Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colickyboy

potfiller & shelf over range?

colickyboy
13 years ago

We have a potfiller somewhat centered our range and my DW loves the look of a SS shelf over the range. I think it's too busy to have both, but perhaps someone has done both and doesn't think it's too much?

Comments (10)

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

I think it would be too busy also. Alone, each is a nice focal point. But together, it's too much.

• ashebooks
    13 years ago

I personally feel a pot filler is a waste of money. You are still going to have to carry a full HOT pot over to the sink. A better solution (if layout allows is to have your cooktop near the sink with counter between, then just drag a filled pot back and for over the counter.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I too was torn, but the potfiller won out, I'm glad it did but it is a shame that I don't have a shelf to put dishes on to keep warm when they are ready. The red heat lamp does give a nice glow to the tile!

I think it is too busy to have both.

No regrets here on my potfiller, we use it daily, and I never carry full pots of hot water to the sink, we use a hand strainer to pull out pasta, always have, so it works for us.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Here's my "busy" pot filler and the shelf/backsplash (from GE).

Casey

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Oh, I love Casey's! I think the ss panel really is what makes it work with the potfiller.

Of course I was only thinking about a tiled backsplash, with a potfiller and a shelf, which my brain is still imagining as too busy.

I think that this example above is perfect to be able to have your potfiller & shelf!

• melissastar
    13 years ago

I'm actually planning a shelf/niche ...tiled...and pot filler. When I first saw comments about that being "too much", I agreed. Then I realized it all depends on the layout. I'm planning to put the potfiller to the side...over one set of burners on a 36" range. Most of the tiled niche will be plain...a soapstone ledge matching the counter, subway tiles. But there will be decorative tiles...it's just that they'll be off-centered too. Think of it as a mantle above a fireplace. You might have a vase (pot filler) to one side and a small picture or two balancing that on the other. If you plan it as a whole, rather than think of it piecemeal, I think it can work fine.

• colickyboy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The shelf in Casey's photo perfectly separates the upper backsplash from the SS backsplash, making the shelf appear less obvious. Fascinating photo, Casey. It's very well done...thanks for sharing!

• skoo
    13 years ago

We have a niche with shelf and a potfiller over top the side as well. Here's a pic - you can decide if it looks too busy for your taste:

I have weak wrists and mostly use a pasta insert, so I love having a pot filler. That way, DH can deal with the heavy pot during cleanup afterwards. :)

• canicci
    13 years ago

Casey,
    What is your range? And is the backsplash/shelf custom or an accessory with your range. I like the idea of a shelf over the range. I need all the space I can get in my kitchen.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

canicci,
    it's a 2006-vintage GE Monogram; the shelf/backsplash is the one that GE sells for that range; it is wall-mounted, after marking the stove height on the wall, adding 1/8".
    The shelf itself is perforated (slots, in fact) so it isn't as much an obstacle to venting, unless covered with as much "stuff" as mine has become. The shelf is only about 8-9" deep.
    It was a stressful time drilling the potfiller hole in that pricey chunk of stainless.
    Casey