Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The finished kitchen, lots of pics inside, beer too!

Posted by jgopp (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 16:31

Hey everyone, I know it's been a long time coming for me. I thought I was going to get a really good photographer to come in and take pics but it just hasn't panned out so I used my cell phone with the HD option on. Just a notice, it's not the greatest camera and my picture taking ability isn't that great, nor do I know how to use photoshop. So what you get is what you get. Hopefully they are good enough for you.

Now onto the details...

The project was conceptualized last October, construction began in mid November. We had semi functional use of it during Christmas but it still had a long way to go. After lots of structural repairs and slight idea changes along the way the project was probably completed with decorating done by late February. The place is considerably more functional and the floor is no longer going to collapse through to the basement. I decided to remove a large pantry which was taking up too much space, as well as remove the dining room closet which was too small to be used for anything. Those you can see in the before pictures. The lovely lady in those pictures is not me btw.

It took me many trips to the stores and many conversations to finally get everything dialed in exactly the way I wanted it. I feel that the style I have is very fitting to the home which is from 1922. Not sure exactly how I would categorize it but if I had to take a stab I'd say, somewhat traditional, somewhat french country, somewhat professional. But the final product came out very warm and inviting. We use the kitchen 10 fold now compared to the old one for entertaining purposes alone.

The old kitchen was a functional disaster and I wish I had some pictures of it before, but I only have pictures of the day of first removal. I have a video though of the kitchen before which I will post here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFlVyHeKd5I

Moving right along then... and since everyone loves to know what every little detail is I guess I'll have to run down the list which as follows:

Countertops: Super-white quartzite, and yes the island is all one single slab
Backsplash: herringbone Carrara marble with matte finish subway tiles
Flooring: Virginia hardwood wide plank hickory
Fridge: Sub-zero 36SXS
Micro: Viking designer series
Wall oven: Bertazzoni 24 inch classic electric
Range: 36 inch Bertazzoni gas
Hood: 40 inch Viking designer series with 650cfm
DW: Fisher and Paykel tall dishdrawer
Sink: Elkay stainless farmhouse
Bar sink: Kohler trough
Main faucet: Rohl country in satin
Bar faucet: Rohl country series, not exactly sure what model
Washer+dryer: Samsung front loaders
Chairs: Restoration hardware french cafe Madeline chairs
Other goodies: full extension soft close drawers, heavy cast knobs and pulls (some outfit in NJ) love the pulls because they actually are screwed directly into the face. The beer setup is a Khrome design tower with Perlick no drop faucets. Entryway color tiles on the stairs are from Pewabic pottery in Detroit, the steps are a shale of some sort.

Enough talk I'm sure you've already passed by all that and moved right down here to where I've stashed what you are all waiting for...

Before:

During:

And completed:

Any other pictures of specific areas I will try and make happen if you'd like. Ask any questions as well, I'll be around to answer them for you. Thanks so much for looking, and thanks for the great ideas and the knowledge I've gained from using this fine website.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The finished kitchen, lots of pics inside, beer too!

you're kitchen is gorgeous. the stone is fantastic. great job. enjoy it.

o

Wow, a stunning transformation, I love it, especially the gorgeous countertops. The Pewabic tiles are cute! Which paint colour did you use on the walls? It looks a very attractive greenish grey on my monitor. Love it all, Petra

o

I've got a few more photos now that the sun is out of the way...

o

It's beautiful. What a transformation! I especially love the stair tiles and the coffered ceiling. Congrats.

o

How beautiful! You can really tell there was great thought put into your kitchen. It's just lovely! I'd love to know what the blue shade is you have on your ceiling!!

o

Beautiful spot for cooking and hanging out. Love the ceiling and I really like the double windows with the wood table on one side and the phone desk(?) on the other. (The last pic)
Like the design. Nice job.

o

That is worth a Wowzer! What a great job. It's gorgeous!

o

I agree with a wowza - looks great!

o

Too many individual things that I love to list. I do think that my heart may have skipped at beat over the Super White. Beautiful space and major congratulations to you!

o

Beautifully put together. Your granite selection in particular is stunning!!!

Just a side question, what size is your sink?

o

Wow.....beautiful!!!! nice job! The valance is cleaver.

o

Thanks for the compliments so far!

