Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan20148

Basic kitchen remodel/reconfiguring question

Susan20148
11 years ago

Is it difficult/expensive when remodeling a kitchen to move the sink to where the stove is, and move the (electric) stove to where the sink is? This is a very small kitchen and in thinking about my dream layout I'd like to move things around. Is it MUCH more costly to do that, rather than just live with the sink and stove where they are? Cabinets and counters and flooring will be ripped out, at a minimum. While we're replacing all that I'd love to reconfigure if it won't break the budget.

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• numbersjunkie
    11 years ago

I think the answer is "It depends". What is beneath the kitchen? If it is unfinished basement, it probably won't be too difficult/costly. But if you are on a slab and have to move the drain pipe, it could blow your budget.

• Susan20148
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very good question... thank you! It is a full, daylight, walkout basement below the kitchen. So that is in my favor?

• aprilmack
    11 years ago

I moved a couple of things around and it didn't increase my budget tremendously. However, once the walls were opened there were cold air returns, pipes, etc. that somewhat changed some of my plans.

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

Though what's below is important, so is what's above. As April Love says, there are things typically behind walls especially in a kitchen.

We're getting fairly good at figuring out what's behind those wall from looking at what's above and below the walls. Nothing like having your heart set on something only to have to take a detour.

• numbersjunkie
    11 years ago

Yes, aloha2009 is correct. I forgot to mention that you need to consider how you will vent the stove in the new location, and also there are vent pipes needed for a sink that I think have to go up inside the wall behind the sink. So even if you don't plan to move any of the kitchen walls, you could run into a problem depending on what is inside the walls and what is on the floor above.

Also if the basement is finished, they will most likely have to do some demo/repair work there to run electric and plumbing.

• Susan20148
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are completely ripping out the basement down to the studs so that won't be a problem at all. Maybe at the same time we could just rip the entire kitchen out and start from scratch as well. Maybe that would be not much more costly? I was hoping to rip out some of the wall, anyway, to open the space up into the great room. Of course I realized that there could well be wiring or pipes in that wall that I want gone.

So maybe we just rip it all open and it will be easier to move pipes and wires that way, rather than having to try to keep some stuff in tact? I'd actually LOVE to rip it all out and just start over, but was fearing that would be more costly. But maybe not? Maybe it would be easier for a plumber and an electrician to move a few things when we're down to the studs?

• Susan20148
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OOPS... I forgot to say, in response to aloha's post, that this is a chalet and there is nothing above the kitchen, so I know there are no pipes leading up to an upstairs bathroom, for example. Another thing that sounds to be in my favor! Thank you!

• numbersjunkie
    11 years ago

Sounds like you should get a few estimates - it may not be that costly to get the layout you really want. Good Luck and keep us posted!