Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
segbrown_gw

I love the long stainless shelf above my range

segbrown
13 years ago

So, we've been using the kitchen for about 9 months now, and one of the things we have that's a little different than most is the 7-ft-long stainless shelf over the range. We have a big hood and warming lights over it. I thought I would give a report for any current kitchen planners.

Here it is with a couple of casseroles ready for the warming lights, and plenty more room:

Anyway, we use it as extra counter, storage for cooking supplies (oil -- though it's not optimal for oils, it is working--, s&p, measuring cups), storage for prep ingredients when cook ing ... The heat lamps are useful for so much -- keeping plates and dishes warm, thawing food, softening butter, keeping mugs of coffee warm while you're cooking pancakes, etc. And it's so big, we can do all these things at the same time if we need to.

The negative is that I *think* we aren't capturing quite as much in the hood as we would otherwise, but I'm not sure because we didn't have the hood before. It is certainly not a problem (smells and the like), but you'd have to think some would get lost. You could certainly make it with some holes in it if it is a worry.

Anyway, it's one of the most useful things we did, and it was only about $300, custom made. If you have the room, give it a thought.

Comments (29)

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

That turkey looks so good that it reminds me of an ad layout "Look! You can fit your perfectly browned Thanksgiving turkey in our WOLF ovens!"

I like the warming shelf. You have a very nice blend of form and function; traditional and modern. I like how things are co-existing in there.

• cruisedirector
    13 years ago

I'm jealous. I really wanted to incorporate a SS shelf when I did my backsplash, but just couldn't find a way to do it without interfering with the design or the air flow.

If you can use a shorter shelf, Ikea makes them and so does Pottery Barn. Don't have to have custom-made.

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

How is it attached to the wall?

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i think that shelf is one of the many things i just love about your kitchen! function aside, i love the LOOK of it. seems as though something would definitely be missing without it. i'm glad you're getting a lot of use out of it. looks delicious!

• willinak
    13 years ago

Looks great and quite functional. I too would be concerned about the reduction in capture effectiveness. I would love to know the answer!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

How wonderful that looks--and it just exudes functionality, too! Now I want one!!

• rcvt
    13 years ago

Segbrown, is there an oil slick on the underside of the shelf?

I like the concept of the shelf but wonder too about its interference with capture.

Thanks,
    rc

• sue36
    13 years ago

Very nice! Would you tell us who made it? And how is it mounted to the wall? I've been thinking of removing my pot filler and doing something like that.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THe shelf was attached to the wall (and to the cabinets on either side first), and then tiled over. It's the one thing I didn't get photos of, though. :-(

And the underside of the shelf is not very dirty at all, which seems to mean that the hood is actually getting most stuff. It is a little tiny bit grimy, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, and who made it: Colorado Custom Stainless, I think.

grlwprls, glad you liked the turkey. :-) It looks awesome! (Tasted good too.)

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Hold On. I'll be right over! Two casseroles and a turkey.

It's great. So pretty, functional.

Is it screwed into the studs?

Thanks for posting for others. It's appreciated. Love your k.

• Susied3
    13 years ago

Segbrown, I love your shelf too.

But, my kitchen would NEVER look like that with a TURKEY in the oven! Shame on you for being so neat!

Anyway, I was planning on asking you several questions when I get to that stage of my planning because I love it so!
    I'm trying to decide on a long niche, or a shelf like yours. How wide is it? Or should I say deep?
    And, do you mind telling what your hood is? It's probably on here somewhere, and I'll probably ask again at that point, but, we're here, it's now, I'll write it down. :)

Also, I like your hood cover.
    Your kitchen is beautiful.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"But, my kitchen would NEVER look like that with a TURKEY in the oven! Shame on you for being so neat!"

That's hilarious, because I was looking at this photo and thinking, "What's with that??" It's Thanksgiving. Must have been before everyone else showed up. It's very strange.

Better? ;-)

• segbrown
    Original Author
    13 years ago

1. I don't know if it's screwed into studs. I would guess so ... I can find out.

2. It's 13" deep, 86" long.

3. It's a Viking hood, and it was the ONLY one we could find that was a 54" liner with heat lamps. What a pain, but I'm glad there was ONE out there. This was almost 2 years ago, that we were looking, so maybe there is something else now. It's either 900 or 1200 cfm.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Much better. I was starting to think that was a rubber or plastic turkey in the oven, as your kitchen was waaay too clean for Thanksgiving. ;^) :^D

Your kitchen always makes me drool. *sigh*

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

segbrown - where did you get those stainless steel containers I see on your countertops? I would love to have a couple of those. Thanks.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    13 years ago

countrygal, they are from Cost plus/World Market.

• growlery
    13 years ago

I like your shelf. It looks really useful, and handsome. And even if it does get greasy, stainless is easy to clean.

I also really like your tile -- it's a shape I don't think I've seen before, a compromise between a 4x4 and a subway. Very nice!

• Susied3
    13 years ago

Much better! :)

I thought it looked deeper than most. It seems it would be much more practical to have one that deep with heat lamps, you can set dishes on it.

We haven't started looking for hoods as of yet, although I suppose we should, the range will be here Sept. 13th.

Is your range 48"? It looks like it.
    Thanks so much for the info!

• segbrown
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the range is 48". And the depth is indeed one thing that makes it so useful. A decent trade-off for small loss of capture, I believe.

• ashebooks
    13 years ago

I have an integrated shelf with my stainless backsplash. Couln't live without it. Every day seasonings are always within arms reach. My hood has 2 heat lamps built in which is great as I can set plates in preparation and first stays warms while last is being plated

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

I love your shelf. It combines beauty with function perfectly.

I'd planned a rod for hanging utensils behind my range. Now I'm wondering about doing a shelf instead. However, I don't think the Modernaire insert we chose has a heat lamp. Without the heat lamp, I wonder if the usefulness versus less capture area tradeoff would not be in our favor.

• Kelli Culpepper
    9 years ago

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Your kitchen is lovely and looks very functional.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Dangit..here I was all sett for no uppers and a curved chiminey hood. But now this!

Okay adding that set to the idea list!

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Segbrown, can you share the depth and height of this shelf?
    thanks!

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

Scrappy, I'm not sure segbrown is around. In her reveal thread, she said the shelf was 13" deep. She also said her backsplash tiles are 6"H x 8"W. She's got 4 rows of tile below the shelf, so by counting tiles, it's hung at 24" above the counter - or 60" above the finished floor.

I've linked her reveal thread for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Segbrown's Finished Kitchen Reveal - Finito! one more white/marble/soapstone kitchen

• stars26
    3 years ago

shelf above range. 13" deep

• Karina Echeverria
    2 years ago

Where can I find this shelve?