Petra- the walls are a color by BM called "Rosemary Sprig"

Babs- the ceiling is a color by BM called "Palladian Blue"

Aloha- the sink is about 23 inches wide by 17 long, the face is about 25 inches.

Hope that is helpful, if anyone else has questions fire away and I'll try and help you out.

o

I like the beer tap area and the use of the matching cabinet doors over the laundry area in particular.

o

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!!! So many special features that make this kitchen beautiful! Love the coffered ceiling, the super white quartzite, the cabinet details. Well Done!

o

What a transformation! It really looks good. I also love your color choices. I love, love, love your beer area(and I dont even drink! IT is sooo cute). What a complete difference from the before.

Now sit back, and relax, and enjoy the rest of the summer. You deserve it!

o

Beautiful kitchen! The amount of time and thought you put into it really shows. Enjoy!

o

Wow! I love the whole thing, but the radiator solution is particularly fabulous. We have an old radiator we're trying to figure out how to cover elegantly. You certainly achieved that!

o

Hurray! What a fun space!

I love it! So much visual interest and so well done. I love the stone you chose. It has all come together so passionately. Enjoy!

o

Incredible! Wow, there are so many things that really caught me eye:

The counters and beer tap, of course!
The W&D in the kitchen but well hidden
The faucets
The colored tiles under your stairs

o

YOWZER!!!!!

o

Jalsy- everywhere in my house has radiators so cabinets such as this one are great to make usable space. These little drawers were not in the original plan but make for great "junk" space which can be separated nicely into individual drawers.

We saved this door from the old kitchen and had glass put in it to allow light in from that window which was covered before by this door. Question though...what do you think I should put on the wall by the door here it has been driving me nuts to have this blank space.

Here is a picture of one of the drawers and a better photo of the rug.

o

Um...Wow. STUNNING. So many great details and choices that the wondrous counter stone doesn't steal the whole show, which is amazing. :-) Love the hidden laundry.

o

Ohhhh jgopp... of course I knew a U of M fan would have good taste. :o) I love so much... the fabulous colorful tiles on your stairs, and your corbels and ceiling, your cleverly hidden laundry nook, the beautiful glass doorknob... Such a pretty house! I just really like ceilings that look like yours, but I can't remember what they're called. I was just fretting about what to do about my 30" sink that needs to sit in the 36" sink base, and see that your farm sink is narrower than your sink base, and it looks just fine! Did they add anything to the front of your sink base cabinet to make it look good, or did it just come like that?

o

Super WOW! The Pendant lights caught MY EYE right away...LOVE them. Care to share where they are from? Fabulous. I have a friend who just got the same quartzite, but yours looks even more fabulous in the space. Thanks for sending more details on the pendants...

o

How wonderful for you ~absolutely delightful!!! You must pinch yourself! =)

o

What a beautiful kitchen. I looked at the photos before reading, and wondered if the tile was Pewabic. How nice. Enjoy your fabulous space, and go blue!

o

OMG - I adore this kitchen! I love your ...well, everything!
Those counters are awesome, and the herringbone feature is divine.
I love your radiator "covers". One small note, the tea will not age well situated over a heat source. I'd stick to non food items in the drawers...
Saving the door is a great idea and gotta love the hardware!

I love the ceiling and how the color shows off the coffers more....

Ok... I am gushing and appreciative but also thirsty. Where's my beer?

o

Thanks for the continued compliments :)

Adrienne2011: I'm not too sure what you're asking about the sink exactly but I would be willing to try and help if you could clarify a bit. I didn't know so many UM alum/fans were on this site!

Swisscook: those are called the "Benson Pendants" from restoration hardware, these are the 7 inch model, they go up from there in size. They are finished in satin.

dianalo: don't worry! That jar of tea is just full of old pennies ha ha. We don't keep food stuff in there. The big white cabinet is much more suited to that.

o

You had me at "beer"! But then I saw the pictures and I am in love! My grandmother had a swinging door into her kitchen, so seeing that made me smile :) Love the tile on the steps and the tin? fronts on the cabinets! You did an amazing job! Thanks for sharing...I will have to find something from your kitchen to include in mine! amazing!

o

GO BLUE!!!!

Love everything you did in your new kitchen.

