Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
36in cooktop with 36in vent?

Posted by jellyben (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 15:26

Hello all, finally posting after lurking for a while. Trying to do some upgrades to our new-to-me kitchen. Many, many questions but will start with the most pressing:

Currently have a 30in gas cooktop under a 36in under-cabinet hood. Seems like this would be the time to upgrade to a 36in cooktop, but because of the existing cabinets the hood would have to remain 36in. Is this a huge issue? I have to say 90% of the time I forget to turn the hood on anyway so I'm thinking I would be fine! Also, all appliances are white, but thinking I might as well do stainless with the intent to upgrade the others down the line. But would the mismatched cooktop/hood drive anyone here nuts? I fear that might be me! Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 36in cooktop with 36in vent?

Not a huge issue - although some people recommend have the hood be 6" wider than the cooktop, many of us have the hood the same size as the cooktop - particularly if you have flanking cabinets.

o

I have a 36" hood over a 36" range. I've never felt it to be an issue to not have a 42" hood.

o

Totally fine and the way most hood/cooktops are set up.

o

I did this too with a 24" deep hood and 900 ccm blower. If you have the extra 6" do consider it, but all in all it still works well. Wipe down cabinet sides/light rail and clean vent and area regularly.

o

We're doing a 36" glass hood over 30" cooktop - but the hood "floats" so it's really an accent piece (and light!) so bigger was better. Pics to follow when installed :)

o

Thanks so much! I am excited at the thought of a bigger cooktop so I think we will go ahead with the 36in!

o

One more here with a 36" over a 36"...works fine for all but the super seared steak in a cast iron skillet, but that's a smell I don't mind ;)

o

I have 36 induction with 36 hood.
It is ok but it would have been better with a 42
Mostly I feel a bit closed in while cooking

o

Ok this question will certainly show my loack of knowledge but here goes: the current hood that is mounted under the cabinet does not have any kind of duct going into the cabinet above. The cooktop and hood are on the wall between the kitchen and the family room. I never gave it much thought but I guess I thought it had to vent to the outside somehow? Now that I'm looking to buy a new one I want to understand what I should be buying!

o

Sound like you have a recirculating hood - - they don't vent to the outside and they're not very good. If at all possible you should run a vent straight up to the roof to vent the hood outside.

o

Or directly outside will also work

o

Thanks. Venting directly outside won't work because the cooktop is on an interior wall. Will have to look into venting through the attic. Oy, nothing is ever easy, is it?!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here