Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Shaw farmhouse sink install

pps7
13 years ago

I just talked to my granite fabricater and he had a few questions about installing our 30" single bowl shaw sink. He also mentioned that our GC will need to build a frame for our sink. Does this sound right? Can you please post pics of your shaw farmhouse sink? Here is the picture of the cabinet the sink is going into. It's a 33" cabinet that's bumped out. I will try to post a better picture later today.

Comments (8)

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Your GC has to make a frame to support the sink and bring it level w/the top of the cabinet. It needs to be in place when the granite co. comes to template.
    Unlike SS sinks which are attached to the granite and is the granite fabricator's responsibility, the farmsink sits in the cabinet and the granite is fabricated to lay on top of, or just around the top of the sink.

• pps7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! They just built this frame today. It looks right. But they had already done the template last week. The granite fabricater has the sink in his possession. Do you think that's okay?

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

The short answer is yes. You should be fine, keep us posted!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

That platform looks awfully close to the top of the cabinet for an apron sink to fit. They are like 10" deep outside. So the platform would be that far down from the top edge of the cabinet box. In the pic, it does not look like 10"
    It appears that they just made the platform the same level as the cabinet cutout; the fact is that the cutout is cut by the installer to match the size and shape of the sink.
    Generally, it's best practise to mount the sink on rails at both ends rather than a flat solid platform. The platform now must be cut to admit the flange, disposal, etc, and cutting a sheet of oriented strand board only weakens it.
    It's not best practice, more like a "practice run".
    Casey

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

That's correct, but it can be done the way she has it. Without knowing the exact sink/dimensions, undermount or flush or sitting above the counter, whatever. But, I have to trust that the GC and granite guy have this under control and I hate to be an alarmist after-the-fact.
    It's never good to have full contact between ceramic and wood -- there's no breathing room. If it's already in place and can't be changed, you can add those little nylon cabinet "buttons" to simply create air space.

• pps7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you sombriel- you are absolutely right. The shelf is too high. I went and measured tonight. The cabinet will need to be cut and the platform lowered a good 3-4 inches. The platform is supported by rails. I'd love to see pics of the sink supported by rails as you mentioned so that I can show my GC.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I have a Porcher London, not a Shaw's, but same idea going on with the cabinet customization and install. I took pics when it was being done because I know questions about farm sink stalls are often posted here. Below I linked my pics. Let me know if you have any questions. I do believe silicone was put down underneath the sinks.

Here is a link that might be useful: farm sink cabs install

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Here's a tutorial and lots of other photos of mounting styles -- best to show a pic of what you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farm sink install photos

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz