Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does River White granite discolor after a few years?

Posted by raee (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 16:38

Maybe Oldryder can help?

I was talking with a fabricator about choosing a granite color; I saw a sample of River White and really liked it. But, she told me that River White was not only softer and more porous than average, but she said that it would "bloom" over time -- like a couple of years--with a greenish color from the resins used on (in?) it during preparation. She was really discouraging about this choice. Has anyone experienced this?

She also said that Kashmir white was similar in its negative qualities and also not available now.

What are some other grey-white, subtle patterned granites that would be more durable?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does River White granite discolor after a few years?

I believe your fabricator is correct! I've had my River White for a yr and a half and lately I thought some areas looked a little darker than it did when it was first installed. It's not everywhere, just where there are heavier swirls. These areas were always a nice gray-green color, now they are just a darker gray-green, but not in a bad way. Again, it's not all over and it's just a subtle darkening. I've had no problems with the granite. It's good that your fabricator made you aware of this.

o

Thanks jentrex, but I wonder if you are seeing what she meant, because I had commented that a greenish tone --gray-green or olive - wouldn't bother me and she said "more like lime jello"!

Glad to hear that after a year & half you've had no problems.

o

Here's a previous thread on green bloom, described as fluorescent green.

Here is a link that might be useful: green bloom

o

Thanks, may_flowers! If I decide to use River white (or any of the white granites) I will be sure to ask about preventing this.

o

I was told this was only an issue with the older accelerants used. The new accelerants don't cause have this issue. Is that correct?

o

River White and Kasmir White can both darken some with time. The "green bloom is caused when an accelerant is used to quicken the cure time of cyanoacrylic glue/filler. There are some new accelerants that are less likely to cause green blooms but there is still many on the market that still will cause this.

The sales lady is mistaken by stating the stone will do this on it's own.

This post was edited by kevdp4 on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 20:06

o

Would it still do it if it was honed?

o

I'm no expert, but what I've read about green bloom says it happens very shortly after the stone is fabricated. Like within a few days, maybe a few weeks. And it's the result of a chemical used in fabrication, not a flaw in the stone

o

Thank you, kevdp4! I'm in the process of finding a fabricator now (a surprising difficult task). I've had my mind set on River White but was having second thoughts after seeing discussion of "green bloom."

o

I'm so sorry to hear about your granite. Now I'm wondering about our choice. Does anyone know if this green bloom affects bianco romano granite, too?

o

The 'green bloom" does not occur naturally in the stone. It is caused by the accelerator that is sometimes used during the fabrication/install process. If no accelerator is used by the fabricator/installer there should be no "green bloom".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here