Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gavavemom_gw

backsplash: which one?

gavavemom
9 years ago

Attached a picture here. Love crackle tile. Pictured from left to right after Sonoma Twine crackle , a taupe glossy subway and Sonoma Artisan Sumatra. On the bottom of the pic is color of cabinets. On the three, which would you choose and why?

Comments (64)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

it's hard to pick because colors look differently on monitors than in real life. On my monitor, the right one looks pink, the left one kind of lavender. So, I'd pick the middle one..

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think the Miravel accent is too traditional with speckled quartz. And then there's the artsy stained glass pendants. It'd be nice to tie them in a little more with the rest. I prefer the middle tile, but maybe you should go lighter with the field tile and use a color from the pendant as an accent, like the blue, which would work with the counter. Can we see a close-up of the pendant?

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic with lights on.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And with lights off.

• taggie
    9 years ago

Another vote for the middle one.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone think the island pendants just don't go? That's one thing we didn't change. Yes, it's artsy and mission style but the room next to the kitchen is the family room and it's country, so just figured it would be ok to keep.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

You could easily just get different glass shades for the pendants and see what you think. I think I would prefer one not as busy, but try another color and if you don't like them just return them.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The pendants look a little out of place with nothing else in the room, though the speckled quartz is a more relaxed look, so that helps bring the country in. I've gotten so used to seeing a certain white cabinet/stained island look (more modern), but if you're adding some of the country touches in accessories, they'll work out fine.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok good. If needed, we will change out the shade bit otherwise its fine. Sounds like the consensus is the middle tile. The one on the left I'd ok but when looking at it at night (pic attached) it looks a little pink to me. Now just have to figure out what accent will work. Sounds like a pencil liner is the simplest way to go although along with the Miraval field tile, I also like the Sonoma Groovin tile, which is yes a little more traditional but subtle. The other option would be to do glass strip tiles that incorporate some of the counter or even pendant colors.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Or you could use ceramic accessories in blue or blue gray that pulls those colors from the quartz. Why do you feel you need an accent tile? Usually people use them to break up a lot of field tile, which doesn't seem to be the case in your smaller kitchen. Once you add your hood and put out your accessories...

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I would keep searching. With the whites, I'd look for something creamier like the background of the counter. The middle one doesn't seem to blend well with your overall tone and woods. I also think it would be a bit dark and somber, depending what you are going for.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. So your saying a creamy white as opposed to a taupe? The back ground of the counter just doesn't scream creamy but ill try. Shades of tan just don't seem to work at all. I guess I was thinking of putting in an accent to create interest, as the counter itself is not a showstopper.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Except where the flash hits it, it looks like a warm white compared to the left and right tiles. I would note how the overall tone of the counter reads and it's background color, as well as the wood tones. I like your idea of bringing in brown accent tiles.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about stone (on left) or crackle subway on right with the mosaic pictured as an accent?

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Those colors blend nicely! Since your counter is speckled, I would go for the the ceramic. Can't see the effect of the crackle but I like the idea of breaking the field tile up with a liner and/or accent tiling. The added interest and texture would be good with the monochromatic coloring of your kitchen.

Good job!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I feel that the stone is rustic, so you'd be introducing another style with the traditional cabinets, casual contemporary countertop, and country lighting. I would do a ceramic or glass accent--glass in particular looks nice with quartz. The glass might also work to tie in the pendants. The stone subway is definitely too busy.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about the crackle with the stone mosaic? Still too rustic? What about an accent with glass and stone like attached? I also like Sonoma's Tantrum line, a glass speckled crackle tile, perhaps in 1x1 squares. Thoughts? For accents, horizontal sliver rows or small field tiles better?

{{!gwi}}

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The stone mosaic is rustic and a bit boring. Tantrum would add a little sparkle. I like the thin lines but only two rows, but I bet that'd be expensive. I like their 2 x 2, IIRC. I remember Peke posting photos in her last back splash thread this past spring. You could try googling her thread.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Google "Sea Pearl needs a backsplash ll".

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I agree that glass would be better with the quartz. You also asked about the pendants. I would look around for replacements. Can you show a pic of the dining area. What do you think of how they fit overall?

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here's a pic that May_flowers posted in Peke's thread with glass tiles & quartz. I like the glass.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here's the Tantrum. The glass, to me, looks more in style with your kitchen.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I love that back splash, that tone on tone and shiny with matte. I also like the larger subway tiles for fewer grout lines, and they look good stacked. Maybe I'll do something like that with my quartz when we get around to tiling.

Was thinking of you, Romy, when I brought up Peke. Gavavemom, Romy has a really good eye for backsplashes (and everything else), so listen to her. ;)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Like that one too. I thought of bringing the blue gray from the counter in with the accent.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snookums2-here is a pic of the kitchen including the dining area.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would either match the taupe or blue-gray specks in the quartz and use one tile, crackle if you want a little something extra.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just to clarify, match the speckles to the accent and go with a glass accent and then a 3x6 field tile? Crackle to add a little sparkle.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think there's enough interest without adding an accent. Maybe because the dining set is right there and your cabs don't go to the ceiling, so you have a display area too. You also have three lights. But if you want an accent, I'd try to find something that didn't force me to use white tile as field since there's enough white. I also wouldn't get fussy as it's a clean, cute kitchen. No need to glam it up.

