Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

Deciding on cabinets to flank bay window

judydel
13 years ago

Hi

My main kitchen is 85% done (waiting on da man) and now I'm looking into buying cabinets to flank our bay window. I'll eventually want a built in window seat also.

What about some thing like this? Do you think I should paint the units to match our off white cabinets, or should I stain them to match our island/breakfast bar? Whatever I do, I'd like the bead board baking to be a contrasting color. I want one to have drawers on the bottom for our tablecloths, and I want one to have a cabinet bottom to store our stereo equipment. I WONDER IF I CAN HAVE A PAIR MADE LIKE THIS THROUGH CABICO OR IF I HAVE TO FIND THEM MADE AS FURNITURE?

Thanks for your help ; )

This is what I'm thinking of, but with a simple leg

This is what we have going on

Comments (13)

• rod725020
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Judydel,
    I am not sure what colors would be best, but Conestoga Cabinets makes a similar hutch that you might want to check out. Scroll down to page 7.26 on the link below to see it. I think you can get this hutch customized to your needs and I know they have a lot of options for the feet.
    Rod

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Granite and Cabinetry - Tall Corner Hutch

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Have you ever seen The Workshop of David T Smith? They can build anything and have a variety of wood and finishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: David T Smith

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Allison. I just sent David T Smith a quote request. I'll let you know what happens.

Rod, I don't think Northern Granite and Cab can create the look I'm after, but thanks for the info : )

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Judy, I also love David Smith stuff - and I would go for the contrast.

It's looking FANTASTIC :-)

Eliz

• angieszen
    13 years ago

I am working with GC to design a garden window - this is the focal point of the kitchen. I wanted a bay style as opposed to the box style of many garden windows...but not sure we got it right.

Please post your photos of garden and/or bay windows.

Thanks so much!

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful, and I think Cabico is a great company.

But, I can't remember the last time I saw a rotary dial!! Too funny!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen, esp the sink area! Very pretty as a whole. It looks like somewhere where you will get good food and relaxed company.

I vote for the stained wood to go with the breakfast bar or the bb may end up looking like an orphan. Also, you can always paint the stained wood later on, but it is a pain to strip down to wood.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Nice!

Very much want to eavesdrop on any conversations dealing with bay windows and shelf units. Need all kinds of mentoring.

My two cents: You have not shown us your tabletop, but we can see the chairs, so a wood finish is what I'm assuming. Your 12 over 12 windows also suggest an early model, although they are squares, not rectangles. I suggest that the space have the logic of having paint for the "servant/worker" area and bare wood finish in the less utilitarian areas where the more privileged family members would sit and eat.

You don't tell us whether this is a house with historic background or historic pretensions or whether Am. historic corner cabinetry is just a quirk of yours. Have just come from a Mpls. area consignment shop which carries high-end antiques. They say that there is currently a swing away from "Americana" of all kinds and that prices on old pieces have plummeted. They also say that knowledgeable buyers are buying like crazy. They assume that the prices will rebound, "although nothing like what they were." Sounds like dot-com American antiques, eh?

Anyway, having felt that the pendulum has swung just about as far away from 18th and early 19th century as is possible, I predict that there is going to be a revival. You could be on the cusp.

I adore the corner unit you have cited (but then, I adore all American antiques from the "Early American" period before the Victorians dodadded it all up). I am excited to hear your plans for a custom piece on each side of the windows and for a potential window seat.

Don't be in a rush. Look hard for resources, spend what it takes. These pieces will be the making of the room and perhaps the whole house. Children and visitors would remember this place with tremendous fondness, if you can also cook and/or converse at the table.

I live in the Twin Cities, Minn. We have a historic house here in this community which was built in the early 1850s (one of the very few houses whites were allowed to build in that particular area, because the owner was a missionary). The builder had grown up in Connecticut in the 18teens. Although I think that it was no longer fashionable, he built a cupboard very much like this one in the corner of the house, in the parlor, as if it were the most sensible thing in the world to do so. It's painted now and may have been so from its beginning. I'm sure when he grew up as a carpenter apprentice he made plenty of them.

