Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyfig

Secret Sources. Finding the best Ingredients

rubyfig
14 years ago

A sideline from the discussion on spice storage, I thought I would share a few of my all-time favorite mail order food "finds". Please add your favorites!

Here are mine:

For SPICES, Seasoned Pioneers. They export to the US. Their spice mixes are "one stop" for marinating and seasoning veggies, fish, meat, etc. and they bother to tell you which seasoning they like paired with which type of food. The mixes come in no-fuss air sealed zip packets and they are color coordinated by cooking region (which makes them easy to pair):

Seasoned Pioneers

www.seasonedpioneers.co.uk

For COFFEE, this is our all-time favorite source (whole bean). Although we have our favorites, I can't think of a coffee we didn't like. Seth Appell is as passionate about sourcing coffee as I think it is possible to be, and the end product shows it! He knows his stuff. "For a friend" Coupon code 31221 will save you $5 off your first order.

Old Bisbee Roasters

www.uniquecoffe.com

For CHICKENS we searched high and low for a year before we found this source for poultry. If you expect chicken breasts to be large enough to fill you, this is not for you. The organically fed chickens are small heritage breeds that are raised cage free in a safe and sanitary environment. The meat is very flavorful and the texture is as it should be (and we use every last bit of them!). Fabulous for eating and especially for homemade stocks.

Rainbow Ranch Farms

www.rainbowranchfarms.com

plllog, would you mind adding your Saffron source to this thread?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    14 years ago

Thanks Ruby! I'm going to try the chickens.
    I have not been pleased with the birds I've gotten from the market lately, even whole foods...
    I'll add some of my favorites:

For OLIVE OIL, i've tried a bunch, and I've finally settled on the oil from DaVero in Sonoma county. I use the reserve oil for finishing and salad dressing, and the 30-weight line lube for everything else.
    www.davero.com

for BALSAMIC VINEGAR, nothing beats O & Co.'s Premium Balsamic Vinegar of Modena. A splash of this, a splash of DaVero's reserve olive oil, a little salt & pepper, and you've got the perfect salad dressing.
    www.oliviersandco.com

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I have nothing to add but a great big THANK YOU for this! I've never ordered food stuffs before... this will be a start.

• homepro01
    14 years ago

My favorite for spices is Savory Spice Shop.
    My favorite for Olive Oil is St. Helena Olive Oil Company.

My favorite for Tea is Takashiyama.

My favorite coffee by far is Urth Cafe.

We have great local produce, poultry, lamb and goat:-)

I don't drink, so I can't really help with alcohol.

When I miss home, I order something from Zingerman's.

Best of luck!

• homepro01
    14 years ago

Sorry the link for Urth Caffe does not work in previous message.

Good luck!

• rubyfig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First, let me say thank you, most of these I have never seen before and I am in foodie heaven.

Drinks, I forgot about that. A few more:

TEA
    Adagio tea has a large selection of specialty teas.
    Adagio Teas
    www.adagio.com

WINE
    K & L's wine club delivers some spectacular values, and we are very rarely disappointed with their picks.
    K & L Wine Merchants
    www.klwines.com

• alku05
    14 years ago

I've been a Penzeys Spice addict for years. I could see the Columbus Penzeys store from the bedroom window of the first apartment I had in grad school. Now, I'm hours from any of their retail locations and order online from penzeys.com. They have very fresh spices at good prices, and we enjoy a lot of their spice blends.

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Oh to live in the US, where one can have wine shipped to one's door...sigh.

For my fellow Canadians on this forum, here are a couple of my favourites:

Spices: The Spice Trader
    http://www.thespicetrader.ca/
    Great selection, very fresh, and unusual spices available. We shop at their retail location, which is an adorable little shop in Toronto, but I know they do a brisk business online too. LOVE the packaging!

Meat: Scotch Mountain Meats
    http://www.scotchmountainmeats.com/index.php
    They will deliver meats to a farmers' market near you. The lamb is particularly good!

The next couple are not "online" for ordering but worth seeking out

Poultry and other meats: Rowe Farms
    http://www.rowefarms.ca/index.html
    While their retail stores are primarily in the GTA and Guelph, they sell their products in groecry stores as well. Well worth seeking out. The BEST chicken!

Genral gourmet food store: Pasquale bros.
    http://www.pasqualebros.com/
    It's in an inconvenient location, it's only open Monday to Friday (until 4:30!!), it's only in Toronto, but other than that it's so great! Fantastic and unusual gourmet food products. Lots of stuff from Italy and Spain. Worth a trip.

Eliz

• plllog
    14 years ago

Sorry to be late. I was off at a wedding. Great topic!

Per Rubyfig's request: The best saffron, both sting and most especially powdered come from Vanilla, Saffron Imports in S.F. They also have wonderfully pungent vanilla. And send samples with the saffron. :) Which comes in a pretty box. Yummy.

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

If you roast your own coffee, you can't beat Sweet Maria's. I've been ordering from them for several years. They give detailed cuppings of their coffees which helps me choose a coffee. For example, we like low acidity (that's brightness, not acid that eats your stomach) and high body or mouthfeel. They also sell grinders, various kinds of coffee pots and makers, and give detailed info on making coffee.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Maria's Coffee

• overlyoptimistic
    14 years ago

Shh, don't give away the secret to Sweetmarias. :)

Just kidding, but they do provide the best darn green beans and often go beyond Fair Trade.