Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

What My Kitchen Must-Must-Must Have...

rococogurl
12 years ago

Just enjoying the ergonomics thread but it made me think about the four or five kitchens I've owned and what I feel I absolutely must have to be comfortable and have the kitchen function well vs what I don't care for.

So I'll start my must-have list:

Big deep sink and pull down faucet or one with high arc sprayer. Sprayer's the thing.

Great dishwasher as we don't wash much by hand -- it all goes into the dw.

Good microwave. I'm often surprised how often we use it but there are two of us so I'm always reheating something.

Bottom-mount refrigerator. I will never again get down on my hands and knees to find something in the fridge. Never.

Pull out garbage & recycling bin. So civilized.

Easy-on-the-legs floor. My last 3 kitchens have had hardwood flooring -- 2 oak and currently ash.

Area rugs, either Oriental or most recently a Capel indoor outdoor carpet that I love because everything wipes right up.

Comments (36)

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I'll add a large flat surface, either peninsula or island.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

must (and also great to have)

bottom-mount refrigerator (or two of them)
    induction, any size, doesn't matter (zoneless)
    cooking exhaust ventilation canopy (transparent)
    inline blower
    two flat surfaces of 8 sq.ft or more (2 galleys)
    light of many kinds (light reflective surfaces too)
    15 or 20 drawers (some being drawers inside drawers)
    small garbage & recycling bins in the drawers
    IHW
    small spray wand pull-down / pull-out hose faucet.
    22" to 28"w sink (integrated drainboard or runnels)
    one other drain point (prep sink or garbage drop)
    DW (3rd tray for cutlery) (or dishdrawers)
    tile floor (large tiles)
    deep and large toekick

• paulineinmn
    12 years ago

rococogurl, can you share a photo of your indoor outdoor rug? How did you like the oriental rug you had? I love the look of an oriental rug but am afraid of the cleanup.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Wall oven! After having one, I would never want to go back to a range oven, only. Also, gooseneck faucets...they're wonderful...and a designated baking area would be nice :)

• ginny20
    12 years ago

Butcher block cutting board built right into the counter (not a pull out).

Squared off counter edges for brushing stuff off.

Undermount sink for brushing stuff off.

Pantry door next to cooktop for spices.

• nini804
    12 years ago

After living in this rental for the past 9 months
    with a rather shallow double bowl sink...I am counting the days until I get to use my single bowl, 12" deep sink!!! I am so d@mn sick of not being able to lay a 13x9 inch pan flat in the sink! And I am so sick of spraying and splashing myself because it isn't deep enough.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pauline -- here's my indoor/outdoor Capel. This one is sisal look with dark brown plain binding which went with my kitchen colors but they come in a huge number of colors, prints, styles and sizes. They come with rubber backing (non-stinky) and lay flat. They recommend a pad which makes them super cushy but they're ok without. These are poly and sunbrella fabric so most stuff wipes right up with a miracle cloth. Haven't found that mine stains at all.

I also used orientals. They are wool so they wipe up with water and they can actually be less expensive than the Capel. I wouldn't use a super good one in the kitchen. Only problem is you cannot have a bleeder -- one had very unstable dye and I had to move it from the kitchen. It was an online purchase and under $100 but I should have been more careful.

Here's the Capel plus a detail.

Up close

Here is a link that might be useful: Capel Rugs

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Must have: Induction cooktop, wall oven, big deep single sink, bottom freezer, pull out garbage and as many big deep drawers as possible.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Y'know, considering how picky I am, I'm not sure I have that many must-must-musts in specific items. More generalities. The Gaggenau ovens, I suppose. They were the no matter what else, no matter what they cost, no matter what, I was going to have them. OTOH, some people do up an entire kitchen spruce up for what they cost. If I hadn't had the money, I could have settled well for functional ovens. Unfortunately, it seems those are few on the ground. Sigh.

Good ventilation. I am always shocked when people say they've never needed a hood. Even my cheapest rentals in college days had decently performing hoods. I won't cook without it.

Good layout. A tight enough triangle to make single cook cooking easy. (I do have zones, but I find the classic triangle very important to the way I cook.) Enough room and aisle space to spread out to allow multiple cooks multiple stations without crowding each other out.

Storage. Lots and lots and lots of storage. Specialized and convenient storage.

Light. Got bigger windows and over did the lighting, even got a lighting designer, because I so hated the pools and shadows in the old kitchen, and hated being in there after dark.

Color. I can admire all the neutral kitchens that folks here make, but I'd be sad all the time if I had to live with them.

