Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
repaintingagain_gw

Show me your Kitchen Table!!! Pretty please!

repaintingagain
14 years ago

I'm definitely bad at visualizing. And having finally mastered finding my counters, I'm starting to wonder - what will we do for a table?

Can you please post a picture of your kitchen (so I know what style it is) and the table/chairs you have in that kitchen. Feel free to add any details such as where you got it or the type of wood/paint/finish, etc.

I have no idea what style would work well in my kitchen. I've gone from trestle to oval to round to farm to....another decision making me crazy.

Thanks in advance for the eye candy!

Comments (52)

• positano
    14 years ago

We have the Pottery Barn Harvest table. I think it's a 46 inch round that extends to an oval. Has a little distressed espresso finish that is really nice. I have young kids and decided to put a glass top on it, I would prefer to see the wood, but this is working out great for all those art projects. Maybe when they get older we can take it off.

The chairs are 10 years old from Pottery Barn. I plan on getting new slipcovers eventually.

So far very happy with the table. Good luck!

From April 2009

• repaintingagain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh I like that table very much, too. I don't know why, but it hadn't occurred to me that I could put glass on a table. Did you have it specially made?

I have been fretting about getting too good of a table because I really want my table to be okay for drawing, painting, coloring, play-dough, etc. And even though the paints are all washable nowadays, the thought of spending a fortune on a set and then seeing the first perm. something or another makes me not want something I will be fearful about hurting.

I was pondering that at least I could put a vinyl table cloth on, but then...why spend a good chunk of change on a beautiful table to have it almost permanently covered with a vinyl table cloth. yuck.

But this glass idea - duh! Never occurred to me. Great idea.

Do you mind sharing details?

• allison0704
    14 years ago

We have the Farmhouse table purchased from Storehouse 18+ years ago. It came with a white base and the chairs were white with wooden seats. Top was butcher block maple. All very well made.

Approximately 12 years ago, I had the base and chairs painted/glazed - no more wooden/stained seats. When we built a new "old" house 3 years ago, I had a new "old" top made. Since we raised our family around it, we couldn't see replacing. The old top is downstairs waiting either for DD2 or DH to claim.

Upclose of top (and Newcat's head) :

• repaintingagain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh and one more question for you Positano - what is the color of your walls in the kitchen? I love it. (Love your kitchen as well...my dream kitchen, especially with the Costa granite, at least I think that is what it is). I would do that in a heartbeat if we could do a full remodel. Your space is stunning.

• repaintingagain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Allison0704- I love your table as well. I have been browsing craigslist to see what I can find that might be old and in need of some work (by me). What a great idea to glaze the chairs as well.

(And I love your house with the wood trim). Oh so pretty!

Thank you for sharing.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I will show you my kitchen table (small round), my kitchen chairs (still need painting), and our dining room table, too. I know that's larger than you want, but it was a DIY project (easy for a carpenter or GC, too), made to be tough for homeschooling 8 kids on it (lots of exposure to markers, glue, paint, scissors, etc.), and still looks nice, without being dressy/formal...So the idea could work for a kitchen table, functioning as you describe. It is 2 layers of plywood or MDF, topped with laminate, and edged with oak. We bought the metal, pedestal bases at a restaurant supply store. I will show a couple of photos, to hope you can see the details as well as possible.

Kitchen table when new:

In place, with chairs:

The dining table with laminate top and metal pedestal legs:

• kidshop
    14 years ago

I'm not fancy and I need a table to seat 8 since I do not have a dining room. This table is a 46" square that opens to a 65' circle! It has a rustic appearance, so it's great for kids (they can't hurt it). The chairs are giant, but very sturdy. It really fits our needs. And was cheap....it came from Havertys.

• positano
    14 years ago

Hi repaintingagain,
    Thanks for the kind words about the kitchen. I really love it too, and the granite is Costa Esmeralda.We're still deciding on a backsplash and waiting for some money to do it! Then I'll post finished pictures. The paint color is Benjamin Moore Crown Point Sand HC-90, a great neutral that has a little green, a little gold and tan. It really worked out great with the costa, I was afraid of adding too much green and this was perfect.

I do love the ease of having a glass top. The kids can go to town with anything. My sister in law has a similar table without a glass top and her kids have drawn all over it. She wishes she had done a glass top, but now it's too late.It does get a little smudgy with my 3yo ds, he loves to smear stuff on it. But a little windex is all it takes to clean it.

I had it made at a local glass shop, one day turnaround. I think it came to a little under $200.Not cheap, but in the long run worth it. When we extend it we just slide the glass under our bed or out on the patio.When the glass guys brought it in they said I should use coasters to prevent scratching. I don't use them and so far it's been fine. I'm ok with a few scratches in the glass.

