Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgopp

The finished kitchen, lots of pics inside, beer too!

jgopp
12 years ago

Hey everyone, I know it's been a long time coming for me. I thought I was going to get a really good photographer to come in and take pics but it just hasn't panned out so I used my cell phone with the HD option on. Just a notice, it's not the greatest camera and my picture taking ability isn't that great, nor do I know how to use photoshop. So what you get is what you get. Hopefully they are good enough for you.

Now onto the details...

The project was conceptualized last October, construction began in mid November. We had semi functional use of it during Christmas but it still had a long way to go. After lots of structural repairs and slight idea changes along the way the project was probably completed with decorating done by late February. The place is considerably more functional and the floor is no longer going to collapse through to the basement. I decided to remove a large pantry which was taking up too much space, as well as remove the dining room closet which was too small to be used for anything. Those you can see in the before pictures. The lovely lady in those pictures is not me btw.

It took me many trips to the stores and many conversations to finally get everything dialed in exactly the way I wanted it. I feel that the style I have is very fitting to the home which is from 1922. Not sure exactly how I would categorize it but if I had to take a stab I'd say, somewhat traditional, somewhat french country, somewhat professional. But the final product came out very warm and inviting. We use the kitchen 10 fold now compared to the old one for entertaining purposes alone.

The old kitchen was a functional disaster and I wish I had some pictures of it before, but I only have pictures of the day of first removal. I have a video though of the kitchen before which I will post here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFlVyHeKd5I

Moving right along then... and since everyone loves to know what every little detail is I guess I'll have to run down the list which as follows:

Countertops: Super-white quartzite, and yes the island is all one single slab

Backsplash: herringbone Carrara marble with matte finish subway tiles

Flooring: Virginia hardwood wide plank hickory

Fridge: Sub-zero 36SXS

Micro: Viking designer series

Wall oven: Bertazzoni 24 inch classic electric

Range: 36 inch Bertazzoni gas

Hood: 40 inch Viking designer series with 650cfm

DW: Fisher and Paykel tall dishdrawer

Sink: Elkay stainless farmhouse

Bar sink: Kohler trough

Main faucet: Rohl country in satin

Bar faucet: Rohl country series, not exactly sure what model

Washer+dryer: Samsung front loaders

Chairs: Restoration hardware french cafe Madeline chairs

Other goodies: full extension soft close drawers, heavy cast knobs and pulls (some outfit in NJ) love the pulls because they actually are screwed directly into the face. The beer setup is a Khrome design tower with Perlick no drop faucets. Entryway color tiles on the stairs are from Pewabic pottery in Detroit, the steps are a shale of some sort.

Enough talk I'm sure you've already passed by all that and moved right down here to where I've stashed what you are all waiting for...

Before:

During:

And completed:

Any other pictures of specific areas I will try and make happen if you'd like. Ask any questions as well, I'll be around to answer them for you. Thanks so much for looking, and thanks for the great ideas and the knowledge I've gained from using this fine website.

Comments (144)

• laurenfounder
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

GRAND idea with the beer!
    Gorgeous kitchen, love the counter-top.
    Enjoy it!!!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

amy: you are correct, I had the builder make me a cubbie for the microwave because the trim kit would have taken it out to 30 from 24 and not matched the oven. I also find that micro trim kits are kind of ugly and don't fit my style so I saved about 600 bucks not buying it as well. Don't be stealing my whole kitchen now! ;)

lauren: thank you, I do enjoy it everyday.

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

jgopp....If I could come in the middle of the night and pick it up and place it in my house I would be one HAPPY camper. Oh well...I'll settle for my old house and all the issues that come with it! :) Thanks again for the Berta info. I'm leaning toward the 36"...instead of the 30" with wall oven..but we will see.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha ha ha, yeah old houses are great though! Good luck on your remodel, and I'm telling you 36!

• JeannieMer
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen! And I have NO heat in my kitchen, so I am totally showing your radiator cabinet to my contractor - whoever he may be at this point :) [We have a few bids coming in...]

Your housekeeper should start a page on ETSY.com --- she might not be a housekeeper for long.

