Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen cabinetry questions and working with a KD

Posted by jasmith (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 14:51

Hi there - I have a few questions I'm hoping a few of you may have some opinions and thoughts on.

I'm about to remodel my kitchen in our new house. The home was built in 1905 and has some beautiful orignal details, like large windows in the kitchen and a walk-in pantry.

There is not much to gut as the previous owners never installed counter tops or cabinets! (they used built-ins and the pantry for storage.) The kitchen space is big (for a city) 12 x 15 - but also challenging as there is very little wall space due to many windows and doors.

I found a GC who I want to work with on the project who also can design. But he actually recommended that I work with a kitchen designer since the layout issues are so challenging. I've now met with three of them. Only one has asked me questions like "how do you use your kitchen when you are entertaining? Do you bake a lot? How many and what size pots and pans do you have?" Since she has been designing kitchens since 1995 and took the time to find out about how I actually USE a kitchen - I'm inclined to work with her. But here's my question: She has a $3500 "Design fee" 50% of which can be used to go toward kitchen cabinets purchased with her. I'm getting the sense that this is pretty standard - but I have no idea if I'm signing up for really expensive cabinetry. She said that they are totally custom, Amish made and price range is comparable to the Wood-Mode Semi Custom cabinetry.

Does anyone have any idea how much those cost? Keep in mind I'll likely have no uppers, only cabinets in the island and base cabinets against one wall.

I didn't really want to spend a ton on cabinets - it's just not as important to me as investing in a range...but seems there's not really away around it unless I went DIY. And I think I need someone who can lay out the space thoughtfully considering the challenges.

As a side note - wondering if anyone has any recent (last two years) experience with thermador ranges. Got tempted by the Pro-harmony 48" steam range, but not sure I can pull the trigger on that price point.

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen cabinetry questions and working with a KD

I would clarify with her if the $1750 only goes toward custom cabs, or maybe a semi custom line that she deals with. Many on here though will say that custom can be as reasonable as cabinet lines.

It sounds like you would be paying her $1750 for her help throughout the process and coming up with a final design. I think it will be $ well spent because there are so many thing that go into It that you wont even know existed. Just be sure you fully understand how her fees work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here