Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Happy dance. Floor, BS and counter chosen!!

deedles
10 years ago

Have had kitchen design fatigue for awhile but realized that since we're tearing out on the 28th (yay) that I better get my brain back into it. So, for anyone that has been seeing my kitchen posts for the last year and a half. Or, is it two. Two, I think.... anyway.

Cork. Anyone need samples? Send a SASE. Seen Wicanders, Duodesigns, APC, IPO, Globus and a couple more. All lovely. None. quite. perfect. Did a final 'cork floor' internet image search. Found Jelinik out of Canada. Clearance section. We need 500 sq. ft. They have 504 sq ft of a nice looking cork. Sample arrived today. Kismet! It's beautiful and I bought that last 504 sq. ft! Fuzzy pic at the bottom. If anyone has it and hates it, don't tell me as it's on the way from Canada as I type.

Then, since it's so stinkin' hot and I have no central air, I decided to go look at counters ONE MORE TIME. Decision made for Formica solid surface Bleached Concrete (white with fine little almost non-existant random speckles) because I can have runnels (!) and white 2x4 subways with a darker grout (ala Sayde's gorgeous gumwood kitchen). I've been oogling all these beautiful Motawi type tiles and what not, but after reading Florantha's 'clowns' post again, I realize that for my kitchen, the green stove and copper sink and the prairie style stained glass in the doors have to be the main elements. I like the little subways. They're cute.

THAT feels better. I just wanted to post here because I know many will understand how good it feels to be 'content' at last with the main surface/finish choices. There is just too much out there, really.

Now I have to learn about LED can lights. ewww.

Comments (12)

• kaysd
    10 years ago

I like your cork! It feels so great to get decisions off the list.

In case it helps you with your LED can light selection, our designer recommended the Halo ML56 from Cooper. It has lots of options for color, lumen output, and 5 or 6" trims. We are going with the ML5609930 LED module (3000K, 90 CRI, high lumen output), the 5" trim with white ring and haze reflector (592H), and the H550RICAT housing.

From an article: "Cooper Lighting has introduced the Halo ML56 LED recessed downlighting system, offering various lumen packages, four colour temperatures and trim options for 5-in. and 6-in. recessed housings. Colour temperatures include 2700K, 3000K, 3500K and 4000K options with either an 80 CRI (minimum) or 90 CRI (minimum) option depending on the model selected. The ML56 series is dimmable down to 15% with standard dimmers or 5% with select dimmers."

Here is a link that might be useful: Halo

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

Congrats! It always feels good to cross some things off the list. I made myself a spreadsheet. I try not to look at it too often because it is overwhelming. There are so many decisions in this process. All exciting and I'm grateful to be able to make them but overwhelming nonetheless. It sounds like your project is coming together.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

your post made me smile, I WISH I could say the same, I am in the middle of composing a new post, begging for some help with all these decisions for me. Demo started and I still have no idea what direction to take the style of my project!
    So...Big congrats for making these decisions, I get it! The choices sound nice.

And, seriously, the thought of researching can lights & leds/ucls, etc, is totally "ew!". I might just throw it in the hands of my electrician, not sure I can possibly bring myself to get into all of that, there's got to be a line drawn at just how over educated and therefore overwhelmed I can get during this process!!

• rosie
    10 years ago

I'm happy for you, Deedles, and I do really like your cork. I'm looking forward to watching your choices become a kitchen.

Homebuyer, you have my sympathy. Right now I'm struggling just with the choice of an upholstery fabric. For one old chair. :)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I'm so glad you found a cork with some green in it! It will look amazing with your stove and copper sink :)

Looking forward to seeing your kitchen progress...with lots of pictures...even demo!

• Donaleen Kohn
    10 years ago

fun to read your post, Deedles.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Deedles- I found this link and thought of you. Maybe not same style, but the view from range and big window over sink made me think of you :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to kitchen

• plumberry
    10 years ago

deedles your message really uplifted me today. I'm glad you found your cork, counter and bs!

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Sounds like you're ready! I'm sure it feels great...can't wait to see the progress of your kitchen!

• localeater
    10 years ago

Deedles I am so happy for you and love the flooring you found it is truly perfect,

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lav: that is so close to my layout, how funny. I wouldn't mind her pantry and cookbook space, though.

Okay, I wrote a whole post earlier today answering everyone... I must have forgotten to hit the submit button... grrr.

No time now, off to work. Well, thanks and hi everyone !

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I know, isn't that a great pantry! I just got her e-book on pantry/kitchen storage and plan to look it over this weekend. You both have that great view from your range...I would love to see outside, while I cook :)