Add me to the wowza club!

o

Fabulous! Love the Celtic touch in the tile.

o

A beer for everyone!

o

Oh I LOVE it!

o

Love it!! Really stunning kitchen, and my dh would absolutely swoon over the beer tap. Too cool! Enjoy!

o

Wow!! Gorgeous!!

o

I've just spent the last 1/2 hour going back and forth over your beautiful
photos. There are just so many special details, they can't all be seen in
one viewing!

Those glass doorknobs...and the most gorgeous valence I've ever seen
over a set of windows, are icing on a most delectable cake.

Enjoy!

o

Just noticed the Michigan beer glasses.
Go blue.

o

I was just drooling again and noticed the valance this time. That is seriously cool how you tied the 2 windows into one feature...

I also noticed your walls in the rooms beyond your kitchen. I bet I'd love your entire house from the glimpses I can see ;) So glad you lost the plaid!

o

Beautiful -- you must be so thrilled with the end result!

We're also doing Super White countertops and I've been searching for a subway tile that goes well with it. Can you please share the details for yours?

Next up for us is the floor color, so I'd love details on that as well!

Thanks for sharing!!!

o

Too many great things to list, but a few of my favs are the counters, valance, Pewabic tile, and Berta! The many hours you spent planning this definitely paid off big. Congratulations!

Go Blue! :)

o

Absolutely gorgeous. So much planning was clearly involved, and every choice seems to have worked out perfectly.

o

darbuka: ha ha I wish I could show you it in person! There is so much that doesn't come through on these pictures. Sometimes I look back and forget how different things were! Thanks for the compliments!

erinct: the subway tiles are the matte white finish from "American Olean" tiles. They are very nice and easy to clean. I couldn't be happier with the results. The floor is "Virginia hardwoods hickory", it is one of their hand-scraped editions, with a deep stain, I think they only offer 2 or 3 stains with that type of wood. I love it because it doesn't scratch or dent.

dianalo: the valance was probably the last thing to go in. I couldn't believe how much it tied together the space. Took me a few days to decide on that style and that fabric but I couldn't be happier. Thanks.

The black wood table is actually an antique which was had a new top about 3 inches too big so I had my contractor saw off the extra. That was always a worry about what would fit. I saw it at the store and knew it would be exactly what I wanted. Many people have asked me if that is the inspiration piece for the kitchen, but in reality it was nearly the last thing to go in!

o

Could you post the color of cabinet color you used, please? It looks like you used a very light glaze/distress on them, but from far away, the cabinets look white? I really like that! For the blank wall, I would find someting old/reclaimed that would tie in the dark accents you have in the room...

o

Thanks jgopp! I'll check out that tile. We have existing hardwood floors (red oak, so more grain) that we need to have restained so maybe I can just show our floor guy the color and he can try to match it!

One last questions, I think the answer is no, but do you have any seams in your Super White?!? If so, could you post a picture? Thanks!!

o

Too many things I love to list them all, but I'm especially taken with:

The tile on the steps
The floor
The cubbies next to your hood

Really, really beautiful!!!

SQ

o

I'm sure its just an oversight but you left out what kinds of beer you are pouring.

o

Clearly your vision is true to the house as well as to yourselves. Good work!

o

Whoa! Seriously amazing. Your kitchen is one of my new favorites.

o

Gorgeous! I particularly love the super white quartzite!

o

Beautiful ! I love the radiator covers...where did you get the cool metal inserts for the doors ? And the pony wall inbetween the 2 areas with the wall sconces and the gorgeous wall color...well it is all great.

You asked about the wall area that is blank. If it were mine I would do a pretty place to hang keys and also combine it with a chalk board for notes to everyone that is coming and going. If you get some vintage hooks and maybe use and old window frame it would look very vintage. Just an idea. c

o

Capegirl: I don't know what the exact color is, I had the cabinets custom made and basically the sample he brought me was exactly what I wanted so I didn't bother to ask what color it is. Next time I talk to him I'll ask. The distressing was definitely important but I've seen it so overdone sometimes and it just goes too far. This style warms up the cabinets but still makes them look very clean.

erinct: nope, no seams in any of the counters. Bought two big ol slabs for this project and one when to the island alone.

mike: one side is always a molson or labatt, the other is either home made stuff or a microbrew. This month I have Dragonmeade on the left, molson on the right.

