Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geomeg_gw

Benjamin Moore natural wicker/bone white cabinet color?

geomeg
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm still undecided about the cabinet color....

Someone posted a link to Shanghaimom's stunning kitchen in another thread and I loved the color of her cabs which is bone white aka natural wicker.

Does anyone else have cabs this color?

I bought a little sample of the paint but it seems darker in my tiny kitchen than in the pics of Shanghaimom`s fabulous kitchen...

Any other color in BM that looks like this? It could be my lighting or lack of too...

Comments (24)

• deedles
    11 years ago

do you have the link to her kitchen?

Someone... TorontoTim? Posted a pic of his kitchen painted MD Cloud White... really nice. I'm using that in our MBR and entry I like it so much.

• deedles
    11 years ago

very nice kitchen.

I don't think you can really compare a computer screen color to what you're seeing. Go with your eyes.

At our BM store they have a whole rack of little sample pots so you could get a few and test out some big patches.

Try BM White Dove. At least in the Satin Impervo line I thought it had a very creamy tone like the pic you linked to...

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

I am looking at the paint deck - very nice color. On the same strip but a tad lighter is OC-5 Maritime White, OC-6 Feather Down and next strip in the deck is a nice lighter color - OC-9 Ballet White. Oh, back to the first strip, maybe OC-7 Creamy White.

Cheers.

M

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Here's one of Shangaimom's photos

One of the things about paint is that it's going to look different at your house than pretty much anywhere else, so it's really important to try it out in the space you want to use it in. We're currently choosing a bedroom paint for a room with a large south-facing window opposite a long, uninterrupted wall. Outside the window there's the edge of a large shade tree that casts just a bit of green-ish light onto the wall. A color we thought was going to be lovely just sucked all the life out of the room. We tried BM Dove White and it was blazing stark white. Classic Gray was better, but still had no life. Dove Wing turns out to be just the right note of comfortable light. I'm pretty sure it would look entirely different in a bedroom on the other side of the hallway that gets a northern light plus no tree.

Moral of the story: keep going back to the store and getting more samples to try out in your space. If BM doesn't have the 2 oz sample size of the color you want, they also make small pint cans for sampling for about $6-something each. Our local store didn't carry this size (it's small mom-and-pop store), but the Ace Hardware down the road did.

• geomeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's what I'm going to do today, go and get some more of the small sample sizes of BM paint...

The natural wicker looks more beige in my kitchen than in the photo above. Ofcourse I am looking at this photo on a screen and not in person...

Basically though that is the color I am looking to achieve. I'm looking for a nice creamy white on the darker side that doesn't read too beige.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I posted the link to Shanghaimom's kitchen in your other thread because I thought it was interesting how a color that looks pretty beige in some spaces (I considered it briefly for a wall color to contrast with Cloud White), looks nice and creamy in her pictures; your perfect color might not be one you'd pick at first glance. Lighting is HUGE! White Dove is a popular one around here, but it looked grayish in my space, not creamy.

White Down Cabinets (Catsam's kitchen, about 1/3 of the way down the page)

*Lancaster White/Antique White cabinets (mamadadapaige's last kitchen...stock cabinet color was Antique White, but her 'matching' trim and baseboards are in BM Lancaster White)

Timid White Cabinets

Linen White Cabinets (halfway down, positano's kitchen - color-matched)

Acadia White Cabinets (jbrodie's kitchen - whiter in sunlight, darker in evening, and almost look two-toned in the varying light)

Mannequin Cream Cabinets (9th pic down, wine bottle on counter)

(thanks to boxerpups)

I also found a thread where julie92 talked about painting her cabinets Navajo White and was having 2nd thoughts about whether it was too beige or not. Does anyone know if she changed the color or posted finished kitchen pics?

• geomeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jessicaml!

I bought samples of Navajo White and Maritime White today.
    I painted some 9 by 12 canvas boards with the different colors and it really helps to see the colors better.

Natural Wicker wasn't as beige as I thought and I am really considering it. Navajo White is really nice too.

I am leaning towards a light granite like Kashmire White or Colonial Cream.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

You're welcome, Geomeg!

I love the white-on-white look. It's one of the many color combinations on my list for my 'next' or 'someday' kitchen. ;)

An acquaintance of mine has stark white laminate countertops (bulletproof yet gentle, perfect for toddlers), creamy off-white cabinets, and another off-white on the walls. It's a very rich, complex, yet airy space. I love it...but I never think to ask her what colors she used.

Good luck in your sampling!

• kimiko232
    11 years ago

You might want to pick your granite first. Then, pick out your color of cabs. The two granites you've picked are really different colors of white. Kashmir being grey/cool toned (sometimes having warm streaks) and colonial cream being more creamy ivory toned. Those were two granites I was considering also.