Period appropriateness includes wallpaper, a contrasting color of paint, or plain wood for the interior. Not sure about the beadboard; I think this is a later product. Most of the roundtop corner cupboards from this era that I have seen have a homemade quality but beadboard is a machine process. Prototypes of these cupboards were made in the 18th century.

If I'm reading you wrong and you really are thinking about early 20th century utilitarian "cottage" kitchens, I'd suggest that you look for a different kind of corner cupboard and dump the arch and the trim details. If you love beadboard, you can get away with a lot plainer, more angular cabinetry, even a non-angled cupboard each side of the window with a whole-wall-built-in feel and all the beadboard you want. This will be cheaper but also will have less stage presence. Paint it. Poison green or med. blue trim on enamel white. And find an old linoleum pattern to put under the table or one of those faux oriental blue and white and shrimp colored patterned carpets which appear regularly at antique auctions from the 1920s.

• jscout
    13 years ago

Forgive me for being a little late in this conversation. Have you considered not flanking your window with furniture? You're planning on putting window seating, so adding more cabinets seems to cramp the space a little. How about some plants instead? Sometimes we get carried away and keep adding things to fill in spaces without knowing when to stop until it's too late. Sometimes less is more. Just a thought.

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! I've been away from GW for a month or two and came back to such thoughtful responses. I'm sorry I didn't realize until now.

I did get quotes on having cabinets made and decided to wait until I can better afford this phase of our project. Jscout to answer your question regarding whether more cabinets are necessary . . . I really do need another cabinet to house our stereo components, which includes a turntable, and a place to put some albums & CD's. I also need drawers on the other side to store our linens (we use tablecloths and cloth napkins all the time). And I want open shelves above each cabinet to showcase my 150 year old painted china from Coalport. I adore this china but unfortunately we can't use it because the paint used to paint the brilliant colored flowers has lead in it. So I really want to at least display this set since it makes me so happy to look at it : ) I also recently inherited another set of china from my MIL that is a bluebird pattern, which I'd love to display also. I don't have any other china cabinets.

I've decided the cabinets should be flush against the back wall and not corner units. After those are built and in place we'll decide if we still want to go with a built in seat. Right now we have a petite, painted, depression era table centered in the bay window with plants.

Florantha my desire to have an open cabinet of the style I posted is simply because I like that design. I hadn't really given much thought to the era it would be from. I'm probably sounding like such an idiot but I tend to buy from different styles/eras . . . surrounding myself with what I'm attracted to instead of going for a specific historical period or decorating style. I guess I'm eclectic? Someone once told me they thought my kitchen looked like "scrubbed farmhouse". I like that. A repairman came into our house last week and asked me if ours was an old farmhouse or did we just build it to look that way. The architectural style is a colonial saltbox with a dormer in the back and an addition to the side. So it definitely doesn't look like a farmhouse from the outside. But when he came in that was the feeling he got. And I couldn't have been happier with that comment. My husband grows incredible gardens, including 150 raspberry bushes, 25+ fruit trees, strawberies, blueberries, chickens, etc. He keeps picking and picking and I keep cooking, baking and "putting up" his bounty. So I refer myself as the "farmer's wife" all the time.

I knew this sink would come in handy!

So far I've put up 45 quarts of tomatoes, 28 half pints of jam, some eggplant condite, lots of breaded/fried eggplant, 3 quarts of dehydrated fruit, frozen raspberries, dried spices, dehydrated green beans, and I froze several loaves of zucchini bread/muffins and peach muffins.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I love the idea of surrounding yourself with things that you love. I'm a haphazard eclectic girl and my kitchen will reflect that. It sounds like you and your husband have a beautiful life. Your "bounty" looks scrumptious!

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh and paintergirl the "rotary dial" phone is actually push button made to look like rotary dial. It's made by CrosbyRadio.

I remembered other reasons I'm considering the arch top cabinet . . . I think the arch top will look good with the round shape of the chandelier, the rounded bar stools and the oval table. Plus it will soften all the hard angles created by the shape of the room and windows . . . and besides, I like arched tops.