HTH! Let us know what you decide!

• positano
    14 years ago

Cool table kidshop, love the square to a round!

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Our formal dining room is not ready to move into yet and the eating area in the kitchen is tiny so we put a counter height table for four there.

View from kitchen.

Close-up.

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• tiskers
    14 years ago

Fun thread!

Here's mine. Distressed pine farmhouse table with a single middle drawer. It has a multiple-plank top with square nail heads. Four chairs are distressed black Windsor style. There's also a matching pine bench (you can see it under the window) that we can pull up to the table when we need more seating. When we do that, we put the bench on one side and 2 chairs on the other side and we can comfortably seat 7.

• tiskers
    14 years ago

Jodi,
    Your kitchen and eating nook are beautiful!
    Could you please tell us more about the light filtering screen you have behind your table and chairs? Is there a view you are blocking? Very clever and attractive!

• prill
    14 years ago

Here's mine. 1700's PA tavern table.

{{!gwi}}

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Tiskers, there is a long story behind the screens we have in front of our windows.

After pulling out all of our old kitchen cabinets, roots from some of our 20 trees in the backyard were discovered coming up around our sink water pipe in the middle of the kitchen. Yow!

During our remodel we were going to put in a new window and French doors but now we needed to have our concrete patio broken up and hauled away so we could cut back all of the roots from our trees. No sense in putting new windows in just to have a chuck of concrete fly and break it.

Our old window treatment was long gone so I bought a couple shoji screens to give us some privacy and keep the sun out. Since I love Japanese decor, it fit right in with my home.

We still haven't torn the patio out or gotten new windows, so the screens remain.

Jodi-

• jan_jan
    14 years ago

I love seeing all the tables so I will throw mine in. It has a leaf that makes it a big square. I have a matching serving table and stool so I put a pic of that in there too.
    Like the other poster I put glass on them and I have had them now for 9 years. I take the glass off every now and then to change it up but I always end up putting it back on. I had a local glass store make them for $75 for both. I love letting the kids do playdoe and make a mess with dinner and then just windex it off and it's shiny clean.
    Fun post...good luck with table hunting. :)

• repaintingagain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rhome - I love how creative you were with your kitchen table. It certainly looks like something you would buy at a store. I'm so impressed that you found the base separately, etc. And it is absolutely kid friendly. (Something I must accomplish with our next table).

Kidshop - The circle to square table is just the best! I looked on Haverty's website and could not find it. Perhaps it is something they had a while ago. But the idea of how it functions from small to large, but in a circle is really nice. I am leaning towards a circular table for my space - just a question of how big, etc.

Positano - Thank you for the information on the paint color. I looked at it in my paint chips and love the color. Unfortunately, I already painted my family room a color and that will not go. I seem to keep on finding great colors now, but am limited by what I have in my family room. But whenever I see a great color in a kitchen, I am hopeful that it might work here. Anyhow, your color is great.

Prill - your table is so wonderful. I love idea of having a table with a history. I'm partial to old homes and old things..even though this home is only 8 years old. :( But my last home was from the 1920's and having something old makes me wonder what wonderful things happened in a space or in your case - the conversations that happened around that table. You must love it.

Thanks everyone for posting all of your pictures. Jodi, your counter height table is great. I think my 2 year old would fall off, :) but as kids get older it really is a great alternative. And Jan-jan I love the idea of glass. Positano and you had great ideas. I'm definitely stealing that one for whatever table I find! Tiskers, I love the drawer on yours. Talk about a great place for crayons!

Thanks everyone for all of the contributions. I really appreciate the visuals.

Repainting Again (yes, about to during nap time - this time the foyer trim.)

• repaintingagain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh and just for fun (before I get to that painting...) here is another inspiration table I found online. Maybe I can put something like this together with things I find online at Craiglist. Throw on some glass on the table and I'll be good to go!

• mercurygirl
    14 years ago

I posted this on the island thread awhile back. This original table I found on a website for around $1000 + shipping. Then I found a local furniture dealer who can probably get it made for me for $2-300, as it'll just be painted pine. Different color, though.

• chiefneil
    14 years ago

Here's the table we're currently using (photo taken in old kitchen). I made it to match my previous house/kitchen so it's days are numbered in the new kitchen. I'm planning on going in the complete opposite direction design-wise, with something dark, heavy, and more rustic.