Trailrunner: I'm not too sure where that tin came from as the cabinet maker just brought me some basic samples and I decided on that one. I will ask though.

o

I have to hide this posting from my husband. We have had our counter tops and cabinets in for 2 weeks. I am NOT letting him see that beer tap!
For that wall, especially if it is near one of your main entries/exits, you could do a coat rack. For my house with younger kids, it would be a giant chalkboard, but that wouldn't add much to your beautiful space :)

o

So many wonderful details, so many well-thought out choices. I love how the items atop your hood really add interest and warm it up. And the counters are a work unto themselves! Adoring your crystal doorknobs... we did those in our upstairs, and seeing yours, I wish we'd taken the plunge and done them throughout. So much charm! Congratulations on an amazing and successful undertaking !

o

• Posted by efs (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 17:34

great kitchen. I have a questions about your dishwasher: did you need to elevate the counter to accommodate the tall dishdrawer?

o

I love everything about the kitchen, especially the custom kitchen cabinets that are the perfect white, those gorgeous counters with no seams, the paint color, the moulding, the appliances, the backsplash over the stove and the backsplash everywhere else, those gorgeous Hickory floors, the hardware, the door knobs, the way you hid the washer and dryer behind those doors, the chairs and that Beer Tap! Just amazing! Thanks for sharing.

o

I adore your stone, beautiful valances, very tasteful. Job well done!

o

efs: I did not have to change anything, the tall dishdrawer is the upper, the lower drawer is a bit shorter. I use the bottom one for glasses and small plates mostly. It is the same standard size as a regular dw.

Thanks for the continued compliments :)

o

Oh. My. Stars.

That is absolutely SPECTACULAR! I am swooning over your Super White. How you made your radiator "covers" such an amazing feature is pure genius! I love everything about this space!

Congratulations--it is perfection!

o

Fantastic job, love the white cabinets with that floor and ceiling!

I have a question. You said those are the benson pendants but the ones on RH website look different. They have more details on the edges and they look taller I guess. Did you know they were going to look different? Idk about you but I'd be a little upset they don't look exactly as they are shown on the website.

o

The pendants do look a little different in height and features compared to the one on the website. I think it is because those are probably the 14 inch ones which demand more detail. At first I was a little upset but I've learned to like them just as they are anyway. Luckily I didn't pay full price because I bought them during the big lighting event, I think I got 25% off so that made up for it.

o

Incredible! I love everything about it.

o

Jgopp, did you ever figure out what the cabinet paint color is? I'm interested as well.

o

Hard to believe that I failed to weigh in earlier and tell you how much I love your kitchen! But, that happens sometimes when I first look at an especially stunning reveal. I become tongue-tied (well, keystroke paralyzed, really)in the search for something different and witty to say. When that happens, I promise myself I'll come back later (and sometimes forget!) :-( In your case, though, I'm back and have found that everyone has said the magic words for me already! LOL! But, seriously, jgopp, this is one really great kitchen. Job well done!!! BTW, I think the most clever-gawjus combo you've got there are those base cabs with grille doors to hide those radiators!

o

I have not talked with my cabinet builder yet but I will post the color as soon as I can figure it out.

Martha: thanks for the compliments :)

o

Absolutely gorgeous!! Great job!

o

Still hoping to get your cabinet paint color...

o

I spoke to my builder and he said it's a custom color combination on the cabinets. So sorry I'm no help in that department!

o

I love your counters! I am wishing I had gone with the super white rather than the gioia but I can't go back now. Gulp.

o

BEAUTIFUL Job! Great attention to detail, looks fabulous! Enjoy every bit of it!

o

Ming: I'm sure your counters are great as well! The two aren't that far off, plus sometimes you just gotta live and love the decisions you made.