Panels. Not a must have, but second on the list after the Gaggenau ovens for the I-don't-care-what-it-costs badge. I panelled everything that would stand still long enough, including the warming drawer. Makes the kitchen much warmer in appearance and more inviting and homey, IMO. Not for everybody, and I get the appeal of a fancy range for a focal point, but big expanses of sheet metal aren't my thing unless it's on a car. Though, thinking on, I might go for it if they still made woodies. :)

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Wall oven (A GOOD ONE).
    Prep sink.
    Full extension drawer glides.
    Pantry and/or sizable storage in crucial places. I'm tired of things spread in uppers.
    Deep drawers.
    I'm with you on the dishwasher, and the sink and high arc, pull down sprayer faucets.
    I won't have a double sink again if I have a prep sink.
    I'm too spoiled by my all-fridges and all-freezer, that I wouldn't want to crawl on the floor or bend and shuffle through a drawer for frozen goods either.
    Zones for family and group cooking/baking, which likely means an island for good flow.
    Still don't want to see kitchen mess from the living room or dining room...so I'm sticking with at least a mostly separate kitchen.
    Would love a comfy seating area in or nearby...But then, what would I need the rest of my house for?! ;-)

I would think rugs would get in my way, move and wrinkle, and otherwise drive me crazy. I like just sweeping and washing the floor.

• User
    12 years ago

Wonderful thread:

large sink with out being too deep and faucet on wall so no mess around the bases

great performing double ovens

great performing large gas cooktop with excellent quiet ventilation

large one level island and another large designated baking/serving space

wood floors

lighting where I need it

drawers

zones..so friends and family can work with me. Cooking is what our whole family is ALL about.

modest pantry as I never keep much on hand anymore

all fridge/all freezer - have to have everything where i can see it and room to retard all my sourdough.

COLOR and interesting art work and lots of interesting surfaces

my gas fireplace with a cozy chair next to it...I love to put my coffee or hot tea on top of the hot top and read a book in the winter...bliss.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Induction
    Soapstone
    a layout that allows me to spread out
    Double wall ovens
    drawers under my induction cooktop
    So OK... these are the things I know have and LOVE.
    Rhome is right about the cozy space. Even with our tiny house... if we're inside and awake, we are in the kitchen or sunroom right off the kitchen. No one EVER goes into the family room. Maybe they will when I get a flat screen in there.

• rosie
    12 years ago

Good work counter and overall functional layout. At least reasonably good storage. All located in or near a room that's inviting to enter and stay in. Everything else is preferences.

• lightlystarched
    12 years ago

Induction
    Walk in pantry
    freezer on the bottom fridge
    big sink
    cabinets that don't show wear (light maple rocks)
    As much window area as possible
    A couple of stools and a spot to visit

• natal
    12 years ago

Great thread ... even the pretentious comments are entertaining. ;)

Lots of drawers. What a blessing!

Deep sink. The old Kohler was 8" and I didn't want anything less for the new. Had to have a double so there's room for drying dishes. Some nights I don't even bother using the dishwasher. Love my pull-down Grohe faucet with only a single hole in the counter.

Wood floors.

Plenty of natural and artificial light.

Built-in fridge was a splurge and we both love it! Grew up in a house with a bottom freezer, so French door design didn't interest me.

Foot-operated trash & recycle cabinet.

30" deep peninsula for prep with raised bar that's used more than I ever imagined.

Outlet in pantry for microwave.

• sochi
    12 years ago

Bottom-mount refrigerator. I got my first bottom-mount about 10 years ago - I'm only exaggerating slightly when I saw that it changed my life. I'm with with rococogurl - never again on my knees trying to find my veggies.

Counter-depth refrigerator. This is new to me with this kitchen - I like being able to see everything easily, contributes to less waste. My pantry is shallow as well, same reasoning. I only have a family of four, so I have more than enough fridge/freezer space with my counter-depth bottom-mount.

Pull out garbage & recycling bins (four of them!). Again, I must agree with rococo - very civilized.

Induction.

Wood floors.

• ptamom
    12 years ago

A cook. Self-cleaning prefered;)

• sochi
    12 years ago

brilliant ptamom!

• gillycat
    12 years ago

on my must must have list was

instant hot - wanted it and love love love love it

comfy floor - got cork and wish i could afford to do the whole house

drawers, drawers,drawers - full extention - love them madly although i wish I had thought/planned more about what i was going to keep where for specific inserts

a couple of glassed units - love the glass I used ( baroque ) which is see-through enough but delicately patterned as to hide as well

wanted to use/incorporate an accent tile i had bought in South Africa years ago . Thought about tile counter but was persuaded against it and the tile went on the backsplash and looks amazing ( every single person has made a positive comment on it )

for extra storage & display wanted a furniture piece that looked like an heirloom. Had an idea in my head and my amazing carpenter/cabinet maker took my idea into a reality that still blows me away

no wasted space ie no filler unless neccessary. small area by stove was made into a pullout for oils and spices

beautiful sink - got Kindred granite

I wanted it to be MY kitchen and fit in the house.
    Be a place I could feel happy in

• carrie_eileen
    12 years ago

Drawers - Yes! Also agree about planning what you will put in them for built-in storage.