• repaintingagain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mercurygirl - what a great find an idea to have someone make it for you, and for such a great price. I think my total budget for my table, given all that we are doing is something like $100. Oh wish me luck.
    Chiefneil - the inlay in your table is really pretty. Although, I understand your interest in the rustic look. I think it is "in" right now. Around here, rustic is always good for art projects.

• repaintingagain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, if I'm trying to match my inspiration table - anyone have thoughts on this combo:

$25 for each chair (6) therefore $150
    $150 for the table, 5' round

So perhaps for around $200-$250 after negotiations, I could have 6 chairs and a table.

I know how to refinish wood, but have no experience with recanning (sp.?) chairs. The ad says they need to be recanned.

Any suggestions? Do you think this has potential to be a nice set in a kitchen?

• mercurygirl
    14 years ago

Hey repainting,

The table might work, but it's much more "solid" in feel than your inspiration. If you just like round, then that's ok. It also looks pretty weathered, but maybe that's fixable. The price is certainly right.

I don't care for the chairs in the second pic. To me, they don't look right for the table. I'd be interested in the chairs to the right of the table in the top pic.

Maybe you could find an unfinished furniture place near you, also? Just a thought. Good luck!

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I like the chairs better than the table, which looks VERY heavy and not so much like your inspiration pic. Look into recaning though, before getting your heart set on them! My mom set out to do hers in the 80's and never finished. But I THINK these days you can buy seat kits at craft stores that make it an easier job. Check into it though, both price and time commitment...

• londongirl_2009
    14 years ago

Re-caning is very tedious if you do it manually. You can sometimes find sheets of caning that you can just attach to the chairs (I'm not sure how to though). My husband took a course in caning a number of years ago and did 6 dining room chairs for our antique suite. Good luck.

• crazyhouse6
    14 years ago

Fun thread. Love all the different styles.

Here's ours...

I love the bench seating - fits LOTS of kids.

• repaintingagain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of the advice about the recanning and table.

I agree that the table looked heavy. The inspiration pic. has much nicer legs. Well, much nicer everything actually! The legs almost look like they come out from angles underneath and are set back in a way that they are not in the way of knees too much. I have not seen something like that in person. They seem nicer than the typical legs around the edge.

And realistically, I don't think I have the time to recan myself. So I will have to look into how much that could cost if done professionally. I did at least like the way the chairs in the ad are simple (not a lot of turns around the posts, like some ladderback chairs have.)

I suppose I can just continue to look. I think I need a mindset that this might take me a while to find.

Crazyhouse - love the bench. I grew up with a bench in my house and it was always easy to have people over.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I just found these on craigslist. Maybe they'll ship them to you? They look like your pic and no recaning!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladderback chairs on craigslist

• mimi72
    14 years ago

I had to post mine b/c even though I am not crafty or creative by nature, I made my table. I wanted a narrow but long table for the space. My theme is midcentury modern. I ordered a solid core unstained interior door from Lowe's in the dimensions I wanted then stained it to match my Thonet chairs which I got on Craigslist. The table legs were ordered off the internet.

Excuse the mess in the kitchen, we are in the middle of a minor remodel which includes some new cabinets, a Kobe vent hood and a microwave drawer. New CD fridge coming soon. Also the lighting in the pics is off, but you get the idea.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• teppy
    14 years ago

repainting
    i would take an antique any day over something new-but thats just me. i believe that the round table would give you the look that your after. As far as the chairs, do look into getting someone to re-do the rush seats. From the photos though of the ones that they show, they don't look bad. I don't know that is a hard call from looking at photos. I just want to remind you though in case you don't know, round tables take alot of space. That was my experience anyway. i have a gorgeous round antique table that i used for years in my space and have just replaced it with the french antique table that i have now after my kitchen reno(no, my kitchen does not look like this shown in the photo beneath now). it fits much better. i believe that if you have a space such as a bay window area that a round table work great. here is the one that i have in my attic now. we will hold on to it. i still have the chairs that i used that i don't want. i will try to give them away because i am tired of storing them.
    {{!gwi}}

• redroze
    14 years ago

Here's ours. I love having the round table, it creates an intimacy that a rectangular table doesn't, as you have a view of everyone around you.

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Mimi, that table is stunning! You did a great job and used such creativity to achieve the look you want. Your chairs are really beautiful, too.

Love it!

Eliz

• carol_jk
    14 years ago

Crazyhouse6, Would you mind sharing where you got your table and chairs?

• scootermom
    14 years ago

mimi72, I love your table! Those legs are almost the exact same as the legs on my kitchen table -- which is my in-laws' laminate-topped table from 1958 (I love that table!). Looks great w/ your choices.