I have a question...not sure if you guys will read all the way down here but does anyone know how to unhook the sub zero water filter? It says it needs to be replaced and the filter says "push" then you're supposed to pull but it's not moving at all, even with putting a lot of effort into it. Tips?

o

I hate to ask because I'm not sure if you can get a solid answer but can you get the mixes? I love the cabinet color and the finish it would be really appreciated. I'm deciding on my cabinets now and really really would love to know. Thanks.

o

Well I finally found something for the spot by the door. My housekeeper drew this especially for the space. It's a shame she can't make money drawing with skills like this...

o

Brava, brava! Thanks for sharing!

o

holy cow...your housekeeper needs to do a handful and go to a craft show or local fair of some sort...those would sell in a heartbeat!

o

Lovely, an amazing transformation -- I love Oriental rugs in the kitchen, and your housekeeper's drawing is a wonderful gift to the space.
Lynn

o

I've tried to convince her to sell these dang things, she did one of my old dog and it was awesome. Thanks again for the compliments :)

o

Beautiful kitchen, jgopp! You must be so pleased! Maybe your housekeeper could sell her work on Esty.

o

I love everything about your kitchen from those amazing counters, the color and style of your cabinets, your beautiful floors, the hardware used on the cabinets, the paint color, the appliances, the backsplash, the fixtures, the recessed lighting (BY THE WAY, I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THE SIZE OF THE DOMES AND WHAT TYPE OF LIGHT BULB USED AND WHITE SPECTRUM USED SINCE I WILL BE DOING RECESSED LIGHTING NEXT),the radiator covers, etc. You did a beautiful job creating such a gorgeous kitchen!

o

lynn: I'm not sure exactly what you're asking with that question. Not familiar with the terms you're using, perhaps you could clarify. Thanks for the continued compliments.

o

Your housekeeper is AMAZING!

o

What a clean, bright and absolutely beautiful kitchen. Quite the transformation. Like the above poster said, your housekeeper is amazing!

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Pantry Organizer

o

Thanks! So I just got my new drawing back from the framer and I think it turned out awesome, what do you guys think?

o

GORGEOUS!!! Your kitchen is stunning. Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your drool-worthy island? Thanks!

o

Sure, the length is 125 inches and the widest it gets at the bow is 44.

o

jgopp - Since it has been a few months, can you please let me know if you are happy with your Berta? Do you find the oven size large enough...or do you still need the wall oven? Thanks!!!!

o

I too would like to compliment you on a job well done!

Jgopp - I'm trying to make the flooring decision and tried to Google "Virginia Hardwoods Hickory" as well as just "Virginia Hardwoods Flooring" but I can't find anything. Could I get more information? Do you have a link perhaps?

Thanks!

Jeri

o

Wow, the transformation is stunning! It is truly all in the details. Wonderful job!

o

Gardenamy: I love my range, it does everything exceptionally well. If I am making a big meal with family members for an event or something I use both ovens. I find the oven size to be just fine in the range, I haven't been in a situation where I stand back and say darn it doesn't fit. I use the wall oven for baking mostly, the gas range is much better for meats and casseroles. The range top is spectacular in all functions. The only downside to the thing is that when people are socializing in the kitchen people tend to lean up against the range and it almost always happens that someone will bump the oven ignite button. It doesn't turn the oven on but it freaks people out because it ticks for about 20 seconds.

Jeri: Agh, I wish I could help you. I am totally spacing on the name of the manufacturer. I will try and find out asap and let you know.

Nessie: Thanks for the compliment!

o

Jeri: This is the brand "virginia millworks" and here is a link to my floor sample. They have a bunch of different woods and stains as well you might look at too. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Millworks Hickory floor

o

jgopp - thank you for the information on your Berta. She is a beauty! I'm between the 30" and the 36" but the 30" oven looks quite small. Hoping to talk DH into the 36". :)

o

I would absolutely suggest the 36, the functionality of the 30 is probably too small for the majority of cooks especially if you like to entertain. I would have gone larger if I had the space, but I like the 36.

o

Thank you for the Berta information. Can I also ask if you are happy with the Berta wall oven? Would you recommend?

o

Overwhelmingly yes I would recommend that wall oven. For the price it cannot be beat. I looked at thermador and viking because those are the only two that also have knobs (I hate digital oven control), and this was literally a quarter of the price. Plus it's convection! I did a review I'll link you to on the bottom. The only downside of it is that it's not self cleaning so it takes a bit of extra effort. Let me know if you have any more questions! I'm always happy to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bertazzoni wall oven review

o

Jgopp - OK...sorry, another question. Looks like you have either a 27" or 30" cupboard with the 24" wall oven and micro and had your carpenter trip out for both micro and wall oven - correct? Is your micro 24" as well? Looks great...love coming back for a peak at your kitchen. My kitchen dates to before 1920...although not sure of date. You definately hit all the buttons on what I'm looking for. I even have the radiators in each room and crystal knobs too!