• dreamteam
    12 years ago

Can I just do like amy and steal it please? I'm ending up picking a lot of the same things you like. Guess that's why they call it inspiration.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No heat in your kitchen Jeannie? Absolutely you should look into doing what I have done, I can't imagine having a kitchen without a heater.

• j-yk
    12 years ago

I am a newbie here. Wow, your kitchen is stunning... What are the knobs? What is the finish and the size? Thank you!

I am in the middle of kitchen remodel and the cabinets are not even up and I already can't wait till everything is over...

• editionk
    12 years ago

jgopp, thank you for posting your kitchen. Because of you I think I've found my paint color! As an OP you never know what a reader will take away; I'm taking away paint (and I love your main faucet too).

The large chip on my wall is much darker than yours appears on my monitor, but Rosemary Sprig is at the top of my short list right now.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

j-yk: The knobs and pulls are from a company in New Jersey, they are very heavy and made in the USA. I cannot for the life of me remember the name though. The pulls are special to be because they are one of the only brands that actually still has "screw into cabinet face" pulls. Most others go through and are tightened on the back of the cabinet. Give it a much more authentic feel to me. They are finished in satin. The pulls range in size from the small ones being 3.75in and the big ones are 4in. The knobs are 1.25in.

editionk: It is fairly dark but it isn't oppressive to where it really tones the kitchen down overall. I really am happy with the color. Good luck.

• fleur222
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is very special and lovely. The details give it character. I love the blue color on the ceiling, the countertops, the carpet and the sketch! Your housekeeper could definitely make money with her talent.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Wow.
    I had asked if anyone had a kegerator because I'm considering it and am thrilled to see how great yours came out!

Could you tell me the fabric (?) you have on your valance? I love the pattern. I think it must be fabric, because if someone painted it....!!! Or wall paper, too, I guess.

Oh - and I'm from Mason. Went to Western, though. Sisters are Spartans thru and thru.

Thanks!
    Christine

• leia_in_lalaland
    12 years ago

Wow! What an amazing kitchen! I love the tile work on the back of the steps. I was immediately reminded of The Adamson House in Malibu, CA -

http://www.adamsonhouse.org/Tour/Kitchen/kitchen.html

As an aside, for anyone who loves period architecture - especially Spanish Colonial Revival - the Adamson is a great little field trip if you're visiting the area or live here.

jgopp, your kitchen gives me the feel I get from visiting those historic-type pay-to-view houses with great kitchens. I love it! The radiator cabinet, the window trim, the glass door knobs . . . everything!

Here is a link that might be useful: Adamson House

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CEFree: the valance is made of a cloth I got from a catalog. I had the builder make a plywood frame and then add foam and put the cloth over it. Super happy with the result.

Leia: thanks for the kind compliments :) I was actually featured on my local kitchen tour just a few months ago.

• ultraviolet
    12 years ago

Are the colored tiles above the step from Pewabic?

And I lovelovelove the little framed Detroit buildings you've got - did you get those framed or find them already framed?

Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous.

• lee676
    12 years ago

I like those hanging lamps over the island that carry over the beer-tap motif. Do you remember who made them?

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Single guy with an upholstered valance. You better have built-in beer.

Great kitchen, btw.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ultra: yes they are from pewabic. It seems like everyone just shoots right to the photos because I did put it in the description :P I bought the pictures pre-framed at a local gallery, they are hand painted. Thanks for the compliment!

lee: they are from restoration hardware, called the benson pendant. They are pretty popular, a lot of people have them I think. Those are the 7inch size. I decorated them for the holidays as you can see here.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo: hahaha! My hobby is interior design if it's not totally apparent, kind of unusual for guys but hey I'm not going to fight it. I retain my man card with the beer tap I assume. I do like the term "chick-bait kitchen" that someone else coined for me, luckily I know how to cook too!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

The Palladian Blue (which I almost used for my DR) on the ceiling is a great touch. I keep begging people who install the OTK to at least consider a color on their ceiling, but no takers.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah it is one of the most remarked on features in my kitchen. Really brings out the beams. From the get-go I knew I wanted a colored ceiling. White would have been way too boring, especially since my cabinets stop 5 inches from the ceiling.

