Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honed AB Granite Countertops - regrets!?

Posted by MichKerk (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 14:53

To those of you who have had honed absolute black granite installed for some time, do you have any regrets? I have read just about every post but was looking for some feedback from those of you who have had your counters for awhile. Do you have issues with fingerprints and staining? Did you seal or enhance them? I actually just cancelled my templating appointment due to last minute reservations!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honed AB Granite Countertops - regrets!?

I had honed AB in my old house, and I miss it. I now have black galaxy polished, and hate it. I did not seal the honed AB, so I had to apply mineral oil to it every once in a while to keep it looking dark. The mineral oil evaporates, and it starts lightening up. It also gets rings, which disappear with mineral oil, but if you are fastidious, you won't like honed AB, unless you seal it. I don't like the toxic sealing material, so I chose to use food safe mineral oil. Really loved it. Lots of people thought it was soapstone, which is what I really wanted, but was worried about durability. My kids could not destroy the honed ab. The only problem is you have to watch dragging pots across it, or any kind of metal, which will "scratch" it. I'm not sure what happens exactly, but it seems to me that particles of the metal get embedded in the granite and are impossible to remove. Someone more informed can explain this. In my new kitchen I'm getting wood countertops, but I may get honed AB around the sink if my budget can stretch a bit.

o
RE: Honed AB Granite Countertops - regrets!?

baltomom - thank you so much for your feedback. By any chance do you remember the name of the mineral oil you used? My husband and I are not super neat in the kitchen so there will be definitely be spills. What was your experience like with fingerprints?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here