Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Do I need to shore up this cabinet for a large marble top?

greenhaven
9 years ago

I AM SO EXCITED! I found the PERFECT remnant of statuarietto marble at a drop-dead price, it is exactly what I wanted! And being fabricated as the top for my sideboard as we speak!

The cabinet I bought is, essentially, a 60" kitchen sink base, off-the-shelf unfinished oak. On this sideboard I plan to keep my microwave and 5-gallon fish tank, so I really feel like I should shore up this cabinet. As you can plainly see from the photo it is not, err, top-quality. ;o) In case you are having trouble with it this shot is of the top of the cabinet. It is lying on it's back in my truck.

What is the best way to shore it up without looking ghetto from the outside?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Center a full size 3/4" divider and veneer the front edge; the doors will cover it.

• User
    9 years ago

Gasoline and a match. An old dresser from Craigslist would be a heck of a lot sturdier. Probably less money too.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I have been looking for weeks for a good resale piece. It is very hard to find things anymore! I did find a couple dressers but I really need the cabinet space. And this is a match for the kitchen cabs. It'll do for now, and will be so pretty once I get it painted up!

Thanks, Trebuchet, that is what I was hoping. One will be enough?

• ajc71
    9 years ago

If you put a center divider, make sure there is a matching divider within the toe space so the weight carries through to the floor

• ajc71
    9 years ago

If you put a center divider, make sure there is a matching divider within the toe space so the weight carries through to the floor

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

excellent point, ajc71, thanks!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I'm partial to supports on either end, too. Even though the sidewalls should support it, I'm into overkill as far as weight is concerned. Better too much support, IMHO.

SO cool that you found the stone! What an AHA moment!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think you are right, CEFreeman. I think I will take off those practically-good-for-nothing stabilizer pieces and replace them with the plywood supports.

I wonder, if instead of doing one plywood support in the middle I did two on the sides I could then run a couple 2x's or 1x's from piece to piece to support the middle? Would the middle be supported enough this way?

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

You don't say what size, and therefore what weight the slab is going to be, but bearing the weight is mostly a function of transmitting the weight down vertical walls, so walls that are substantial enough not to bow under weight, and enough of them, and distributed sufficiently evenly under the weight load.

But also think about the stress of the weight causing the box structure to rack or twist, and reinforcement for these forces as well. So corner reinforcements to keep things square and from twisting or racking.

And of course cantilevered support as well if your slab will extend beyond weight bearing vertical walls (angle brackets, corbels, steel rods or plate). Remember the 1/3 - 2/3 rule especially on a smaller island with cantilevered stone ledge. You must have at least 2/3 of the slab mass over the perimeter wall support so the entire mass doesn't tip from the weight offset of the cantilevered part. And remember to bolt the island cabinet to the floor!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

What I'm thinking is, turning your cabinet right side up.
    In each corner, a 2x4 vertically from floor (and under toe kick) to the countertop.

Since yours looks like it's 3 cabinets, I'd also put one where the fake stiles are, Front and back.

I'd then pocket screw or bracket each one to a horizontal piece. I'm not so certain I'd go with 1s or 2s, since we both know they're only 3/4" or 1.5" It'd cost nothing but time to use more serious support.

I'm also thinking that the back wall horizontal support will be the most important, nailed into the studs, because that will be the most important if that particle board fails.

Can you please post a pic of it right side up? I'd like to see this cabinet, since you searched forever for the perfect one.

Just for the record, my 36" sink base is retrofitted to my farm sink. (Which weights 150lbs, BTW.) I have a 2x8" running horizontally underneath the apron, angle screwed into the plywood sides. I have that rear, horizontal 2x4 I mentioned, because other than the sides, this whole cabinet is 1950's fiber/particle crap. The cabinet can dissolve, but my framing and my sink will remain in place.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

beautybutdebtfree, great info, thanks! Slab will be about 61.5" by 27", and I was told around 22 lb/sq ft, so a little over 220 pounds.

edited to add: I know the cabinet will hold the marble just fine, but it is, as you say, the addition of things like fish tanks that could be problematic. The last thing I want is for it to bow and crack.

CEFreeman, let me make it abundantly clear that this is NOT my ideal cabinet, lol! The fact is, I got sick and tired of looking and looking and thinking and thinking and made the executive decision to take the cheap way in order to get past my mental blockage. I will be attaching the top in such a way that it can be re-used in the case that I find or order or make something more suitable in the future.

Nonetheless, I will take a pic tomorrow when I unload it from the truck and start getting it primed and ready to paint.

This post was edited by greenhaven on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 23:02

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Greenhaven, I got that it wasn't your ideal cabinet in your very first post. I wasn't digging. You know I've done the same thing and eventually found what I wanted. It might take time, but sometimes you need to get something in.

In my case, with the kitchen sink, my dissolvable cabinet was in before I discovered reuse centers, or before I realized I could make something better. Now? At least it's not visible... When I've saved enough for soapstone, that will include the $$ for a counter height window, AND a new, deeper sink in a new base cabinet. Or, I might just use the frame already there and just build around it! Options!

I haven't seen any pics of your kitchen since you started ripping it apart. Got any updates?

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Psshh...updates? Hardly, lol! I picked paint color and added a couple pieces of filler and that is all that has happened in many weeks. Aside from the aforementioned thinking and looking, lol. Tile guy has not called me back so I must start planning to do the splash myself. I just want it done!

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Greenhaven, Yeah, that top is no big deal at a mere couple hundred pounds. Fish tanks, however... I know a little about them...

• Fori
    9 years ago

Ooo a fish room!

I am not sure how to make a cabinet sturdier, but I really have no idea how one sticks with a 5 gallon fish tank!