ago

I personally wouldn't put another light in there. Your house is perfect as it is. I think it might start getting a little busy with all the different lights...

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

berlingirl, I sort of agree. I do like the uttermost from the mix but at the first I was thinking I would leave the recessed light there. The other lighs are so nice that you might not notice if there is much more hanging stuff.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

I don't think I would do another light fixture there. i would do either shelves above the window space( iv'e seen that on houzz) or a beautiful fabric with those great pops of orange u have going on in a roman shade and I would hang it high so it would be folded up and make you think the window is longer, it would be in line with the cabinets, so if you had the nice fabric there, you wouldn't need a fixture, you have plenty of other beautiful fixtures in the house, add some color instaed. Just a thought, I'm sure whatever u do will be amazing! It's coming together so nicely.Tks, Michelle

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Apologies to all! I posted this, and had to run out shortly after, dd2's 22nd b'day. When I got back, I posted some answers to some questions, but as I was doing it, my computer froze. figures. So, I had to shut it down, and lost everything I was in the middle of working on. So, I'm back. Getting up early, dd2 is moving today to start her first "real world" job. So, I thought I'd hop on and get some answers to you now, because today is shot.

walnutcreek: the granite is Super White aka White Fantasy. Absolutely love it

marcolo: I've used the backup singer theory myself. And you said exactly what I am feeling...one more different light and it all goes wrong.

beeps, love that linear shade. Just hung it a couple of nights ago. It's from Overstock.

to those who say "leave the recessed", there is no recessed light there. It's a capped off box.

Thanks for the nice comments. The cabinets are made locally, by a company called Dutchwood. They are just fantastic.

I'm actually toying with the idea of waiting until the under cabinet and in-cabinet lighting is in place. If I don't NEED any lighting there, then I may just continue to put this decision on hold.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm actually starting to also think, maybe something tiny, like I had in my old house might work, if I don't need the light.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Another vote for just putting in a recessed light. Although all of the lights are lovely, you don't need another celery stalk sprouting from the ceiling. You've got enough focal points as it is. Knowing when to stop adding stuff is the key to any successful room.

• amykath
    11 years ago

I think adding some beefier molding to the top of the window would be a nice idea and then adding a very simple light fixture... maybe even semi flush or flush to the ceiling.

Or, I like the idea of a window treatment of some sort that goes with your style and then a pendant hanging in front.

LOVE LOVE your kitchen and your new home! You have done a wonderful job. I bet you are loving it!

• momo7
    11 years ago

Love all your lights, your kitchen, your house, your dog...

Didn't look at other responses because that's what I think you're supposed to do but I say Elk! Definitely :-)

The way I see it - your chandelier is the queen, your breakfast (?) light is the prince, and then the light over your sink is a duke. So the prince and the duke, or maybe lord, should be similar-ish (and they are, to me) as they bow to the queen.

Good luck, you can't go wrong.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to say, reason it isn't a recessed light is due to joist location.

Possibly dh will need to put in 2, one on each side of the joist. Doing only 1 would boy be centered. This is how the whole problem started!

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Elk! Gives a small nod with the crystals but not detracting.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I thought I've posted twice, but apparently I have gone off to look at light fixtures and not finished my submit. No, I'm not tired. ;-)

I like the Shades of Light the best, but am not 100% on it either. The drum adds another shape and I don't like the weight of hanging on a pole for it. A flush mounted variation might work better, but I think that's still too much a new player. The sparkly one is cute, but I'd be willing to bet I wouldn't be happy with it just a few feet from a Schonbeck. The Overstock one looks like your grandmother's fixture next to the others (I know what you were trying to do with it, but I don't think it works, sorry). I LOVE your fluted globe -- you know that already, but it doesn't seem right to pull the hall fixtures in to go over the sink, especially if the size isn't right.

The little mini pendant might be the best, but it seems a bit heavy or bold. You've seen it in person, so trust your judgment on that better than mine. I'd like something that seems a little more delicate to play next to the chandelier. I found one, but the photo won't post here.

