Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large backsplash slab and countertop are different stones and col

Posted by BravoDesign (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 15:09

Where my range will be going I will not be installing upper cabinets, just stainless steel wall hood with 36" custom antique wood shelves on sach side on corbels. The wall is 9 ft x 5 ft. The countertop is a brazilian exotic granite. It's busy. I'd like to put a slab of either quartz or marble on the wall for backsplash.

Question is: Must the backsplash and countertop be same? I can't do same because it will get too dark and way too busy.

And if it is okay to do different pieces, should I create a nice 4" backsplash first using tiles plus a border behind the countertop and then the big slab atop that to give it a transition? Or is okay to place the backsplash slab on a different countertop directly?

If anyone has a slab on a different countertop for backsplash can you please post pics? I can't find any on the web.

Look forward to replies thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large backsplash slab and countertop are different stones and

What about a piece of painted glass to coordinate with the counter? I'm. Not sure another pattern, even a subtle one, would look right. Sounds like you are opposed to tile. What BS are tou using in the rest of the kitchen?

o
RE: Large backsplash slab and countertop are different stones and

The only time a slab backsplash looks right is if it the same granite as the counter. We did bookmatching seams on our vignette here so the veins flow across the whole installation.

If you want a single surface, consider sheet stainless or glass. Or large format tile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here