o

GRAND idea with the beer!
Gorgeous kitchen, love the counter-top.
Enjoy it!!!

o

amy: you are correct, I had the builder make me a cubbie for the microwave because the trim kit would have taken it out to 30 from 24 and not matched the oven. I also find that micro trim kits are kind of ugly and don't fit my style so I saved about 600 bucks not buying it as well. Don't be stealing my whole kitchen now! ;)

lauren: thank you, I do enjoy it everyday.

o

jgopp....If I could come in the middle of the night and pick it up and place it in my house I would be one HAPPY camper. Oh well...I'll settle for my old house and all the issues that come with it! :) Thanks again for the Berta info. I'm leaning toward the 36"...instead of the 30" with wall oven..but we will see.

o

Ha ha ha, yeah old houses are great though! Good luck on your remodel, and I'm telling you 36!

o

Love your kitchen! And I have NO heat in my kitchen, so I am totally showing your radiator cabinet to my contractor - whoever he may be at this point :) [We have a few bids coming in...]

Your housekeeper should start a page on ETSY.com --- she might not be a housekeeper for long.

o

Can I just do like amy and steal it please? I'm ending up picking a lot of the same things you like. Guess that's why they call it inspiration.

o

No heat in your kitchen Jeannie? Absolutely you should look into doing what I have done, I can't imagine having a kitchen without a heater.

o

I am a newbie here. Wow, your kitchen is stunning... What are the knobs? What is the finish and the size? Thank you!

I am in the middle of kitchen remodel and the cabinets are not even up and I already can't wait till everything is over...

o
Thank You

jgopp, thank you for posting your kitchen. Because of you I think I've found my paint color! As an OP you never know what a reader will take away; I'm taking away paint (and I love your main faucet too).

The large chip on my wall is much darker than yours appears on my monitor, but Rosemary Sprig is at the top of my short list right now.

o

j-yk: The knobs and pulls are from a company in New Jersey, they are very heavy and made in the USA. I cannot for the life of me remember the name though. The pulls are special to be because they are one of the only brands that actually still has "screw into cabinet face" pulls. Most others go through and are tightened on the back of the cabinet. Give it a much more authentic feel to me. They are finished in satin. The pulls range in size from the small ones being 3.75in and the big ones are 4in. The knobs are 1.25in.

editionk: It is fairly dark but it isn't oppressive to where it really tones the kitchen down overall. I really am happy with the color. Good luck.

o

Your kitchen is very special and lovely. The details give it character. I love the blue color on the ceiling, the countertops, the carpet and the sketch! Your housekeeper could definitely make money with her talent.

o

Wow.
I had asked if anyone had a kegerator because I'm considering it and am thrilled to see how great yours came out!

Could you tell me the fabric (?) you have on your valance? I love the pattern. I think it must be fabric, because if someone painted it....!!! Or wall paper, too, I guess.

Oh - and I'm from Mason. Went to Western, though. Sisters are Spartans thru and thru.

Thanks!
Christine

o

Wow! What an amazing kitchen! I love the tile work on the back of the steps. I was immediately reminded of The Adamson House in Malibu, CA -

http://www.adamsonhouse.org/Tour/Kitchen/kitchen.html

As an aside, for anyone who loves period architecture - especially Spanish Colonial Revival - the Adamson is a great little field trip if you're visiting the area or live here.

jgopp, your kitchen gives me the feel I get from visiting those historic-type pay-to-view houses with great kitchens. I love it! The radiator cabinet, the window trim, the glass door knobs . . . everything!

Here is a link that might be useful: Adamson House

o

CEFree: the valance is made of a cloth I got from a catalog. I had the builder make a plywood frame and then add foam and put the cloth over it. Super happy with the result.

Leia: thanks for the kind compliments :) I was actually featured on my local kitchen tour just a few months ago.

o

Are the colored tiles above the step from Pewabic?

And I lovelovelove the little framed Detroit buildings you've got - did you get those framed or find them already framed?

Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous.

o

I like those hanging lamps over the island that carry over the beer-tap motif. Do you remember who made them?

o

Single guy with an upholstered valance. You better have built-in beer.

