Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eastbaymom_gw

delays happen -- but sometimes better planning would help!

eastbaymom
13 years ago

This thread is inspired by Nishka's on "things you wish you had done". I had to start a new one because I have no "preview message" button on that thread (darn forum software!

I wish I had planned better, because some of the delays we experienced could have shortened our time in a temporary kitchen.

Specifically --

I wish I had finalized my sink choice before ordering cabinets, and made sure I had it in the garage before beginning demolition. (For that matter, I wish I had insisted that the GC *NOT* begin demolition before the cabinets had actually been received.)

Both of those things created delays that could have been avoided. We had a rough time going without running water in the kitchen, and it didn't have to be 51 days.

So, how about you? Could you have done anything differently to prevent some of the delays you experienced?

Here is a link that might be useful: Related thread on things you wish you had done differently.

Comments (3)

• ebean
    13 years ago

we can't actually final order the cabinets until the demo is done because we're taking everything down.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I ordered sinks 'way last fall, when there was what seemed to be a wonderful sale just after Thanksgiving. But this project is DIY and nothing has occurred on schedule. Those two blasted cast iron sinks have been a horse anchor for this project for half a year, currently taking up most of a major walkpath near kitchen; previously they moved from one corner of the construction zone to another every so often. Not a good idea. Where was my mind?

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Florantha, your mind was on the bottom line. If you thought it was a good deal that you could not afford to pass up, then you got those sinks for good reason, in my opinion. Besides, what is an extra sink or two? My new sink (old-from the Habitat Re-Store) has been half-blocking the entrance to what would be a living room if we did not live here - along with the faucet and backsplash tiles. (For us, it is a library/music room.) The cabs are in the garage and third bedroom, the light fixtures on the dryer. Tile samples are in the foyer, and our samples for all of our finish surfaces live in DH's car.

Co-ordination is the key in a project like this. Sometimes I think that those of you working with multiple professionals have it far worse than I do with my little middle-class kitchens. It is just me - armed with opinions from DH - and my retail purchases and my contractor - one guy with the license to do it all, a GC. He hires help when he needs it. I cannot imagine giving up control of a kitchen remodel by hiring a KD. And subs! Aghaaa! you would have to tie me down the second time one of them slowed down my project with the shenanigans some of them pull on you guys. I am so very grateful that I came upon my builder. If any of you out there are in SE Michigan (or anywhere - he works up north, too) and want to avoid the trouble you hear about on this forum, send me an email. I swear - this guy shows up every day. Your job is the only one he is working on. He tends to run late on starting and finishing, but that is because he does a good job and is committed to you until it is done. If he is late starting (was 3 weeks late starting this kitchen for us) you don't mind because he is giving the previous job the same attention he will be giving you next.

We learned in early April that we were doing this remodel. That was when I bought a used kitchen. We had to special order our wall oven and downdraft, but they were "normal" items and not specialty or high end. We shopped Craigslist for items until the week in which we had to order each item from the "real" stores in order to get things on time. So I ended up with a cooktop, faucet, and counter stools at half price new on Craigslist (The stools were a year old, but like new. They had lived at a downstairs bar in a half-furnished McMansion until the owners lost the house.) The oven, downdraft, and garbage disposal were retail. We did get the oven for the same price as we could have gotten at an online store, though. ;-)

If you want that Ferrari, though, you have to get the order in early and wait for them to build it for you. That is something to take into consideration.