Places for spices.

Trash/recycling pull-out. We were on the fence on this, and our cabinetmaker's wife insisted. She was so right.

Nice pulls. My husband, who loves bicycyling, always says where you touch should feel good. He means a nice seat; I interpreted this as things that you touch a lot should feel good and substantial and comfortable.

I also love the single-basin sink. I never realized how nice it would be to be able to wash pans - a good thing.

Aesthetically, just a place you are happy with and that feels like you.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Maximize storage. In my case, that means taking cabs to ceiling and redoing my pantry so that I can find stuff more easily. And drawers, drawers, and more drawers!

Ventilation over stove. Currently have a crappy recirculating hood. I can't wait to have a good hood with at least 600 cfm that vents everything to the outside.

Either a gas or induction range or cooktop. I currently have a smoothtop electric. It's easier to clean than the coil electric I had previously, I miss having something that heats up and cools down quickly. I haven't decided if I'll go with gas or induction yet.

Good lighting. I have a nice big window in my current kitchen so improving the natural light isn't an issue. However, I hate the florescent light box in my current kitchen.

In-cab trash & recycling.

2 ovens, not including MW.

• ae2ga
    12 years ago

*drawers, drawers, drawers and pantry for storage (I've already mapped what will go where)
    *MILES of counter space
    *good performance gas stove with six burners - I'm thinking Ilve 40"
    *quality hood over the stove
    *two ovens - Ilve 40" range fits the bill again
    *French door refrigerator/bottom mount freezer
    *single bowl sink
    *bridge faucet with sprayer
    *wall of windows - let there be natural light, PLEASE!
    *soft flooring, cork if possible
    *seating for guests to talk to me
    *counter (island/peninsula) for grandsons to bake with me

• SusieQusie60
    12 years ago

If I had to pick one "MUST HAVE" for my kitchen, it would have to be my peninsula (at one time in the planning it was an island) - but it is a space where people can sit/stand and eat/chat/hang-out with me in my kitchen. My old space did NOT have that - and I desperately wanted it. I had a thread 3 or 4 months ago trying to work-out my layout to accomplish this. I could list lots of things I absolutely love in my kitchen (big Blanco sink, pendant lighting, pantry, french door refrig) but that peninsula makes the kitchen "do" what and function exactly how I want. Makes me very happy and I have it. SQ

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

What a wonderful thread - we're on kitchen #6 of our marriage, not counting apartment kitchens, so I think I have more "NEVER AGAINS!" than musts.

First to concur with others on the musts...
    Natural light spilling everywhere
    Insta HOT (lifesaving with little ones in the wee hours)
    A gas stove that works in the aftermath of hurricanes
    Pull-down faucet

Now for the never agains...
    Tile countertops. Had them twice. Their ONLY upside is that you can put hot pots and pans directly on them. Otherwise it's less of a daily kitchen clean up and more of a grout sanitization steam-cleaning circus.

White Corian. Not immune to Tumeric. No mater how much soft scrub is applied.

Shiny Black Uba Tuba. Unless you care to windex and polish after you wipe. Cause my wiping left spots.

Cabinets with built-in notches as handles. See steam-cleaning circus above.

Travertine Floors. Perhaps we're still in the "aging" phase, but ours just didn't hold up. Check back in 5 years with the new owners...

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Deep sink
    Easy to clean floors
    Easy to clean/doesn't show crumbs counters
    Furniture-style cabinetry
    well-made cabinetry
    walk-in pantry with outlet for toaster and microwave...
    if large enough, a small sink might be nice
    wide aisles
    dual fuel range (gas burners, electric ovens) with griddle
    self-close drawers
    nice faucet (they last longer, look better and never leak)

• doonie
    12 years ago

Lots of natural light
    Layers of lighting with dimmers
    Large double sink with pull down sprayer (we do a ton of hand washing)
    Drawer Microwave (I'm a definite convert to it's convenience & we use it a lot to reheat left overs)
    Lots of counter space for prepping including a large island for gathering around
    Double wall ovens
    Gas cooktop with a great ventilation hood (I haven't cooked on induction, but it does sound intriguing)
    Definitely wide aisles as recommended by the NKBA
    Drawers for cookware storage
    Walk in pantry for food storage
    And, after trying a tv in the kitchen, I really like that too!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Drawers, esp for all the tupperware type things, cookware by stove, and plates/bowls, etc.... love, love, love my all drawer lowers layout
    separate fridge and freezer - a real godsend
    freestanding garbage can - easy for all to find, easy to clean, moves where I want it
    wall mount faucet - no trying to clean around grungy base
    good size pantry storage - wonderful to have cooking supplies all in the kitchen!
    view of a tv - makes all the prepping seem to go faster
    soft floors - better on feet/back, less breakage, easier cleanup if breakage
    no corner sink or corner cabs of any kind (if at all possible). I love our new sink and sink cab setup on a straight wall.
    micro on shelf above counter (approx 13")- gives space below for landing zone and is easy to reach
    filtered drinking water faucet at sink
    icemaker
    cookie sheet storage - was tired of having to empty the oven every time I used it and having to work around the cookie sheets I took out
    open floor plan - hate being stuck in Siberia when cooking
    kitchen table in its own area - does not get covered with misc. and it is nice not to have to go to another room to serve and clean up
    plenty of outlets
    counters with some sort of pattern to them so as to not show up every tiny speck of anything a mile away!
    soft close for drawers and cabs
    natural ventilation, ceiling fan = comfy cook