Crazyhouse6, I love your table, too. How is the finish w/ kids? My family does not always wipe up spills right away, so I worry about wood.

The glass tops are a great idea -- I'd get one for our dining room table except it has 3 leaves and I am constantly changing the size. But I'd consider it for the future. Does anyone ever have a problem w/ spills getting between the glass and the wood? In my world...that's quite possible.

• crazyhouse6
    14 years ago

Carol - The table is from CostPlus World Market. The table and bench is from the Sourav set and the chairs are from the Verona set. Thus far (only 4 months of wear & tear) the finish has held up well. It's a very distressed style, which I love, but sometimes it takes some effort to get some of the spills out of the grooves.
    http://www.worldmarket.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3499144

• cgw1
    14 years ago

What wonderful tables. I am just doing a kitchen "refresh" and was looking for ideas for a table. When I saw Prill's, I knew what to do. I have a very similar table that just last year, after life as a computer table, was relegated to the basement for a storage unit. Tomorrow it's downstairs to measure and decide if I can give it another life. Thank you Prill!!!

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

60" round from Ashley's
    Monica

Here you can see the base

• marciag
    14 years ago

Glass topped table and 4 parsons chairs. Very family friendly and easy-care.

• jeri
    14 years ago

Kidshop  I really like your table. Will you answer a few questions for me? Can you seat 8 comfortably when it is a 46" square? Also  when it is a 65" circle, do you have enough space for everyone in your room? How big is your room?

Thanks!

Jeri

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Kidshop, I love your table. Do you know who the manufacturer is? I don't know where/what Haverty's is (I'm assuming it's a furniture store)

• kidshop
    14 years ago

No, the table will not seat 8 as a square, but that is in part b/c the chairs are so large there would be no room on the ends. I do have 6 chairs around it and we eat with 6 people often-it's tight but doable (it helps when 3 are kids). Smaller chairs may work better. Now you can open all the leaves separate for varying options, we use the oval option frequently as well (opposite leaves open). When I open the table to the full circle, I have to pull it out away from the window a bit to have room to walk around. We can't get out the door easily either that way, so if people are going in and out I open the door all the way back first and we just use the storm door. the nook is about 8' x 11'. It does work really well for us, I had christmas last year and we had plenty of room to move and get up and room for big platters on the table. If I had a bay window it would be perfect!

• andrea345
    14 years ago

We didn't have the space others have, but still wanted to be able to sit down at the kitchen.

But here's our little table for two:
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen Album

Here is a link that might be useful: And from our designer's website

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

Here's mine. It's a Canadel. You have many choices of finishes and base styles.

• lurkerlisa
    14 years ago

MarciagI like your table but LOVE your cabs and counters. Please tell me more about them!
    Thanks

• marciag
    14 years ago

lurkerlisa,
    Thanks! The counter is black pearl granite with an eased edge...love it! The cabinets are Cardell Nantucket style, maple, in mocha, no glaze. I especially like the drawer style. I don't know if you can see it, but the drawers have a little decorative edge on either side which matches the stiles on the cabinet doors. they have a nice matte finish which wipes up very easily. I have soft close doors and full extension soft-close drawers too. Since that picture, the crown molding and other little enhancements are up and it looks great. I am very happy with both the cabinets and the countertops.

• stei7141
    14 years ago

mimi72: I hope you see this. I love your table! Could you tell me where you ordered the legs? Thank you.

• raehelen
    14 years ago

Am almost too embarrassed to post this pic of our old kitchen table, but it proves a point.

I bought it at an estate sale for $50, and refinished it myself. It was covered with so many years of gunk that I didn't even know there was carving on the legs till I stripped it!

When I took the original brass casters off, they were dated 1876- neat eh? It can be lengthened to a honking 12 feet long- and we used a 'temporary' plywood stained leaf for the whole 20 years it was in daily use by the family.

But, I ran a family daycare, and many many projects were done on this table. As you can see I have it covered with my seed collecting paraphanalia!

My point is, for your young family, I would definitely recommend looking on craigslist/auctions/estate sales to find something well made and sturdy than can take a family's wear and tear. My old oak table is in my craft room now, but I expect one of the kids will use it when they finally have a permanent place to live.

• wws944
    14 years ago

Mid-century modern theme here too. This is our 48" round Burke table and tulip chairs. My parents bought this set new in 1970.

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

Here's ours. Natural cherry shaker style.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

rhome410, I love your table! Is the table top 4x8 or did you cut the plywood down?

• pps7
    12 years ago

Table is 39" x 8' and made from salvage teak. The chairs are from pottery barn.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource