Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowang_gw

What cabinet features to get when building a new house?

snowang
13 years ago

I have never owned a kitchen with these bells and whistles and have only seen or wished for a few of these specifically. Could you guys offer some advice on what's worth getting with the builder and what I can easily install later at a much cheaper price? Obviously there are personal preferences but any comment would be helpful!

Beaded Island Panel (not even sure what this means) - $248

Cutlery divider - $68

Door mounted spice rack - $117

Drawer full extension w/ soft close drawer - $73/each

Glass door clear - $302

Glass door seeded - $536

Knife block insert - $138

Open shelf base cabinet (I guess this is for cook books, etc.?)- $296

Plate rack - $484

Pot and pan cabinet 30" - $390

Roll out shelf - $103

Spice drawer insert - $104

Spice rack - $315

Tight mesh pantry shelving - $88

Tilt tray - $120

Trash can pullout 2 bin - $409

I have read about rev-a-shelf and been scratching my head as to how they can be installed after the cabinets are put in. I don't really care if the final configuration looks "high class". As long as it's functional, I can easily buy things from Ikea or BBB to serve the same purpose.

Comments (7)

• granite-girl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Remember some things if not used will have to be replaced by other items. So is this price the upgrade difference or the actual cost of the item. Cuz if you don't use the Beaded Island panel - (which is a decorative panel on the back of the island cabinets to cover the unfinished backs) - you will have to have some kind of panel. A plain wood panel would be cheaper- of course.
    Also the open shelf base cabinet will probably be replaced with a standard cabinet- which may cost more due to adding a door ??????
    Some of these things are aesthetic, not functional so that's up to you if you want those items, like the glass doors clear or seeded. You need to decide what you need, what you really need & what you would like to have or want.

There's a recent thread on here about tilt-outs you might eant to read.
    How many spice things do you need ?
    Trash can pull-out- nice to have
    full drawer extensions- nice to have, but pick & choose a few drawers to save $$
    pot & pan cbt.- nice to have
    roll-out shelf- would rather have deep drawers

The rest you could probably do cheaper if you really needed them....

Good Luck with your project

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Beaded Island Panel (not even sure what this means) - $248
    Aesthetic... Side or back? I have a plain panel (for budget reasons) on the back of my peninsula. I now see that since there are stools (or people) there all the time, you really cannot see much of the panel. So, I will not be adding decorative doors later as I had originally planned.

Cutlery divider - $68
    Cheaper at BB&B or elsewhere. However, if you want it to fit "exactly", have your cabinetmaker do it. This is the one insert I bought from our cabinetmaker for that reason...and it fits exactly! You can get the "cut to fit" or make your own for less, so it's up to you. (There's a thread right now about how difficult some trimmable/cut-to-fit inserts are to actually trim properly.)

Door mounted spice rack - $117
    Cheaper to buy elsewhere. You could also use a drawer or triple-height shelf in an upper cabinet (triple height is an insert w/3 shelves...each one higher than the one in front of it.)
    If you go the door-mounted route, remember the shelves will need to be cut back to fit the spice rack...or else be sure it fits b/w shelves and don't store anything on the shelves that would get in the way of the rack when the cabinet door is closed.
    Have you thought of a 9" or so spice pullout instead?

Drawer full extension w/ soft close drawer - $73/each
    Full-extension - definitely worth it and what I consider a "must have"
    Soft-close - a "nice to have" but not a must.
    What's the cost difference b/w full-extension & full-extension w/soft-close?
    Neither of these can usually be done later
    If you end up with any roll-out tray shelf trays (ROTS), then only get full-extension, not soft-close as soft-close means you have to wait for the closing delay b/f closing the doors.

Glass door clear - $302
    Glass door seeded - $536
    Much cheaper elsewhere for both. My KD was upfront with me and told me NOT to get my glass doors & glass shelves from her b/c she was too expensive. She recommended we go to a glass "store" (she was so very right!)
    Don't forget glass shelves

Knife block insert - $138
    Cheaper elsewhere (check Amazon)

Open shelf base cabinet (I guess this is for cook books, etc.?)- $296
    I would not do unless it's outside the kitchen proper...dust & dirt can easily collect in base cabinets.

Plate rack - $484
    Aesthetic...but unless it's installed where there are no cabinets, I don't think it can be installed at a later date.