If you can't do a can because of the joist, have you considered how much play room you would have with mounting the various fixtures? The larger fixtures would probably be more obviously off centered, so that's another reason to not do a flush mount or a drum, in my book. Have you figured how much light you need at night or on cloudy days? If the sink isn't working in shadows, Id even forego a light there, but you probably need something.

I love your taste in lighting, and I think you will know when you have found the right thing. I'd play all day with you if I could but have to get back to packing and moving stuff from my dad's house and attend a memorial service today (great aunt, not my dad). I'll check back to see how it's going.

• menmsmom
    11 years ago

Love Love Love your whole house!! You have done a fantastic job. Do you know what color you used for all of your trim? How about your other house? Like the Elk pendant and the SOL.

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Bee,

I think your old light works the best. It is small and the metal is very graceful.

Lalitha

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

menmsmom--the old house had Cloud White trim. This house is Sherwin Williams Extra White. There was another white I wanted to use, but the painter would have had to have them mix it up for me and it would have cost more...this was already pre-mixed in the 5 gallon buckets.

Lalitha, I would have done that light again in a heartbeat, but I was concerned about the vertical-ness of it with the tall faucet. It was such a great little light.

• berardmr
    11 years ago

Beekeeperswife, what about your backsplash? Have you made a choice yet?

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

I think you do need a light there, both for the light and asthetics, but it shouldn't pull attention away from the chandelier, it should just look like it belongs in the space. Personally, I think it needs more than a can light.

Here are a few ideas, you'll have to copy the links in order to see the lights! :)

Either something like this with a slight drop:

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/14-inch-wide-white-shade-semi-flush-ceiling-light__00884.html

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/deluxe-collection-18-inch-wide-ceiling-light-fixture__23267.html

Or a flushmount light:

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/jonathan-adler-parker-15-and-one-quarter-inch-wide-nickel-ceiling-light__h0679.html

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/energy-efficient-white-fabric-10-and-one-quarter-inch-wide-ceiling-light__01421.html

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/possini-chrome-and-crystal-strands-flushmount-ceiling-light__96536.html

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

berardmr, here's what's funny about the back splash--since it seems like I just did a reno in the old house, I realize that there is no rush this time to get that done. I am leaning towards doing the arabesques again. I know they will look great and I really wasn't tired of them at all. Of course, I haven't gone to any tile showroom to look at other things, so my mind might be swayed. I feel that we have so many other expenses right now at the house, that the tile might have to wait a little bit longer.

Laura, thank for those links, I'll check them out.

Bee

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

beekeeperswife a bit OT but were your floors prefinished, or did you have them finished in your home? Do you have any details you could share?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura, the floors were prefinished, they are Mohawk, in Saddlebrook.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the names of the granite, bk. It looks beautiful.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

I like the one from Shades of light also. Your kitchen is fabulous! I think the fixture over the dining table is a great foil to the crystal chandy over the island. Nice to see the almost completely finished product.
    I was at Dutchwood today to meet with Jason and plan. I am hoping that with the changes and add-ons we made the price still falls within my budget. The inset cabinets they make are gorgeous. Jason was so patient with me while I hemmed and hawed about a few things. He had to bring out his correction tape a few times but hopefully not too many more times :) What color white did you choose for your cabinets? Is it one of their colors or did you do your own?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey p.ball2, The white we used is the lightest color on the strip with the London Fog. I have no idea what the name is! We did use their paint deck. The London Fog is the exact color of the gray in my Super White, and the white is an exact match to the white in the counter. So, for me, it was a no brainer. The darker butler's pantry and my walk in closet are from the same strip too. I think "Gunpowder" is the name.

Did you see Michelle16's cabinets when you were there? She is getting close!!

bee

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

NOt sure if I saw her cabinets. I saw a beautiful robin's egg blue cabinet door with egg/dart border.

Jason did not give me paint strips. He gave me wood pieces that were painted. He gave me 6 and I gave three back because they were too creamy. The ones I kept are bright white, wraith and BM glacier white. I will have to ask him about the paint strips.
    I talked with him about a paper towel holder just below the counter top and he said he had done one for another GWer. Was that you?

I picked out the same island leg that you have. I like it even more now that I see it on your island.