Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurielou177

smart divide sink

laurielou177
12 years ago

Does anyone have a kohler smart divide sink, or other brands of kitchen sink with the divider between the bowls being lower than the full divider between most double bowl sinks? What do you like and not like about it? I really dislike using a single bowl sink for doing dishes, so want double, as I've had everywhere else I've lived prior to this house, but wonder about the smart divide option.

Comments (30)

• sskit
    12 years ago

We just ordered a blanco siligranite (truffle). Over the years we have had a single stainless and a double (70/30) porcelain cast iron (Kohler). For us this was the best of both. Able to wash large items because of the low divider yet it still has a seperate area to stack pots to dry. We are also hoping it will be less scratch prone than the other 2.

• sskit
    12 years ago

We just ordered a blanco siligranite (truffle). Over the years we have had a single stainless and a double (70/30) porcelain cast iron (Kohler). For us this was the best of both. Able to wash large items because of the low divider yet it still has a seperate area to stack pots to dry. We are also hoping it will be less scratch prone than the other 2.

• Fori
    12 years ago

My extended family stayed at a vacation rental with one. My mother liked it enough to put one in her remodel. She's an old school double-sinker too and she's quite pleased with it.

(I managed to avoid trying it out.)

• ginny20
    12 years ago

I don't have mine yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm getting an Elkay Aqua Divide, in stainless. It has 4 7/8" divide, 8" deep, 19 gauge. They also make one in 18 gauge. Mirabelle (carried by Ferguson) also makes a nice one, 9" deep, 16 gauge.

Few people mention these, but I did find some old threads where a couple people said they loved them. I know it will be good for me.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

I've ordered a Kohler iron tones smart divide. Seems like a great product. I'll report back when it is installed in about a month.

• houseful
    12 years ago

I order that kind accidentally, but now I really like it. My only problem is that I used to hang the washcloth over the middle. I can't do that now because it hangs into the bottom of the sink and constantly gets wet.

• tomuch2chus
    12 years ago

I'm also an double-bowl person. Had the tiled-in Kohler executive chef in the old kitchen (big deep bowl on left side, smaller & shallower one on the right) & really loved that sink. Mostly for looks, I got the smart divide (equal-sized "d" shaped) for the new kitchen. It's been functional now for almost a year & I'm finally used to it. I used to use the larger bowl for draining/drying hand-washed pots & pans & I do miss that bigger space, but every time I have a cookie sheet, or big pot with a handle to wash, I'm back in love. HTH

• Lesyeuxbleu
    12 years ago

I'm not sure how set you are in your choice, and I don't want to throw you off. I have also been looking for a sink. And my main requirement was to be able to soak pots/pans and baking sheets. I didn't think it existed, but I found one that will work: the Kohler Clarity sink (double bowl) on the Home Depot site. *please,anyone, correct me if I am wrong* but I think that one bowl will fit a baking sheet flat. the bigger bowl is a full 19inches by 15.375 And the other bowl isn's too small to fit a plate like most are. It is very rectangular (so I think a baking sheet will fit and the dimensions are "true"). If you wanted curvy it may not work for you. But I thought you may like to know about it.

Best of luck!

Right bowl
    Length 15.37inches by Width 19inches
    Left bowl
    Length 12.875 by width 16.25

• strictlybettyboop
    12 years ago

We had one of the Kohler smart divide sinks in our last house. DH wanted a two bowl & I wanted a single, so this was the best choice for us. I liked it as I still had that second bowl, but that lowered divider made it real easy to clean my big wok & steamer. Wouldn't hesitate to get one for our current kitchen once we remodel.

• sskit
    12 years ago

We ordered a Blanco with the lower smart divide. I assume the ridge at the bottom is still high enough to stack pots against to dry in the sink. Anyone have one and know if this is the case? Thanks!

• laurielou177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input. For those who already have one, is the low divide kind of low for doing a bunch of dishes? I can see how it's great for a big item, but the depth seems lowish for doing a sink full of dishes? I think I'd like it, but maybe would like a regular double as much or more. Would love to try one out, as it definitely has advantages.

And, yes, the Clarity by Kohler looks possible,as well as some of their other doubles.I wish they could line them all up at the store attached to plumbing and provide a pile of dirty dishes and pots to "test drive."

• sskit
    12 years ago

I found out today that the low divide is 3" on the Blanco Siligranite. This should work for our objective of being able to do large items and still having a section to stack pots for drying.

• Lesyeuxbleu
    12 years ago

I wish the manufacturers took better pics and gave better descriptions. You may have a rounded bowl with measurements taken in the middle but not where the curve is so the measurements are not "true" grr.