Pot and pan cabinet 30" - $390
    Drawers! Definitely worth it!

Roll out shelf - $103
    I repeat, drawers! Definitely worth it :-)
    Thread: Drawers or doors with pull outs?

Spice drawer insert - $104
    Spice rack - $315
    These 2 AND a spice rack in the door? How many spices do you have?
    See this thread: How do you store a LARGE collection of spices?

Tight mesh pantry shelving - $88
    I wouldn't use this at all...I had that in my old kitchen and I hated it! Instead, use a melamine coated solid shelf...easier to clean up, no problems w/spills from the spill to the floor, etc.
    My KD told me to put in my own shelves as, again, the Contractor overcharges for them. So, our contractor built the pantry and we finished it (Sharb-inspired Pantry Done!)
    See this pantry thread: Pantry photos/ pics of pantries

Tilt tray - $120
    Don't have one, didn't want one (and still don't). One disadvantage is that they push the sink back farther to make room...so your sink is set farther back and it can be an issue with back pain (especially if you're tall). However, others here have them and like them. So, it's personal preference.
    I think these can be retrofitted later...but only if you leave enough space in front of the sink for one.

Trash can pullout 2 bin - $409
    Definitely worth it.
    You can retrofit it, but be sure to order the cabinet w/o the door attached (but you do need the door!). Later, you'll attach the pullout you purchase to the door so it's a pullout.
    It's probably cheaper to do it yourself, but this is one place that I opted to let the cabinetmaker do to ensure the drawer/pullout glides were installed properly.

• daveinorlado
    13 years ago

installing a tilt out sink after wards is possible but you will swear you will never do it again if you try it.

Glass for the the cabinet doors is cheaper bought from a local glass company. The door being made to have glass go inside it is another matter. If you do not like the grills that go vertical and horizontaly on the glass you can have the glass compnay cut the door to allow the glass to go in. If you want the grills order the door from the cabinet maker with them made.

unless the trash can is made of gold do not pay that price. You did not specify the width of the unit a B24 is pretty big normally with 4 bins that is pricey but a b18 double bin or b15 single bin runs you about $85 at home depot. And it is no big deal if the door comes with the hinges all ready installed. You can at anytime install the unit later and attach it to the door so you pull the door away from the cabinet to slid the trash cans out.

If you have 2 door on a b24 and do the trash can later that will not let you pull the doors out they will have to stay on hinges

for the record cabinets with roll out trays are generally more expensive then cabinets with drawers

• snowang
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone, especially buehl for the very, very useful comments! I do have quite a few questions after reading.

Several of you talked about getting glass cut for cabinet doors later. But would I have to ask the builder to make cabinet doors that will eventually hold glass? I don't think they will do that for me. If the doors come with a full panel without a cutout for the glass piece, can the glass company simply cut the door and fit glass in? I can't imagine how that's gonna work since I think the design for glass doors is different from regular doors. I don't particularly care for grills, esp. if I am going to get glass with some type of design.

Below is a link to the preliminary drawings of my kitchen. I will have a 30 inch slide in stove with double oven and a Zephyr Typhoon hood. The corner beside the fridge is a walk-in pantry (they didn't draw it out). Planning to put glass doors in the upper corner cabinet, and above the desk. Does this design look reasonable enough? Anything to improve without spending a lot more? I'm wondering if it's normal to have gaps between the left and right cabinets adjacent to the sink. Kinda looks weird to me and they are not of the same size?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Design

• snowang
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Try to post pics directly:

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I agree with Buehl on Door mounted spice rack. I got one and now I wished I didn't. I LOVE my 9" spice pullout by rev a shelf. I also use the bottom shelf where the door mounted space rack is located for large bottles of oils.

I highly recommend drawers and more drawers and the garbage pull out.

• snowang
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Adopting Buehl's golden advice, I will make most of the lower cabinets into deep drawers. I don't think I can afford to do full extension for all of them, at $73 a piece. Maybe only for the wider drawers?

My main sink base cabinet is 36" and a second sink base cabinet 24" single door. I'm not sure if either will allow me to retrofit the pullout trash bins mounted on the door, according to what daveinorlado said. Not sure where the builder will put the trash can pullout for $409, either. I'll ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for kitchen design