• lee676
    12 years ago

Oops, I noticed after I posted that that you already specified what the lights were.

Like everyone else here, I find this kitchen to be an absolute stunner. Incredible attention to detail, loaded with unique touches that eschew trendiness for origininality, which means it will look great for years to come instead of quickly becoming dated.

I'm about to tackle two kitchen remodels (both in the same house) if things work as scheduled. Like yours, it's an older house with plaster-and-lath walls which I've never dealt with. Did you just replace it with drywall?

I too am wresting with the cooktop-width question. Rather than a 36"w stove, I'm planning to use a Gaggenau 24"w, four-burner halogen cooktop and a matching 12"w grill, since I love grilled food. (Note to the ladies - if you want your man to help with the cooking, be sure there's a grill in the kitchen). For the secondary kitchen, I'll use a two-burner cooktop again with a matching grill. It's a smaller house, with about 4 bedrooms (depending on what you count) so I hope that will suffice. Each will have a 24" or 27" single oven similar to yours (but with a side-opening door), and at least the larger kitchen will have a 30"w built-in GE Advantium 240v speed oven/microwave, which doubles as a second oven. I'll likely use the same setup you did with the disparate widths of the oven and microwave. I'd love a clear-ice machine for mixed drinks and a combined washer/dryer built under the countertop (in addition to a basement laundry with separate W and D). I'll probably forgo a kegerator for a wine fridge, but at least you have wine nooks in your cabinets.

One thing I feel compelled to point out though - your laundry closet is not up to code. Dryers constantly exhaust air out of the room and when placed in enclosed closets, need to have a way for replacement air to get in. Every dryer installation guide I've seen mentions this and specifies the size and placement of louvers in the closet doors. For your closet doors, grilles like the ones in the radiator cabinets would work well, but solid doors won't fly if an inspector comes around. (For now, leave the doors open when running the dryer).

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lee: thanks for the compliments. Good luck with your project. Yeah I just had it replaced with drywall. And speaking to the laundry, I'm aware of the issue, the inspector told me as long as I leave the doors open during use everything will be fine. There is actually a small note on the inside of the doors from him.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

"marcolo: hahaha! My hobby is interior design if it's not totally apparent, kind of unusual for guys but hey I'm not going to fight it. I retain my man card with the beer tap I assume. I do like the term "chick-bait kitchen" that someone else coined for me, luckily I know how to cook too!"

Oh my jgopp... I think I might be in love!! A man who designs and cooks!

• lee676
    12 years ago

I'm starting to think I should drastically upscale my upcoming kitchen revamp.... and learn to cook....

• leia_in_lalaland
    12 years ago

I am so taken with your kitchen that I ended up visiting www.historicproperties.com late last night.

One question I have that I didn't think to ask yesterday (and if you've answered it I missed it along the way) - how tall is the cabinet you had built over the radiator? We have a similar space (sans radiator) to fill below a window and although I would like to make it counter height (it's desk height now) it would involve changing the window size. I really love that cabinet and that (along with the beer tap) were the details of your kitchen I relayed to my husband last night. His eyes glazed over a little less than usual because of the b-e-e-r word.

• melsey
    12 years ago

Absolutely. Unbelievably. Awesome.

Excellent job!!!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mercy: ha ha ha, well I'm always looking :)

leia: that is the standard counter height of 36 inches. I'm glad you were able to get your husband a bit more involved! Maybe a beer tap is in your future.

melsey: thanks for the compliments

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

"mercy: ha ha ha, well I'm always looking :)"

Yeah, unfortunately my DH wouldn't take too kindly to me running off with Beer Tap Man... LOL!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Lee676, grilling food is great and as long as you know how to grill food, you will win a women's heart. I used to date a man who used to cook for me when I visited him in the summer time and he would grill the food as I helped him prepare the rest of the meal. This was years ago when I had the smallest kitchen in my tiny apartment with no room so we usually went out when he visited me for dinner. I wish I had a beautiful kitchen then or at least one with nice appliances like I have now. My GE Caf� over helped me bake a delicious turkey! I love my new gas range since I bought it in December 2009. I also love the grill attachment.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mercy: will I forever be known as beer tap man? Because I'll gladly take that title, it's like my alter-ego superhero name or something.

