Choice of 2 China Cabinets-Which?

hmgbrd5
10 years ago

I need to decide if I'm going to buy one of two china cabinets! I will have:
White cabinets with a white granite counter
Brick flooring
Blue island with butcher block counter
I THINK I want bright copper pendants and cabinet hardware
I have a choice of two china cabinets. I don't want the kitchen to be too "country" and like a mix in styles.
Here's one choice:
French Provincial China Cabinet:

This post was edited by hmgbrd5 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 16:23

Comments (17)

• hmgbrd5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the second hutch:

• akl_vdb
    10 years ago

Love the second one!

• hmgbrd5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input! I worry that the second one is too rustic/country (I have a traditional home) and worry about the dusting of my china, which I have a lot of!
    Also, this piece will be on the end of the kitchen next to a table and two chairs. (Not in the working part of the kitchen).
    I like a look similar to:

This post was edited by hmgbrd5 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 17:20

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Those are 3 way different looks!
    It all depends on your cabinet style -- I don't think French provincial will look too right with shaker cabinets, for example. Can you post a picture of the space and selections? It sounds like it will be a fairly rustic look with the brick floors and butcher block. Yes, it depends on your cabinet style.

• fav.auntx2
    10 years ago

My preference is the 2nd one for sure. The first one is very froofy. I agree pics of the other things would help alot.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

The French Provincial is my favorite, but then I have always been a sucker for FP. My girlhood furniture was a beautiful fruitwood FP bedroom suite. I loved it! I can't imagine finding a prettier cabinet than that but you will definitely have a much more formal feel by using it.

I like #2 but it is too rustic unless you are looking for a country kitchen feel which you aren't. The open shelving would be a nightmare for keeping your china clean. I love china and have a lot of it too so a closed cabinet is definitely the way to go. I find that even with a closed cabinet china can tend to get dusty.

Good luck and I will be anxious to see how your plans develop.

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

Since neither one looks like your inspiration and is to be an unfitted piece, I suggest waiting for that perfect piece. I assume you are looking on Craigslist? These items show up fairly regularly. Without seeing your kitchen as well as the dining table and chairs, plus the room it will go in, it would be difficult to give good advice. Also, your inspiration looks like a built in piece.

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

Since neither one looks like your inspiration and is to be an unfitted piece, I suggest waiting for that perfect piece. I assume you are looking on Craigslist? These items show up fairly regularly. Without seeing your kitchen as well as the dining table and chairs, plus the room it will go in, it would be difficult to give good advice. Also, your inspiration looks like a built in piece.

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

IMHO The second for sure.

• hmgbrd5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your input. I put my kitchen plans up here a while back. I didn't get any bites, so I decided to stick with what I was going with. I didn't consider that the cabinets will matter. Now I see and agree with you.
    We haven't decided on cab fronts yet. We're meeting with our millwork guy this evening.
    The third pic was more for idea of how I like to arrange my china for artish display, not for the cabinet style. I have several blue/white patterns. It really is a sickness.
    Our craigslist is not good here-not used often enough. I do go to estate/garage sales often, though.
    Again, thanks so much for the input! It really gives me things to consider!

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

I also like the second one. I would put some nice baskets on the bottom shelf.

Sorry you didn't have luck with your post of kitchen plan. Can you link to it here and maybe it will revive and give you some feedback before you finalize.

Your choices so far sound fabulous! I think the brick floor lends itself to a country / rustic look but the other choices will keep it from being country bumkin.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

seek out a hutch look from a cabinet line[don't know what you mean by"millwork guy"]....say Shiloh or Kraftmaid....once you pick your doorstyle.... varythe look of this, but coordinate it. Neither of those is right-too much open space on one and too ornate on the other. You can achieve a hutch look with cabinets.Can't this wait till the kitchen is completed?....might be better. Tons of old china cabinets are all over in flea markets/anitque shope/resale centers.....even recycle and habitat stores. I think you'd do better with an updated look that gets the ratio of open to glass fronts to closed storage right for you..With "a lot" of china, I'd thnk hard about having it all on display...I think typically most of sets are behind cabinet but the vases/decorative bowls/platters are placed to see. My mom and aunts have at least 3 sets a piece-it is not "all" on display.

• hmgbrd5
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Very different choices, either of which could be great in the right space.

The French provincial is pretty and whispers, I'm rich, french, and snobby.
    The blue one is fun and would be right at home with Grannie and Ellie May ((a Beverly hillbillies reference for the young ones out there).

I think we need to see an inspiration photo of your kitchen and know your cabinet style before we can choose. It may be too early in the process to choose a large statement piece like these. Unless, of course, you want to base your kitchen around one that you love and must have.

Looking forward to your choices. Good luck!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I think Herb's idea of using cabinetry to have a hutch built is a great one. I have a darling little Victorian cabinet that DH bought me for our anniversary one year and I love it but I really would like to have a hutch built that is more reflective of my kitchen style. A built hutch would also give me the option to have spacious drawers under and glassed cabs above.

• hmgbrd5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! I think I'll wait on a decision until the cabinet design comes together more.

• SophieGrey
    10 years ago

Old and eye itching! Why don't you look at fusion of french and old kitchens?

Here is a link that might be useful: French provincial kitchens