Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
two-level island?

Posted by mary26w (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 15:06

We are redoing a small 1980's townhouse kitchen. It's an L shaped kitchen with a two-level island (actually it abuts the window wall over looking the street.) I have placed 2 chairs to use side by side at the lower level, which is 15" wide. And I like this set-up very much because I have a hard time climbing up on a stool or even barchair. I use the higher side, which is 24" wide, as prep area. Thinking of re-sale, which could be in 3-5 years, should I install a one-level island?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: two-level island?

My preference would be a one-level island.

Do you need seating at the island? Do you have a table & chairs nearby?

o

I like a one-level island so that you have uninterrupted expanse of counter. The uninterrupted counter is more useful in a kitchen that is small as you described.

o

I have a strong preference for a one-level island. Are you only concerned about resale? If not, then do what you like and don't worry about what others like.

o

Is it a small townhouse likely to resell to older people? You aren't the only one who likes to sit at a normal height I bet. In this case, I don't think it'll affect resale and you should do what works for you.

o

I also have a strong preference for a 1-level island, but particular in a small townhouse kitchen -- I think two levels cuts off the room and makes each room seem smaller.

o

Check out FoxCrane's kitchen - this is a GREAT use of a small space. One of my favorites.

Here is a link that might be useful: FoxCrane's kitchen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here