Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Please help me with pulls, I'm overwhelmed

akl_vdb
9 years ago

I'm looking at pulls, they will put them in next week so we can use most of our cabs (the ones they aren't changing out. Sigh). Anyways, I'm burned out from decision making.

Can you help?

One pull or 2 on the drawers? They are 30", 33 " and 36"

I've read about the 1/3 rule? I wouldn't mind 2 pulls on each. Centred I understand (I just read one of the many wonderful threads on this, Amerock recommended 1/16th above centre :) ) Ha!

I think I'm heading out to Lee Valley tonight (I have an MRI tonight and can't eat for 4 hours before hand, so may as well shop instead of staring at the food in our house!) so I'm looking at these.

What do you think, what sizes and how many and what colour? I was thinking black, or pewtery. Our faucet is brushed nickel, as is our pantry door handle.

Thank you!

Oh, and what do I do with this drawer? Where do I put the handle based on the style of door? (It's tall and skinny, like a spice pull out, the pic is rotated, sorry!)
Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: highland ridge pulls

Comments (12)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other choice of pulls...

Here is a link that might be useful: mulholland pulls

• brightm
    9 years ago

I like the second ones.

I am, however, no help on how many, what size, or where.

I knew that that would be something I'd agonize over and I took the chicken way out and ordered something through the cabinet manufacturer. All bars. One size. (Also because it let me get up to the next discount level, so in a sense, they were free.) Mine will be all horizontal and all in the rails at the top of the lower cabinets and bottom of the upper cabinets. At least that's the plan at this point.

I've since figured out what Amerock product they are, so if I wanted another size, I can get it. I ordered one tiny pull (I guess it's technically a knob because it has one screw, even though it's a bar...it's a little T.) I got that for a 3" pull out.

No pics. Cabinets should start going in tomorrow.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Beautiful cabinets! I can't wait to see more!

Do you have samples of the pulls in different sizes? That's the only way I'd be able to decide - to see it in person.

When we did our kitchen last summer, I was convinced that I wanted all horizontal pulls, after seeing some wonderful examples here. I liked the way the pulls looked that way when I held them up to my old cabinets.

But when the new cabinets were in, putting the pulls horizontal just didn't look right to me. If I didn't have them in my hands, in my new kitchen, I would have guessed wrong.

That said - my drawer stacks are 18", 24", and 34". I have one pull per drawer on the two smaller sizes, and two pulls on the wider one. All pulls are the same size (I think 5" center to center), except for one 3" pull on a small drawer.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks cal_quail, Thanks, and hope your cabs go in no trouble! (I've had so many issues, sigh)

annkh- I'm going to go tonight and get some to see what they look like irl. Thanks for the measurements!

They're coming along... I think there's 4 or 5 door front that need replacing because of quality issues, as well as the microwave holder (bottom shelf is all crooked)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other side. It's so weird to have cabs. Our kitchen feels so cramped now! (after 7 months without!)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

7 months - holy crap!

I just saw your other thread. I sure hope you can get everything fixed to your satisfaction. As much as you are anxious for it to be over, don't settle for less than you can live with!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

annkh- Thanks for the encouragement! This is why I can't do something so simple as pick pulls. I did pay them today. Some new doors and microwave holder are on order. They will still need to be owed the insurance $ when this is all done, so at least I still have that to hold back if I'm not happy.

• smalloldhouse
    9 years ago

@aklvdb, I think the pulls decision is one that seems to have no right or wrong answers. I read a gazillion threads when I was trying to pick 2 months ago, and ultimately I just found one that I liked from Hickory Hardware and went for it (ordered them all without even a test run.) I used all cup pulls on the drawers and all bar pulls on the doors

I'm really happy with the ones I used, but I did run into one unexpected issue that I will share simply so that no one else has this stupid mistake occur. My contractor asked about placement. I told him, verbally, with the guy who was really running the show standing right there. I wanted 2 pulls on all drawers, except for the trash pullout and the drawer above which are only 18" wide. There I wanted only one pull. I left for awhile, came home, found only one pull on all the drawers. Not sure what happened but by then it was too late to do anything about it.

The function is fine, maybe even better, and no one else would notice or care. But it was a lesson learned for me: write everything down, with drawings if necessary.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks smalloldhouse. I think with all the issues we've had, I'm going to draw, explain, write it down and do an interpretive dance for them to understand.

My DH asked if this was a purchase where I needed to research it :) But of course, dear!

I'll make one trip to Lee valley, buy some samples, then make a decision, then return some and buy the rest! Easy peasy, right?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Mulholland was one of the pulls that I really liked. It has a nice classic look that will look wonderful for years.

• blackchamois
    9 years ago

I am partial to the Highland Ridge which is what I used in my kitchen (in polished nickel). I roughly stuck to the 1/3 rule and am very happy with how it turned out.

Regarding the narrow drawer, I would either install a pull vertically, or install a knob.

I mounted pulls (horizontally) on all my drawers, and knobs on all my doors - with the exception of my pantry door where I installed a pull vertically.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I prefer the Highland Ridge; I always seem to lean toward a smoother, more rounded style rather than angular.

For my 9" pullout I put the 5" handle centered on the top rail. Works well and is consistent with the rest of the lower (my whole kitchen is 5", centered horizontally on the top rail on the lowers). On the uppers, the 5" handles are placed vertically with the lower edge of the pull level with the upper edge of the bottom rail. I did use painter's tape to play around with placement; I also thought early on that I would have them all horizontal, but I found having them vertical was more comfortable to use.