• natal
    12 years ago

ICF, it's a Knape & Vogt, but unfortunately I don't think they make it anymore. If your cabinets will be frameless you can use a Hafele.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hafele foot pedal

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

Natal, thanks so much! I wish I could actually see one in person before ordering. I can't decide between the push one (like you have), and the pull one.

• ccintx
    12 years ago

Natal,

The 30 " deep peninsula with a raised bar sounds like a great idea. Do you have any photos of your kitchen and peninsula?

• gillycat
    12 years ago

for ICFgreen - my wonderful cork floor

sorry for the delay, just saw your request now

From copper

another view

From cork floor finishec

i do need to take some better pictures!

I used Durodesign and they send great samples

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Must haves:
    Good quality exhaust vent over cooktop,
    Heavy duty pro range with oven large enough for full size sheet pans,
    Deep, large single sink,
    Undercounter lights,
    D/W that leaves dishes sparkling,
    Full extension drawers,
    Walk in pantry or large pantry cabinet,
    A place to hang my potrack - I haven't put pans in a cabinet or drawer in decades & would never be satisfied again without having them close to the range.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Re: Trash foot pedal. You don't have to have frameless to use the Hafele foot pedal. One of our own GWers posted pics in the Gallery about how to use them w/face frame overlay (not inset...it won't work w/inset)

++++++++++++

From the "Pull Out Trash" thread started by ColdTropics on Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 2:43

Posted by metoo2 (My Page) on Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 19:27

View of foot pedal when cabinet is open. Keep in mind this view will be hidden when trash cans are in the cabinet:
    Hafele foot pedal door opener. Portion of the foot pedal attached to face frame bottom.
    .....http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/pull_out_trash_foot_pedal_door.html?cat=kitchens
    Metal plate mounted on bottom back of door. This is the plate that is 3.5" tall--to deal with a face framed cabinet:
    Hafele foot pedal door opener. This is the metal plate that must be mounted on the inside bottom of the door. I had to make a plate 3.5" tall in order to work with a face frame cabinet.
    .....http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/pull_out_trash_foot_pedal_meta.html?cat=kitchens
    Finally, looking at the bottom of the cabinet. Glued a scrap of wood to the back of the face frame.
    Hafele foot pedal door opener. View from the front bottom of the cabinet. Note that I glued a scrap piece of wood to the back of the face frame to reinforce the installation.
    .....http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/pull_out_trash_foot_pedal_unde.html?cat=kitchens

Posted by metoo2 (My Page) on Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 20:01

muscat: The rails are always attached to the door-regardless of whether your trash cans hang from a rail, or your trash cans sit on a base. In your picture, the cans sit on a base.

I believe that my modifications will also work with your situation (cans sitting on a base). However, you will need to make one minor modification that I did not do. That modification has to do with the elastic cords that come with the pedal.

Elastic cords (ie, bungee cords) pull the door open when the pedal is kicked. You would have to alter where the front of the cords are mounted inside the cabinet. Very easy to do.

Earlier posts on this thread refer to a version of the Hafele pedal for trash cans which sit on a base. I have not seen this product. I suspect they use the identical pedal, but altered the instructions relative to the location where to mount the elastic cords.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hafele foot pedal (502.15.113) for bins sitting in pullout "drawer/shelf":
    .....http://www.amazon.com/Foot-Pedal-Door-Opener-Pull-Out/dp/B00277ZABS

Hafele foot pedal (502.15.220) for bins hanging from rails:
    .....Unable to find this one today.

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

wow! Thanks for all the links, and the picture of the beautiful cork floors!

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Great thread! Very helpful.

Induction. Serious appliance crush. But then I am coming from a 21 year old electric coil freestanding range.

Big drawers under cooktop. Spices within easy reach.

2 ovens - I didn't have room for a double but was lucky enough for 2 separate ones. It's perfect for baking at 2 different temps or bake and broil at the same time.

Flooring that is easy on the old bones. I went with cork.

Good lighting. Especially under cabs.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH