Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clerkshipwanted

countertop options for 12ft island -- (no seams if possible)

housebuilder14
9 years ago

So I am not sure if I am able to find a slab of soapstone or maybe carrara that is 12ft. I really wanted a white macabus quartzite but I can't find 12 feet slabs.

So I was thinking corian - but I don't fully understand the seam issue. Its not seamless just they make the seams invisible?

Also does anyone know how long a sheet of stainless is?

And I guess I can also do concrete.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

I can make island smaller but that really limits my counter space.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Corian and other solid surface seams are inconspicuous. Highly inconspicuous compared to many other countertop materials. Many stones can be cut on a CNC machine or Seam Phantom and top polished to be inconspicuous, but the more "movement" in the stone, the more difficult that becomes.

DuPont taught us at Corian school to never use the work "invisible" and I never do.

Corian sheets come 1/2" x 30" x145" so you would get "invisible" seams because they would be nonexistent.

I just got the new Domain Industries catalog in the mail and they have some fantastic new solid surfaces. You can view it online, I'm sure:

Here is a link that might be useful: Affinity

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 17:44

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Treb may know he can't really say "invisible" but in practicality that's what they are. My Corian tops were installed on Tues and I had to have my GC show me where the seam was after the installers put the material together--you could not find it if you looked everywhere for it. He was amazed as his clients typically specify quartz or granite which always have seams somewhere.

They put it together with basically this epoxy that is exact the same color then sand the hell out of it so it's totally "invisible."

So far, I am an *extremely* pleased customer.

I think you should check out Corian Rain Cloud if you like Carara, or Corian Medea or Corian Warm Soapstone if you like that look. I personally think Rain Cloud looks awesome and is a safe color choice for the island without the durability issues of Carrara.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Corian Rain Cloud[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/brownstone-collection-montague-contemporary-kitchen-dc-metro-phvw-vp~1202720)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

He was amazed as his clients typically specify quartz or granite which always have seams somewhere.

I have no seams on my quartz island countertop -- I designed the island specifically to accommodate a full slab length of Ceasarstone (and not an inch more - the slab was 120", the counter is 119")

• xtacie11
    9 years ago

Hey Chris did you have to use the pony wall in the island? Congrats on the finish!

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

SJ-- very nice! I suspect you may be the exception, not the rule, however. Width may limit you as well.

xtacie--thanks for the kind words! We have the final inspection tomorrow, so fingers crossed I'll be unpacking boxes back in the house by this weekend. And of course I will snap some photos for a GW reveal....

Indeed, I did have to go with the pony wall. Would not work any other way with the plumbing and electrical and local building codes. This totally screwed up the cover on the end of the island because the width of the island now exceeded that of the cover panel I was going to use. I ended up waterfalling the Corian on both ends of the island to solve it easily. I originally had a set of cabinets facing out into the LR on the back of the island, but realized during install the island would be far too big with these and the overhang so I deleted them and had to figure how to cover the pony wall. I considered a number of different options, including "backpainted glass" someone on this site turned me on to but in the end I decided to drywall it and paint it a color that matched the backsplash. It turned out very bold, but if I don't like it someday I can just paint it white or something. Drywalling it gave me the most options later. Anyway, enough rambling about me on housebuilder14's countertop thread... :)