I found the home depot website's "compare" feature really helpful (surprise). you can look at all the sinks, checkmark the compare box next to the sink you like, and then the site will list up to 4 of your items all on one page with specific dimensions. you can get a *lot* more info about the product doing the compare than you will find just looking at the "specs". It may help to have all that info side by side to make your selections. Especially about depth.

I also found that Kohlers website has ?design? section/feature where it actually has a picture of a sink, faucet, and granite and you can change out the color of the granite, sink type, color of sink, faucet etc to get a real feel for what it looks like. I realize function is a whole other thing (more important thing IMO), but Its fun to know what it will look like when you are done.

• ginny20
    12 years ago

I was concerned about whether the water is deep enough, too, until I measured my current sink and noted how deep the water is when I do hand washing. My current double sink is shallow by today's standards - 7" on one side and only 5" deep on the other. I usually use the 5" side for hand washing, so I only get about 3-3.5" of water in there, anyway. That's how I knew the Elkay divide at 4 7/8" would work for me. A much lower divide, however, wouldn't be good for my situation.

A much higher divide wouldn't work for me, either, though. I wash my Springer Spaniel in this sink, with two legs in each bowl. She wouldn't be able to stand in a deep sink with a full divide. That's a good example of how no one solution fits everyone, because we each have different special requirements, some stranger than others.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Ticor makes one also . . . has anyone ordered that one? I want an equal double bowl sink but wonder about the low divide option. . .

• ginny20
    12 years ago

Don't have the Ticor, but many people here like Ticor sinks, and they are a good value. My guess is that it would be similar to my Elkay, which is now installed and which I love. How high is the divide? What gauge is the steel?

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

16 gauge steel. The divide is 4 1/2 inches and the bowl is 8" deep.

I have to have a double bowl - it is just how I have always done it - keep one side of the sink open with room to either soak things or as a holding area until the dishwasher is unloaded. I have also trained my household to rinse the plate/cup etc in the disposal side and put it in the other to hold until I can get it in the dishwasher.

The water level thing does concern me - although usually I am just running an inch or two, but not always. Maybe I should just get the standard double bowl . . .

• davidro1
    12 years ago

A divide 4 1/2 inches high is good.

• dmbnwb
    12 years ago

Does anyone have the Elkay ELGULB3322 'HARMONY' 33" Double Bowl Undermount E-Granite Kitchen Sink with 'Aqua Divide�' (ELGULB3322)? I am considering getting this one in Mocha. The divide is 4" high. Blanco also makes one, the divide is higher.

• ginny20
    12 years ago

athens- I bet that Ticor is less money than my Elkay ($400), and mine is only 19 gauge. I saw a Mirabelle that was 16 with the lower divide, but the one I got fit my space better and was $150 less. I think the Ticor sounds great. Davidro is right; 4.5" is a good divide. I really wanted a double bowl, too, and I'm happy with the lower divide. It does make it easier to wash skillets and baking pans, but I still get the separation. For me, it is the best of both worlds. And my dog fits better, too.

BTW- My granite guy liked my sink. He said he expects to see more of them going in as people learn about them.

• kawh707
    12 years ago

i posted about how much i LOVE the smart/low divide sink a bit ago (see link) and i love it even more now. another thing i found i really like relates to your question about the depth of water for dishes... you can fill it to the very tippy-top of the side you are using, as the overflow just goes to the 2nd side. so i think it ends up holding about as much water as our old sink, as i was always afraid of an overflow to the floor before. the other day, i was filling the sink with water and had to walk out for just a moment. i thought to myself, "i don't care if it overfills for a moment-- it's not a problem."
    also, not knocking dishes on the middle wall continues to make me happy each time i wash a vase. i just don't know why someone didn't come up with this idea sooner!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink is in and we are LOVING the low divide/ smart divide!

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Thanks all. I really like the zero radius corners so have also considered the Kohler vault. It has a similar divide but got a couple of terrible reviews on the Home Depot website (maybe from the same person) complaining about it rusting and pitting immediately. . . Does anyone have this one? It is more than the Ticor one but looks really cool ;)

• tom6534
    12 years ago

When I was looking for my sink I saw a stainless steel sink that was a low divide. It was made by Ticor. I think it was sold my Abovethedrain.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.abovethedrain.com

• Renee C
    last year

I just installed a smart divide and am not a fan. Water splashes into both sides of my sink. I prefer to have one side to dry dishes and one side to wash. Now both sides are always wet. It’s too late to replace.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

" It’s too late to replace."

It is not. Even if your sink is undermounted, it can be changed without lifting the countertops in several hours.

• Renee C
    last year

Joseph I can’t find a sink that exactly fits the space. I found one that’s close but it’s about 3/4” too short.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Remake the cutout to fit the new sink please. I make a living doing it.

• Renee C
    last year

Joseph do you make a new cutout in the quartzite in the kitchen

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Yes. Regularly.