You could go neutral with the taupe filed tile--I think your counter reads taupe. Or add a color with the gray-blue. I would even try some darker taupe or blue samples since the counter has darker specks and you don't have a large area to tile. You could go more gray too, but I think the amber pendants would have to go. Crackle tile will give you some depth and variation. Romy has Encore tile and described it as having a little sparkle. It's not available everywhere though, so you might have to order all your samples.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd skip the accent. Get additional color with your accessories, which you can change out as often as you want to.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did look at Encore but unfortunately it's out of my range at almost 1500 just for the tiles alone. The closest color that would look good was ecru and the store was ordering a sample of truffle because they disnt have it. It is a beautiful tile though. I love a simple crackle subway but have yet to find one that makes an impact on its own with this kitchen. The pendant lights would be easy enough to change out. When I look at the counters at night they almost read a green color but that may change once we get our UCL mounted on Monday. The tile store suggested I need to break up the solids in both the counters and cabinets with color. I tried a taupe similar to counter but it just seemed to close in color (see above middle tile).

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here's a post regarding handmade ceramic tiles with pricing. Lcskaisgir also found a beautiful crackle at a good price point through an online store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glazed Ceramic Tile

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 11:06

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I loved Lcskaisgir's tile so much I saved a photo. Not a good pic so search for her reveal thread.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is a great tile but unfortunately only available in grey. I think a tile with variation and crackle would be lovely. Now to just find the right one that wont break the bank!

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For sake of interest, here are two Encore tiles (top smoke, middle ecru) next to an Adex Hampton Sand flat tile.

• romy718
    9 years ago

This kitchen reminds me of your kitchen. I think you're on the right track with the solid taupe tile rather than a tile with a lot of variation in color. Maybe something slightly softer. Could you post a picture of the tile sitting vertically on the countertop with your white cabinet?
    I've posted a link to this kitchen with more pics that might be helpful. They did a 2"x8" tile to give an updated look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash idea

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romy718-Here is a pic of Adex sand tile in a vertical position with cabinets included.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

In your last two pics, your counter has gone yellow, which makes the Adex appear pink. Maybe a darker taupe will help with the problem of cream colors taking on pink or yellow undertones. I don't think we can be helpful on colors until your UCL are in though.

In romy's photo, notice how the white grout ties to the cabinets, so to me that adds pattern and interest to plain taupe tiles.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

We really can't see the subtle coloring of your exact materials. Between things like the light in your room, inaccurate photo distortions, varying monitor depictions, people out here can not see things accurately. We can only provide info to work with. Just so you understand that you need to rely on your own eye to see the types of things people are talking about.

As noted, the colors can look completely different when you change the lighting.

What type of bulbs are being used now? Things have that yellow-green CFL glow in the above picture. LED effects cleaner, whiter colors, and kind of washes them out (even the warm ones I've tried).

• teacats
    9 years ago

A vote for Encore Smoke -- or the simple crackle subway tile ....

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lighting is really throwing me off especially since it does not get much natural lighting most of the day. I'll revaluate the choices are the UCL (LED) are installed on Monday. The flood lights in the kitchen are not CFL or LED. I believe they are standard flood lights but need to double check.

• romy718
    9 years ago

You'll know when you find the right color - it's out there. The tile in the posted pic is Daltile Modern Dimensions in Urban Putty. I like the plain ceramic (crackle or not) with the white grout. It looks classic.
    Your plain crackle may be the one - it's hard to tell in online pics. You might want to collect some more samples in those colors so you can compare undertones.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An unrelated question. I am having an electrician come Monday to put in UCL. Should I have him change the outlets to an almond color or should I leave them as is?

• romy718
    9 years ago

You're most likely going to have to change them, but also very possible that an alternate color may be a better match. There are so many more options available (Lutron or Decora, I think) other than white and almond. I'd hate to pay for new outlets & covers and the electrician's installation time, only to have it all redone.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romy718-here is the urban putty against my backsplash

• romy718
    9 years ago

It looks pretty-more gray than taupe on my moniter but it looks nice with your counters. How do you like it?
    May_flowers is the undertones expert so hopefully she'll check in.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I see gray too and am also seeing a lot of yellow in the countertop. Which quartz is that? Maybe I can see a sample this week.

I think I'd match to the darker quartz pieces while making sure the color works with yellow. I see some yellow in the first pic too, which I keep referring back to as the truest representation. Maybe a darker backsplash will tie in the island too.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought it looked like a warm gray too. If you Google element quartz Silky Caramel, you will see it.

• PurpleEyes_GW
    9 years ago

Which picture is the most accurate one of how your quartz looks in your kitchen (i.e. one of your pictures or the picture on the Elemental Quartz website)? Does it have a lot of yellow undertones in your kitchen? Or gray? I ask bc I know how different everything looked in my kitchen versus outside and in showrooms (and even other parts of my house). Heck my backsplash tile is called Tea Green, but in my kitchen it looks gray in some light and beige in others. But never green.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The last picture I posted is probably the most representative. The photo on the website looks a lot lighter. I don't see yellow undertones. When I look at it, I see a taupy grey but from far away, it almost looks like there is a tad of green in it.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I'm going to attempt to attach a clipped post from oldbat2be about how to make a grouted sample tile board. Of course you'd have to get your hands on a few of the tiles you are considering. Once the tiles are verticle & grouted, they can look so different than one lonely tile propped up on your kitchen counter.
    It would be easy to do (easy for me to say) & might at least give you a direction to go in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Sample Board