Our cabs are ivory white. I matched it to the cream in our quartz. I originally was going to go with simply white as that is what the rest of the house is. That and I really love the color against our walls. But, it was super stark white compared to the quartz. It didn't mesh well at all. I was actually going to paint the cabs first as it looked just fine with the small (2x2") sample I had. When I got the entire slab, it was really funny looking. I'm glad I matched it to our quartz first.

Good luck!
    Kim

• geomeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kim!
    I have a small piece of the Kashmire white and you're right about the colors, although mine also has some blue in it.

I need to take the paint sample to the granite place and see which ones work.... Ugh more descisions!

• christine40
    11 years ago

we picked our granite first, then selected BM Clay Beige. I love love it! Not too white--a bit like mushroom!

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Geomeg,

Here are a couple of fairly recent snaps of my on and on and ongoing new-build kitchen. The cabinets are bone white. In the first pic you can compare it to the (old) white sink. In the second you can compare it to the wall color which is a BM color match to Farrow and Ball's "String."

• geomeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christine and Nuthetokie your kitchens are both beautiful!

Christine what granite do you have?

Nutherokie I love the butcher block counters. I would love to have butcher block but am afraid of the upkeep, how do you find them? Also are your cabs bone white from BM ? The color looks great!

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

I wish I could tell you about the butcher block counters, but we still haven't finished them, so I'm hoping for the best. I'm staining them and using Waterlox as the finish. I just started on the laundry room counters and they're looking great. We should be moving in within the month, so I should have a testimonial before too long.

Yes, the cab color is BM bone white. I really love the color.

• christine40
    11 years ago

Geomeg... Our granite is typhoon Bordeaux, but a really dark slab....I have yet to see another like it! Usually typhoon is lighter.

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

My cabinets are BM canvas which has a yellow undertone, BM white dove has a grey undertone. My granite has gold in it, which I felt was brought out better with the canvas. Every color looks different in your house, I bought many samples, and boards before deciding on cabinet and wall color....hope you figure out which color is best for you soon!

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

My counters are Waterloxed butcherblock. It was a pain to put on (not hard, just many coats over many days), but it's really easy to care for.

nutherokie, I've loved your brick floor from the first time I saw it! It's fun to see your progress. :)

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

Hi Geomeg,

I just saw this thread and thought I would weigh in!

The Bone White color looks very dark when it is next to something white. The only reason I was brave enough to go for it in my DARK kitchen is because the rest of my house has Bone White trim and it pretty much reads "cream." It was easy to just make it all match.

The photo of my kitchen is deceiving, light-wise. EVERY light is on! I have very little natural light. Nutherokie's photo (WOW, how did I miss seeing pics of that incredible kitchen???!!) is taken in natural light, and the color looks very true-to-life on my screen.

Good luck with your choices--I don't think you can go wrong with the Natural Wicker, Bone White or Navajo White if you're looking for the cabinetry to read "cream."

• geomeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Shanghaimom, I'm so glad to have you weigh in! Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! My kitchen is tiny and has hardwood floors, wood doors and trim . I'm looking for a nice cream color because I think white might look too stark. Our appartement is on the third story of a 1930's triplex so I need a color to match the rest of the space which has alot of wood trim and exposed brick. I'm going for the vintage look... Can you think of any other BM colors that will read "cream"? thanks

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

Geomeg, thanks so much for the kitchen compliments. We really enjoy the space.

Since your kitchen has wood doors and trim, have you considered doing a sort of unfitted look with cream uppers and wood base cabs? (Or the reverse.) I think the combo works so well for a vintage look and your window trim and doors would blend in nicely.

I do agree with you that cream is a better choice than bright white with the wood tones and exposed brick. Another two good creams from BM--Monterey White (HC-27) and Lancaster Whitewash. (HC174) Neither has any hint of peach or putty.

Here are a couple of quick pics of what I mean--there are also a few threads you could dig up about two-toned kitchens.

• geomeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Shanghaimom!
    I've actually considered this look but what concerns me is how small my kitchen is. The room is only about 10'5" by 9'5".
    Also there is very little room for cabinets because the kitchen has 3 doors and a window in it!

I had a thread asking for help with the layout for the tiniest ugliest kitchen with some pics...

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

I just looked at your layout thread with pics, Geomeg. Believe me, yours is definitely NOT the ugliest kitchen!!! Those doors are to die for!! The old floors, too!! Yes, it is small, but if we all had tons of space and unlimited bucks, where's the fun/challenge? There are so many good "tiny kitchen" threads with ingenious solutions to learn from. Try some search keywords that have "NYC" and you'll find some really great stuff.

I don't think the size precludes the two-toned look, if you like it....

• geomeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Shanghaimom for your suggestions!

My husband prefers wood cabs but I think a cream colour will lighten up the space. The rest of the apartment has the same doors and trim and floors. I think adding more wood may be too much? Although sometimes I think picking a wood stain may be easier than the right cream colour, lol!

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living