• editionk
    12 years ago

jgopp - I went for it with Rosemary Sprig and I love it. Thanks for posting your kitchen.

I did pause just for a minute when we demo'd the original cabs and found the old 1970s avocado paint on the walls. I taped my paint chip on the avocado wall and laughed at how similar they were.

I love it 110%!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

editionk: glad you like it!

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

gorgeous. Nice job!! Can i ask you what the dimensions are of your island? Thanks!!

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

Never mind. Just found the dimensions of your island in one of the posts. I do have a question, however, about the sink in your island. How do you like that? We will have to put our sink in the island and I just wonder about the functionality, especially cleanup?

• mamadadapaige
    12 years ago

WOW!! so many amazing details. I just took a quick glance and can't wait to spend more time pouring over all of your efforts. I love the stair risers! and all of it. well done!

• catbuilder
    12 years ago

jgopp: Are you in SE Michigan? If so, who was your stone supplier?

• carnivore
    12 years ago

How are you liking the dishdrawers now that you've had them for a while? I've seen some pretty mixed reviews, some people saying it's hard to arrange the dishes and others having issues with performance and/or repairs. Any problems with yours?

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

annsch: I really like having the sink in the island as opposed to being on the outside. It is great for clean up, and it is nice to be able to place plates directly into the sink and DW from the eat-in space. I wouldn't have it any other way.

cat: I got the stone I believe from a place called "Universal Granite" if I can remember properly. It is on 13 and 75.

carnivore: for me having the drawers is great since I live alone and there are not a lot of dishes to do daily. I do notice it doesn't have as much capacity as my old one but I've learned to arrange things in certain ways over time to maximize the space. To date I have had zero problems with them and would absolutely recommend them to anyone.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I had to visit this kitchen to show a friend who is visiting. He also loves the ceiling, the radiator covers, the color of the walls, the style of the cabinets, the gorgeous counters, the lighting, the appliances, so many windows for natural light, the laundry room area, the hardware on the cabinets and just the overall beautiful look. I totally agree with him. Thanks again for sharing the details.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lynn: glad to hear! Hopefully it will continue to inspire.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

just wanted to let you know it continues to inspire Beer tap man even a whole year later : ))) gorgeous kitchen.

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

jgopp: congratulations on a beautiful job! WOW.
    would you share the dimensions of your kitchen? I am wondering how wide it is and what the distance is bwtn your island, back wall and range. if you can, it would be super helpful to know the length of each wall.
    What an inspiration !! TY so much for sharing!

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

It's phenomenally pretty! The beer tap though is just too much...hope my DH never finds that picture or we will be forced to tap a keg at our house. I am sure my recycling drawer or baking drawer or something else will be gone in favor of the beer tap if he saw that.

Love that trough sink for storing wine in during parties too!

• chickpea8
    11 years ago

Gorgeous, thanks for sharing? We are currently choosing countertops for our kitchen reno and your pictures are selling me on Superwhite!

Questions:
    1. What edge did you use on your counters?
    2. What is the height between your countertop and the bottom of your cabinets? I think 18 inches is standard, yours look a bit higher which is what we are thinking of doing in our new kitchen.
    3. Do you know the company that made your cabinet knob hardware, where did you buy it?
    Thanks much!

• marc_ia
    11 years ago

I've always been taught that its wrong to envy and covet but you're making it VERY hard!!! Lol. It is fantastically beautiful.

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

I couldn't get past the beer keg picture, was there more to see?

• sarends
    11 years ago

Wow! Great job!

• Staci McGee
    6 years ago
    This is beautiful!!! Question.... what placement did you use for your Kegerator? I'm trying to figure out how to have the tap drip into the sink like yours, but there's not enough room height wise since the countertop rests on the top of the kegerator. Thanks!
  • Mitch
    3 years ago

jgopp, can you provide details on your kegerator setup? Assuming you had an under-counter kegerator, how did you fit the sink? Did you need to offset the tower? We have 36" of counter but our kegerator is 24" so we're trying to figure out how to add the counter, sink, and faucet.