Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesyeuxbleu

Calling Enduring i found LED lights that are dim-able

Lesyeuxbleu
12 years ago

This is for ENDURING and anyone interested. I could not figure out a way to post this to you specifically. So I hope more people find this interesting. =).

Enduring had commented about wanting led lights that were dim-able. I had recently gone to a showroom and they sent me home with a catalog of LED lighting by www.CreeLEDLighting.com The specific Item she told us about is the LR6-GU24 for new construction and retrofit "that installs easily in most standard six inch recessed IC or non-IC houseing." My husband did most of the talking/learning but I remember wanting it. We have new construction, but already had our recessed lights installed. I believe this light had a kit that literally clipped onto/into the existing fixture to house an LED light and it is (per catalog) dimmable to 20%. I don't think you even have to change LED lights for years and years. It would be perfect for someone with High ceilings or stairways or just plain hard to reach areas.

Comments (6)

• ginny20
    12 years ago

Cree also makes the dimmable CR6, which can be purchased in a slightly different form at Home Depot for about $50. The CR6 also can go in an ED(edison) can.The CR6 is self-trimming, so no trim ring is needed. There are great discussions of these over on lighting.

• ginny20
    12 years ago

I'm bumping this, in case my comment made Enduring miss a chance to see it.

• Tim
    12 years ago

I installed dimmable LED pucks which I sourced from LED Lights Canada. Tell Harvey Tim in Toronto sent you :)

I'm sure he'd ship out of Canada, and I bet it would be worth the time for the savings.

I'll post a pic in a bit, but I put in 19 LED lights on two drivers hooked to two magnetic LV dimmer switches and they work perfectly. Nice small pucks, and no heat.

One note - you CAN NOT run LV wire in-wall behind drywall etc. So if you need to span a distance where there are breaks like windows, ovens etc. you need to use standard NM wire (Romex) rated for in wall use.

I ran the two wires from my dimmer switches over to the cabinet above my stove. Then I ran all the wires from the different lighting runs through the walls into that cabinet as well. Put the two LED drivers in the cabinet, a few junction boxes inside that cabinet to join all the wires together and voila - dimmable LED's with proper in-wall wiring.

My total cost for the 19 LED pucks and 2 40w dimmable LED drivers was around $700 or so.

Best bet is to call Harvey, explain the layout, fax him drawings and he'll work up a kit.

To be clear - I do not work for LED Lights Canada, and I didn't get a discount on products to then go around flogging them on websites. Like you, I spent many many days looking and looking for good quality dimmable LED's and when I finally found LED Lights Canada, read their statements on UL rating etc. I knew I was talking to people who knew what they were doing. And for $25 or so a light, it's likely 1/3 the price you're looking at anywhere else.

www.ledlightscanada.com

• Tim
    12 years ago

Sorry - just re-read the original posts and realized you're talking about ceiling fixtures - I assumed you were talking about cabinet lighting.

Ah well, at least Google indexing will find my post and someone searching for dimmable LED cabinet lighting will benefit from the post.

• ae2ga
    12 years ago

TT - I'm really glad you misread; this information is perfect for me. Thanks :)

• enduring
    12 years ago

Hi, I just saw this post. Thanks for the information Lesyeuxbleu. I can't remember my exact old posting that might have lead to your post. A while back I had commented on several other postings about LED. Oh well, I just don't remember. But, I have since purchased and had an electrician install undercabinet dimmable LED lighting by Elemental LED. I love it. I did not put cans in my ceiling, instead I put a Hubbardton Forge incandescent fixture. My kitchen space is small. I used a non dimmable driver and got switches that had the dimmer in the switch. In the near future I will be trying to get a small flexable strip into a small shelving area as well as another light bar in a nook that I have. The wiring and switch are in place I just need to get the light strips. I read that the lights should last 20 years. Again thanks for considering my search for LED. I highly recommend them!