Great kitchen, btw.

o

ultra: yes they are from pewabic. It seems like everyone just shoots right to the photos because I did put it in the description :P I bought the pictures pre-framed at a local gallery, they are hand painted. Thanks for the compliment!

lee: they are from restoration hardware, called the benson pendant. They are pretty popular, a lot of people have them I think. Those are the 7inch size. I decorated them for the holidays as you can see here.

o
RE: The finished kitchen, lots of pics inside, beer too!1

marcolo: hahaha! My hobby is interior design if it's not totally apparent, kind of unusual for guys but hey I'm not going to fight it. I retain my man card with the beer tap I assume. I do like the term "chick-bait kitchen" that someone else coined for me, luckily I know how to cook too!

o

The Palladian Blue (which I almost used for my DR) on the ceiling is a great touch. I keep begging people who install the OTK to at least consider a color on their ceiling, but no takers.

o

Yeah it is one of the most remarked on features in my kitchen. Really brings out the beams. From the get-go I knew I wanted a colored ceiling. White would have been way too boring, especially since my cabinets stop 5 inches from the ceiling.

o

Oops, I noticed after I posted that that you already specified what the lights were.

Like everyone else here, I find this kitchen to be an absolute stunner. Incredible attention to detail, loaded with unique touches that eschew trendiness for origininality, which means it will look great for years to come instead of quickly becoming dated.

I'm about to tackle two kitchen remodels (both in the same house) if things work as scheduled. Like yours, it's an older house with plaster-and-lath walls which I've never dealt with. Did you just replace it with drywall?

I too am wresting with the cooktop-width question. Rather than a 36"w stove, I'm planning to use a Gaggenau 24"w, four-burner halogen cooktop and a matching 12"w grill, since I love grilled food. (Note to the ladies - if you want your man to help with the cooking, be sure there's a grill in the kitchen). For the secondary kitchen, I'll use a two-burner cooktop again with a matching grill. It's a smaller house, with about 4 bedrooms (depending on what you count) so I hope that will suffice. Each will have a 24" or 27" single oven similar to yours (but with a side-opening door), and at least the larger kitchen will have a 30"w built-in GE Advantium 240v speed oven/microwave, which doubles as a second oven. I'll likely use the same setup you did with the disparate widths of the oven and microwave. I'd love a clear-ice machine for mixed drinks and a combined washer/dryer built under the countertop (in addition to a basement laundry with separate W and D). I'll probably forgo a kegerator for a wine fridge, but at least you have wine nooks in your cabinets.

One thing I feel compelled to point out though - your laundry closet is not up to code. Dryers constantly exhaust air out of the room and when placed in enclosed closets, need to have a way for replacement air to get in. Every dryer installation guide I've seen mentions this and specifies the size and placement of louvers in the closet doors. For your closet doors, grilles like the ones in the radiator cabinets would work well, but solid doors won't fly if an inspector comes around. (For now, leave the doors open when running the dryer).

o

Lee: thanks for the compliments. Good luck with your project. Yeah I just had it replaced with drywall. And speaking to the laundry, I'm aware of the issue, the inspector told me as long as I leave the doors open during use everything will be fine. There is actually a small note on the inside of the doors from him.

o

"marcolo: hahaha! My hobby is interior design if it's not totally apparent, kind of unusual for guys but hey I'm not going to fight it. I retain my man card with the beer tap I assume. I do like the term "chick-bait kitchen" that someone else coined for me, luckily I know how to cook too!"

Oh my jgopp... I think I might be in love!! A man who designs and cooks!

o

I'm starting to think I should drastically upscale my upcoming kitchen revamp.... and learn to cook....

o

I am so taken with your kitchen that I ended up visiting www.historicproperties.com late last night.

One question I have that I didn't think to ask yesterday (and if you've answered it I missed it along the way) - how tall is the cabinet you had built over the radiator? We have a similar space (sans radiator) to fill below a window and although I would like to make it counter height (it's desk height now) it would involve changing the window size. I really love that cabinet and that (along with the beer tap) were the details of your kitchen I relayed to my husband last night. His eyes glazed over a little less than usual because of the b-e-e-r word.

o

Absolutely. Unbelievably. Awesome.

