Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kamkar2006_gw

Imperial Danby Marble Seams

kamkar2006
11 years ago

Does anyone who has used imperial danby as counter tops have pictures of their seams?? We had it installed in our kitchen and the seam is terrible. The installer told me that imperial marble is a clear ish stone and thats why the seams look so bad evident but I think he just used the wrong color and cannot fix it. Anyone have an idea what we can do? I will try and post a pic if I can figure out how to do it....right now I am so upset I just don't know if I have the patience to sit and figure it out:(

Comments (27)

• User
    11 years ago

I am thinking about Carrara marble counters and the slabs I am looking at would require seams also. Have you tried googling it to find other marble seams online and see how yours compare? See if you can get your pictures up and others can help you. Can you upload your photos to Photobucket?

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope this works. Here is a picture of the seam. You can see where he used grey and then white on top...

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The seam is located between the stove side wall and the sink side wall. Here is a pic of where it is. I think it is huge and so obvious. I also think it is too thick!

{{!gwi}}

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll try again with the pic...

• friedajune
    11 years ago

I don't know whether it's cause you posted your pic sideways, but honestly, I cannot see the seam. Your kitchen looks beautiful.

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for such bad pics. I will take a few more tomorrow and post them. What he did was smoke grey first, then I asked him to take it out and do white as it looked too dark and he said it would dry darker! This was the result. I will post a better pic tmw. The second pic does not show a good view of the area where the seam is, plus i posted it sideways! Sorry about that!

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another pic of the seam.

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more picture. Wow, this seam looks so awful.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

It looks wide. How did he pull the slabs together?

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no idea how they pulled the slabs together, I was too nervous to watch and I felt that my pacing was making them nervous! I am so disappointed. How do they fix something like this??

• marthavila
    11 years ago

Are you saying that this is the finished seam? If so, it's ridiculous! I've never seen such. A good fabricator ought to be able to do a good seam-- regardless of the material. You have all the reason to be disappointed. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice as to a fix.:-(

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I wouldn't be happy with that seam either. It doesn't look acceptable. Your fabricator did a good job matching the pieces themselves from one to the next.

The seam can be removed. When my Carrara was put in, the two pieces on the DR side of the peninsula didn't meet up correctly. Installers put them in and finished the seam. We weren't happy with how the beverage zone slab met the wall or with the overhang consistency down the front. The installers came back a couple weeks later to fix the issues. They heated up the seam to soften the material and took the smaller Carrara piece off. When they were done with all the adjustments, they put the piece back back and re-did the seam.

In watching the installers mix up the seam material, I can say it looks like they need to have a bit of an artistic eye for color. My guys had a 2-3 colors and mixed by hand to match the background color of the stone. Once that was smooshed in, they used a darker gray color across the seam in appropriate areas to mimic the veining between the slabs.

I would ask that it be fixed. It doesn't, however, sound like your installer would do any better job the next time. I don't have experience with Danby though so maybe that really is the best that can be done. I doubt it though. Please post back how this works out. Good luck!!

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Breezygirl- Thank you for sharing your experience. It made me feel so much better hearing that they were able to fix your issue. Our fabricator assures me that they will fix anything we need and it can be done, but when you have spent months planning the kitchen layout, color, size, counter tops etc., it feels like any huge error like this one can ruin everything.

I also agree about them needing to have an eye for color. The installer was trying to convince me that the danby had a natural grey as the main color, not white. He said white for the seams would not look good, so after much insistence on my part he added white but on top instead of scraping out and removing the grey. Oh, this is such as mess! Sigh!

I will post pictures when it is re-done, but I have to say your response gave me some hope!

• marthavila
    11 years ago

That was a good response, Breezy! Given the size of my kitchen and my layout, I'll confess to not having much experience with seams. In fact, there's only one seam in the whole kitchen and it's behind the kitchen faucet in my soapstone countertop. Not much to see -- but even so, the fabricator did a good job of making it nearly invisible. But, your post did get my attention, Kamkar, because I have an (unseamed) Imperial Danby marble table top. At least based on my stone, I would disagree with your installer's claim that that marble is mainly grey in color. Like yours, my eyes tell me that Imperial Danby is largely white! :-)

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marthavila- Like you I had no idea about seams and how much I really should have just watched over him doing it! I could not believe when he started explaining that danby is really grey and opaque?!? He really had no clue...but I do feel optimistic that it can be fixed. How was your table top help up with stains or etching?

• eandj
    11 years ago

Hi Kamkar2006 -- First, your kitchen is GORGEOUS! We have very similar taste (before I even saw yours, I had picked out the same hardware, counters, and faucets!). Great minds think alike.

Second, did your danby marble seam issue get resolved? If so, can I see a final picture? And how was it resolved?

I just had imperial danby installed as well, and while the seam was narrower than yours initially, we are having the same issue with the color of the seam material. I would love to be able to tell our fabricator how yours was resolved, so he can stop experimenting with different colors (off white, gray, etc.).

Thanks!

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Breezy,

Can you show your seam especially the hand applied matches to the viening..

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

It looks to me that there is a little lip on the inside corner of the left slab. That lip seems to be holding the slabs apart. If they had ground that front edge down very slightly, wouldn't the pieces have come together much better?

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi

It did get resolved and I don't really notice it at all. I will snap a pic tmw and upload it.

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is one pic of the seam. I guess it is noticeable because the counters are so white and opaque but I really do not notice it when I am in the kitchen.

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a close up. It actually changed color after they did it. They used a shade of white that they said is recommended by the manufacturer. If I could have them replace the counter again, I would but I am so afraid of damaging the cabinets so I opted to live with it. And now its all in place I am fine with it. Good luck with the seam and post pics so we can see the outcome!!!

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a close up. It actually changed color after they did it. They used a shade of white that they said is recommended by the manufacturer. If I could have them replace the counter again, I would but I am so afraid of damaging the cabinets so I opted to live with it. And now its all in place I am fine with it. Good luck with the seam and post pics so we can see the outcome!!!

{{!gwi}}

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I was so busy with kids' birthday parties that I didn't have a chance to follow up and see your resolution. I'm glad you got them to rework it and that you're happy with your kitchen. It sure is gorgeous!

Lalitha--I didn't see our question either. If you'd like, I can take a pic ofthe seam over the next couple of days and post. I still have no working camera at home. (ggrrrrrr)

• springroz
    11 years ago

Um, kamkar2006.......

You Even have a BACKSPLASH!?!? And have we seen a finished kitchen???

Sorry if we have and I missed it, but if NOT.....post, please!

Looks so gorgeous!

Nancy

• emilykd
    3 months ago

We are having the exact same problem today, 13 years later. To start, the two pieces aren’t lining up correctly. The second problem is that it appears the epoxy is bleeding into the marble. They are coming in a few days to cut into the wall to push the marble back where it needs to go. But I don’t know what to do to really fix the way Seam looks. I would absolutely do Danby marble again, but no seams in such a visible area.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem with seams in Danby marble?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 months ago

"Does anyone know how to fix this problem with seams in Danby marble?"

Yes. Pull the tops and have the seams remade with a Seam Phantom. They will be highly inconspicuous, but the fix will be nearly the cost of replacement. And good luck getting a fabricator/repairperson to take the job.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio