Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houseful_gw

For Those with Frig Doors that Hit Wall -- Solution!!

houseful
12 years ago

Hi there,

I know there is at least one other person here that had this problem. She had a paper bag wedged beside the door so it wouldn't hit her wall.

Anyway, my frig would have been fine if it wasn't for an unexpected framing issue. It's been a problem since we moved into the new kitchen in December. I have had the frig pulled forward to avoid it hitting the walls. So literally in the middle of the night last night, I had an idea. If any of you are familiar with the Jeep Wranglers, you may know that the doors will swing all the way open unless held in place by a strap. If figured I could attach these straps to the frig somehow.

The first thing I did this morning was scope out a place to attach the straps to the frig. As it turns out, the screws for the hinges were in just the right places to hold the straps. I had to cut them shorter, but they are working perfectly to stop my doors from opening too wide. Yes, I did make sure I could remove the drawers and shelves :) Now I can slide my frig in all the way!!

Hinge on frig box above bottom freezer

Screw on under side of door itself

Frig door closed and no sign of strap

We have our own Jeep accessories business, so I just grabbed a set from our garage. However, you can find this material on something as simple as a dog leash. The Jeep straps are a double layer, but this material is fairly stong in general.

HTH at least a few people!!

Comments (12)