Excellent job!!!

o

mercy: ha ha ha, well I'm always looking :)

leia: that is the standard counter height of 36 inches. I'm glad you were able to get your husband a bit more involved! Maybe a beer tap is in your future.

melsey: thanks for the compliments

o

"mercy: ha ha ha, well I'm always looking :)"

Yeah, unfortunately my DH wouldn't take too kindly to me running off with Beer Tap Man... LOL!

o
Lee676 - RE: The finished kitchen, lots of pics inside, beer too!

Lee676, grilling food is great and as long as you know how to grill food, you will win a women's heart. I used to date a man who used to cook for me when I visited him in the summer time and he would grill the food as I helped him prepare the rest of the meal. This was years ago when I had the smallest kitchen in my tiny apartment with no room so we usually went out when he visited me for dinner. I wish I had a beautiful kitchen then or at least one with nice appliances like I have now. My GE Caf� over helped me bake a delicious turkey! I love my new gas range since I bought it in December 2009. I also love the grill attachment.

o

mercy: will I forever be known as beer tap man? Because I'll gladly take that title, it's like my alter-ego superhero name or something.

o
Rosemary Sprig is Lovely

jgopp - I went for it with Rosemary Sprig and I love it. Thanks for posting your kitchen.

I did pause just for a minute when we demo'd the original cabs and found the old 1970s avocado paint on the walls. I taped my paint chip on the avocado wall and laughed at how similar they were.

I love it 110%!

o

editionk: glad you like it!

o
RE: jgopp The finished kitchen, lots of pics inside, beer too!

gorgeous. Nice job!! Can i ask you what the dimensions are of your island? Thanks!!

o

Never mind. Just found the dimensions of your island in one of the posts. I do have a question, however, about the sink in your island. How do you like that? We will have to put our sink in the island and I just wonder about the functionality, especially cleanup?

o

WOW!! so many amazing details. I just took a quick glance and can't wait to spend more time pouring over all of your efforts. I love the stair risers! and all of it. well done!

o

jgopp: Are you in SE Michigan? If so, who was your stone supplier?

o

How are you liking the dishdrawers now that you've had them for a while? I've seen some pretty mixed reviews, some people saying it's hard to arrange the dishes and others having issues with performance and/or repairs. Any problems with yours?

o

annsch: I really like having the sink in the island as opposed to being on the outside. It is great for clean up, and it is nice to be able to place plates directly into the sink and DW from the eat-in space. I wouldn't have it any other way.

cat: I got the stone I believe from a place called "Universal Granite" if I can remember properly. It is on 13 and 75.

carnivore: for me having the drawers is great since I live alone and there are not a lot of dishes to do daily. I do notice it doesn't have as much capacity as my old one but I've learned to arrange things in certain ways over time to maximize the space. To date I have had zero problems with them and would absolutely recommend them to anyone.

o

I had to visit this kitchen to show a friend who is visiting. He also loves the ceiling, the radiator covers, the color of the walls, the style of the cabinets, the gorgeous counters, the lighting, the appliances, so many windows for natural light, the laundry room area, the hardware on the cabinets and just the overall beautiful look. I totally agree with him. Thanks again for sharing the details.

o

Lynn: glad to hear! Hopefully it will continue to inspire.

o

just wanted to let you know it continues to inspire Beer tap man even a whole year later : ))) gorgeous kitchen.

o

jgopp: congratulations on a beautiful job! WOW.
would you share the dimensions of your kitchen? I am wondering how wide it is and what the distance is bwtn your island, back wall and range. if you can, it would be super helpful to know the length of each wall.
What an inspiration !! TY so much for sharing!

o

It's phenomenally pretty! The beer tap though is just too much...hope my DH never finds that picture or we will be forced to tap a keg at our house. I am sure my recycling drawer or baking drawer or something else will be gone in favor of the beer tap if he saw that.

Love that trough sink for storing wine in during parties too!

o

Gorgeous, thanks for sharing? We are currently choosing countertops for our kitchen reno and your pictures are selling me on Superwhite!

Questions:
1. What edge did you use on your counters?
2. What is the height between your countertop and the bottom of your cabinets? I think 18 inches is standard, yours look a bit higher which is what we are thinking of doing in our new kitchen.
3. Do you know the company that made your cabinet knob hardware, where did you buy it?
Thanks much!

o

I've always been taught that its wrong to envy and covet but you're making it VERY hard!!! Lol. It is fantastically beautiful.

o

I couldn't get past the beer keg picture, was there more to see?

o

Wow! Great job!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here