Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
quartzite (white america/fantasy) durability

Posted by drbouba (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 16:16

I know there have been discussions about white quartzite here in the past. My main question is this:
our fabricator has told us that even though quartzites tend to be fairly resistant to stains and etching, the more white it is, the more it can show wear (stain, etc). The one we are most leaning towards in white america (although it is hard to find) which seems grayer than others. If this means that it will be more resilient then that will help make our decision. We took home a sample of untreated madre perles which could not be stained by anything we left on it, but a piece of "white arabesque" quartzite had a big mark from a slice of lime left overnight. We are looking for super sturdy, low maintenance kitchen countertops and so far like the white quartzites much more than any granites that we have found.
I'd love to hear anyone's experience especially with the white vs gray issue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: quartzite (white america/fantasy) durability

Get a sample of the slab you WANT and test the exact slab. That is the only way to know for sure if the slab in your kitchen is as durable as you need it to be. Also, did they have sealers on them or not? Most places put a sealant on them even if they are already stain resistant, etc.

o

I have not heard this about quartzite. I have white macabus quartzite and it has not stained or etched in the 7 months we have had it. If lime left a mark it would be an etch and not a stain but it could also be the stone was not sealed and the wet mark may disappear with time. Is it an etch mark ?

The best way to determine if the slab you like is durable enough is as bahacca mentioned - get a piece of the stone and test it but make sure they have sealed it for you first.

o

Is this quartz really called "white america"? That is strange name... very... umm.. non-inclusive!

o

Yes, but charlie, white america is a fantasy : )

o

hey muskokascp - guessing you're also living in ontario?
where did you get your quartzite? i'm looking for white macabus! thanks

o

muskokascp (surprisingly given her name here) lives in Nova Scotia. I have quartzite counters too, I'm in Ottawa. If you are in the GTA your best bet to find quartzite is at Ciot in Vaughan. I got mine at Ciot in Montreal a little over two years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here