Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncdel_gw

oil rubbed bronze hardware on darker cabinets?

ncdel
11 years ago

My cabinets are not as dark as espresso but still a relatively dark brown color. Style is generally transitional, all door handles & kitchen fixtures are oil rubbed bronze, appliances are SS.

Would you do ORB pulls/knobs on cabinets or a satin nickel or something else? I'm having a lot of trouble finding any pictures of ORB hardware on anything but white kitchens when I look around online.

I'm thinking of doing the half moon/cup style pulls on drawers & some sort of knob on cabinets.

Any advice would be great!

Cabinet color is along the lines of the photo in the link that says Kitchen Studio by Glen Ellyn (14th photo down from top)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Color 14th photo down- Kitchen Studio by Glen Ellyn

Comments (26)

• poohpup
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I used ORB pulls on all my cabinets. The island is a very dark brown Raisin. I think the ORB pulls look very rich and warm against the dark cabinets. Definitely doesn't provide contrast though, so it depends on the look that you want.

Kitchen isn't done yet (getting close!) but you can get the idea. Hope these help.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

It isn't commonly done, and I also had a really difficult time finding photos of examples. I think people usually contrast w/ nickel or something else. We chose to continue our ORB hardware, even on our dark cabinets.

I am attaching one photo. This isn't in our kitchen... it's a bathroom. Still, you can get a sense of how it would look all dark.

{{gwi:1921998}}

• deedles
    11 years ago

I was gonna vote no, til I saw the pics. It looks lovely with the darker cabs... less 'busy' or something....

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Here's the photo you were referencing - it's easier for us to see it here than to click and count :)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cherry-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~44238)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Chicago Kitchen And Bath The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn

It really depends on the look you are trying to achieve. ORB is more traditional in styling and I normally think of a the dark kitchen cabinets as being more contemporary/transitional. That being said, I think ORB can work given the right pairings.

• beeps
    11 years ago

I agree with deedles. In my mind it didn't look so great. Seeing the above pics it looks beautiful! Almost enough to make me rethink my choice! (Except I don't think ORB looks contemporary and my house will be very contemporary.) Given faucet and door handles are ORB, and it looks fab above, I'd go that way.

• ncdel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW thank you all so much!!! You clearly surf houzz much better than I do :). My house is definitely not contemporary & we're more transitional so I think it would work for us... I was also finding a lot of really long sleek handles in all the photos I was finding online so it is great to see some other styles, now I feel way better.
    Thanks!

• sandesurf
    11 years ago

Here's mine :)

• Laurie
    11 years ago

I went with ORB also, on dark quartersawn oak. Picture isn't best to show off the pulls since that wasn't the point of taking it but you can see them anyway.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I would have never thought to do dark on dark, but I love the look! I like things that are unique--there's so much of "following the formula" on GW. The next time I hear "creamy white", I think I'm gonna scream!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate.
    Current "wisdom" or decorating style/choices dictate they contrast with the cabinets.

To me, this is far too often just more visual clutter. Particularly on white.

The subtle gleam of the hardware against dark wood is much more sophisticated to me. More classic, aged, and elegant.

This coming from a woman who still hasn't even built her cabinet door/drawer faces. But I know what I like! :)

Lovely kitchens. All of these!

• beeps
    11 years ago

Wow. Never would I have guessed that I might seriously think about changing to ORB or something dark for my cabs - but I'm thinking about it seriously now. Those really are gorgeous!

The pulls are one thing I will do after completion of the house so I don't have to decide before I see the cabs in the kitchen. That may sway me one way or the other, but I surely won't be buying all my pulls ahead of time in BN now as I had planned. I will have to give darker pulls serious consideration!

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    11 years ago

I did ORB on dark in my previous kitchen, where I was trying to go with a traditional Spanish-type look in the brick-floored/viga'd ceilinged adobe house.

This pic shows the cabs and ORB from when I was trying to figure out the backsplash (and installing a split-unit AC! and I can't find my completed pics!):

I like all ones posted here but then I like looking at pictures of kitchens in general :) .

cheers

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

we did it and love it, if you email me, i can send you pics.

love not having the "visual clutter". (stealing CEFreeman quote) sorry christine - hope u don't mind!!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Mind?
    I'm just glad you know what I mean.
    ... I'm not alone in the mental noise.
    [LOL]

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I thought I'd want nickel, too, but when I held them up, I much preferred the ORB. My cabs are only medium, not dark, but I love ORB on wood.

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

christine,

you are not alone :) lol!!!!

• taylorguitar
    9 years ago

I love all the photos particularly poop_pup's island. I think the dark wood with dark ORB gives a rich warm look and feel. I will have dark Java Cherry cabinets, White Springs granite, travertine backsplash and ORB hardware. I find it a challenge finding dark real oil rubbed bronze iron...such a spectrum and so much cheap gleaming shiny bronzy gold out there. Can u please tell me where you purchased your hardware-true ORB and manufacture?! Thank you so much!

• tomcircle
    9 years ago

Wow. Never would I have guessed that I might seriously think about changing to ORB or something dark for my cabs - but I'm thinking about it seriously now. Those really are gorgeous!

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

ours are Amerock, highland ridge...love them, very comfortable in your hand. we did the pulls and rectangle knobs.. was so tired of round knobs.
    bought thru our cabinet maker.

• taylorguitar
    9 years ago

Thank you sprtphntc...gorgeous color cabinets-kitchen. In your 1st photo,(upclose) the hardware looks totally pewter or matt silver though not ORB...Can you explain...As I need rich very dark (but not black)ORB matte real iron/metal. I initially though matte black to go with our handmade black custom potrack, wroight iron stair wells etc..and not be matchy matchy with hardware but the black didn't look good with my sample wood and so I'll have no contrast but go with dark ORB. LOVE the look. I am so thankful I found this page/thread..Apparently I'm not doing what is the trend but I go with what I love which tends to be timeless IMHO, traditional with rustic leanings.

• taylorguitar
    8 years ago

So excited...found handmade gorgeous real Bronze in dark ORB patina from Sun Valley Bronze Hardware and just ordered for my entire house! It is not cheap but amazingly beautiful.....there goes our budget for hardware but why get beautiful solid cherry cabinets and new professional appliances and skimp on the hardware which can make or break it all. Love the dark wood with the finish...warm, rich, elegant, classic imo. I highly suggest Rocky Mtn Hardware or Sun Valley Bronze! :)

• sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

sorry TG, i just saw your post, i think its the lighting and/or flash as they are not pewter or silver at all.... i don't know if this pic helps, was showing the floor on this one..... the hardware is really a dark brown with glints of copper, really pretty IRL

• taylorguitar
    8 years ago

Looks gorgeous sprtphntc in that pic...Love your cabinets...the color is beautiful and yes, in this photo the hardware looks dark...as u described and "perfect". :) Thanks for sharing. :)

• sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

your welcome, HTH

• Alicia Thomas
    4 years ago

So glad I found this thread. Makes me feel better about my decision to do dark cabinets with ORB hardware. Lol