Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c9pilot

Backsplash finally done (after 5 years....)

c9pilot
10 years ago

So it took us a few years to decide what we wanted....
This is a canal-front home in Florida. Kitchen is all stark - black slate-look tile counters, cherry shaker cabs, stainless steel, so I wanted something with color!

Custom, hand-painted (read: $$$ and two-month lead time) glazed 3-D ceramic tiles from Medicine Bluff Studio, Sea Culture series.
Polished marble random strip tiles from Oracle Tile & Stone (amazon.com) - also on eBay, excellent customer service.

This post was edited by c9pilot on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 14:54

Comments (22)

• localeater
    10 years ago

I love your baby turtles. I would want to touch them constantly. The turquoise adds just the right splash of color. More pictures, please.

• dex215
    10 years ago

Love your backsplash, especially with that beautiful splash of color. Worth every penny!

• Megan Meyers
    10 years ago

So unique. Love it!

• scootermom
    10 years ago

Ohhhh! I love your baby sea turtles. That's really gorgeous.

• CAGiselle
    10 years ago

Its fabulous!

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

That's one of the most interesting back splashes I've ever seen. I love your turtles!

I think you'll enjoy that for many years. Great job!

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Wonderful and charming!

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Super cool!
    It'd also look great in a bathroom.

• akl_vdb
    10 years ago

The turtles would make me smile every time I looked at them. Love the blue too!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Welcome to the ABB alumni club with the stunning baby turtles. Great for your beach house!

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

Hey fellow Floridian....love your unique and special choice. Well worth the wait!!

• Ivan I
    10 years ago

Adorable!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I absolutely love the turtles! I've always really liked turtles, but fell in love with them when I had the amazing opportunity to snorkel with some sea turtles earlier this year. What a lovely tribute to your region!

• cathy725
    10 years ago

Love the turtles. I wish I had turtles. Beautiful!

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate all the compliments! I know it's unusual and for most people, one of those things that you might be able to admire, but not for yourself (like me and granite countertops).

@localeater - you are so funny because I do touch the turtles all the time!

I figured it would be something interesting to look at while doing the dishes (this is our clean-up zone) and a pop of color in an otherwise blah color scheme.
    The honu (Hawaiian petroglyph turtle) has sort of been our family mascot, and we have three red-foot tortoises running around our backyard, so these tiles fit us.

As requested, more pictures (let's see if I can figure out how to post more than one.)

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Very clever! I'm one of those who couldn't live without a window over my sink. But your splash of fresh air brings the outdoors in :)

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ctycdm - if you turn around from facing the turtles, the other side of the kitchen is a counter-height 16' long "island" which faces out over the great room to the two double slider glass doors and out over the salt-water canal. Our "outside view" is looking out over the prep sink, prep area, range and serve-out area.

• taggie
    10 years ago

WOW!! That is soooooooo pretty! Do you have any pics of your full kitchen, or a reveal thread? I'd love to see your backsplash from a further distance too.

Congrats, it is beautiful!

• flwrs_n_co
    10 years ago

Love, love, love your backsplash! The details and colors are fantastic! I've always loved turtles (had a pet turtle when I was little) and have snorkeled with the sea turtles in Hawaii several times. Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come.

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing. I loved looking at their website. Beautiful, beautiful tile mural on the perfect backsplash.

I do hope you will post pics of your entire kitchen!

• doonie
    10 years ago

I love your mural! Really gorgeous colors and a beautiful work of art.

Thanks for sharing your unique backsplash!

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Full kitchen is almost ready for pictures...still grouting the "island" and the wall behind it needs texturing, painting, baseboards...upper cabinets need glass (haven't decided on that either, but will probably go with bamboo to match the front door).
    Plus the whole house looks like a bomb went off since we've had to make room in the garage for the next big project, which we picked up from the factory on Friday, a Velocity XL RG kit plane. So it has been interesting following the mishap at SFO as we're inventorying 21 pages of aircraft parts. (The foam cores are stacked in the office)
    But I'll include the furthest picture back that I have at this time!