Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azwildcats70

Up to my elbows... (pictures)

azwildcats70
13 years ago

... in PAINT! Woke up at 4am this morning, had coffee and got started on the kitchen at 5am. I took all the cabinet doors off, numbered them, removed all hardware. Went to Benjamin Moore to pick up my paint, primer and supplies.

DH was at Lowes when they opened at 7am. He's putting bead board on all vertical sides.

I started cleaning cabinets and sanding. DH came home with a new nail gun, compressor and compound miter saw... oh and the bead board.

23 doors with two coats primer on one side. 60% of the bead board up. Granite fabricator came by to do our template.

11 hours later, we are beat, watching the Tour de France, drinking PG Tips and eating McVities Digestives.

Comments (16)

• happy2b…gw
    13 years ago

You and your husband accomplished a lot today. What color did you choose at BM?

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

White Dove... but honestly, I can't tell the difference between that and Decorators white, which is what's on the wainscot in the hearth room. I just figured a bazillion people can't be wrong!

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Board

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I know first hand how hard all that painting is. Congrats on all your hard work! But... I have no clue what PG Tips and McVities Digestives are!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Wow!! I am impressed with your industriousness. And also, being an owl, with your morninglarkness. Wow!

Congrats! Can't wait to see it done.

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PG TIPS is English tea and McVities Digestives are English oat cookies with milk chocolate on top. DH is English, I'm from Arizona.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I can't wait until everything is done.

• dkbc
    13 years ago

you have been busy! Looks great!! I'm thinking of painting my cabinets so am going to try to find all your messages about painting so I can pick up some pointers!(and some courage!)
    Are you running a piece of trim between your upper cabinets and soffits? I'm trying to figure out how to soften the soffits(sp?) rather than taking them down...

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are indeed. DH is installing quarter round and then I will paint it all out.

Here are my paint tidbits:

-Paint the back of the cabinet doors first. If they get nicked, it's not as bad as the front.
    -Wear headphones - distractions make you mess up
    -Get organized. Have paper towels and small garbage can near your paint station.
    -I put a unfolded but flat garbage bag under my paint station. Paint sometimes leaks through drop cloths.
    -Paint barefoot. It's easier to feel when you step in paint.

Here's what I did for mine:
    Day 1
    1. Create cabinet door map with numbers so you remember which went where.
    2. Remove doors (hint: remove bottom hinge first to prevent cabinet from being top heavy and ripping out)
    3. Using masking tape, tear of a square, put it on the front of the cabinet door and number it in relation to your map.
    4. Remove all hardware, I'm reusing hinges so I put those in Ziplock bags for spray painting later with Rust-o-leum Matte Black paint
    5. Clean with Dawn dish washing liquid - takes grease out of the way
    6. Sand with medium grit paper - wipe with microfiber towel to remove dust
    7. Apply deglosser (Use a cotton rag, I used a torn t-shirt because a microfiber cloth was too absorbant. Wear gloves)
    6. Apply BM Fresh Start Primer (light coat) - I do them in numerical order so I can remember when ones have how many coats. :D
    a. I use a small sponge brush to get in the nooks and crannies and then go over it with a super fine mat roller and a light hand)
    b. I had 23 doors to prime, so by the time I was finished priming the last one, the first one was ready for a second coat.
    7. Sand w/ fine grit paper - wipe with microfiber towel to remove dust
    8. Prime
    Wait over night
    Day 2
    On the front
    1. Repeat steps 1-8 on the fronts
    Wait over night (in my case it will be next weekend)
    Day 3
    On the back
    1. Sand with fine grit paper - wipe with microfiber towel to remove dust
    2. Apply first coat of paint
    3. Sand with fine grit paper - wipe with microfiber towel to remove dust
    4. Apply second coat of paint
    Day 4
    On the front
    1. Repeat Day 3 Steps 1-4

Wait 72 hours before applying hardware and putting doors back on.

Hope this helps! It's time to pay back all that I have learned from this site.

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh yeah - use two saw horses with 2x4s stretched across to make painting sides easier. I had to put towels across the 2x4s because my cabinets kept sliding around.

• misplacedtxgal
    13 years ago

Can I ask what cooktop you have and what is in the middle - griddle, covered grill? It appears to be just what I'm looking for & cannot find!

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That, my friend, is a 1986 Thermador 36" 4-burner cooktop with telescoping downdraft and griddle in the middle. Very state of the art for back then. It came with the house.

We are replacing it with:

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

WOW that is a lot of progress already! I cannot wait to see your finished product. THANK YOU for the step by step instructiosn to paint your cabinets. We are hoping to take that task on in the near future. Not a fan of our honey oak cabinets either.
    Can't wait for more pics!
    - Jen

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Congrats on being so organized and working hard and smart.

That is one beautiful kitchen you are starting with. It's huge, bright, airy and seems delightful to work in. Good luck.

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jen. GW made it all a lot easier. So much information here.

Check out the pics in my design board. Anything you want to know about, I will be happy to share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Board

• rjr220
    13 years ago

Phew! You have made me go pour a glass of Riesling!

Fabulous start! Can't wait to hear/see more!

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ha ha ha rjr, have a glass for me! We've been in bed over an hour and it's only 8:30 here. DH is snoring away. Granted, we are old farts anyway. We're beat. We woke up at 4am to start our Kitchen Redo. We had a good 11 hours of non-stop work.

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, we slept in! Woke up at 5:20am! Time to start again.

I originally was going to prime the fronts this morning, but I think I will paint the backs that way the backs will have a full week to cure before I flip them over and prime/paint the fronts.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022