Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cplover

Show me the light above your main sink, please

cplover
12 years ago

So my GC called me and told me that they put a can light approx 2 ft from the upper cabinets in front of the main sink. However, the electrician thought that we wanted a light directly above the sink. If do that and do not have a soffit or box built connecting the upper cabinets on either side of the sink (sink is in front of a window), the GC thought it would look really weird to have a can and a fixture right in line with each other. I agree, but am not sure what to do. If we opt for no light over the sink then we will have an extra switch that does nothing. Thoughts? I know photos would help, but unfortunately I am at work.

Comments (47)

• natal
    12 years ago

You need a light over your sink. If all you have is a can 2 feet from the wall you're going to be in it's shadow when you're at the sink. I would eliminate that can and put one directly above the sink.

• ginny20
    12 years ago

I'm putting a pendant over the sink (trite, I know) but you could also do a flush, semi flush, or recessed light there. But I completely agree, it should be over the sink, not over the edge of the counter to avoid shadows.

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

Having really good light over the sink in my 9' tall was a high priority for me, so a pendant was the answer, even though I may have ended up with too many things suspended from the ceiling. I have cans around the periphery of the kitchen, but they won't do for task lighting.

• natal
    12 years ago

Honor, I find a can to be more than adequate at the sink.

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

Natal, I think the need for light must be idiosyncratic. My eyesight is not getting better with age, and my cutting board shares whatever lights my sink.

A can in a 10' ceiling is not sufficient for me. I may have overcompensated with so large a pendant from a 9' ceiling, but I can always reduce the wattage if it turns out too bright.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

If it's too late to remove the "can", consider two small pendant-type lights over the sink. That will give the direct light you need but the lights won't be "lined up".

Honorbiltkit is right...I've found that as I age, my need for better and better lighting is necessary. It's an age-related thing. You probably won't notice it until you hit your mid-forties or so...but the time will come! If you plan to be in your home as you age, I recommend at least "roughing in" task lighting.

BTW...this is probably why there's disagreement on the need for under-cabinet task lighting around here as well. Usually it's those of us who have hit that time that say it's necessary; young people often say it's not.

• natal
    12 years ago

Holes can be patched, so don't live with something that's going to drive you nuts.

I agree about the need for adequate lighting ... especially as we age. I use my under cabinet lights more than any other lighting in the kitchen. They're on all day. The cans are rarely turned on, except for the one above the sink. It's on a separate switch.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I have a pair of 4" cans above the main sink and prep sink. Pair is very important as they help cancel out each others shadows. A single light above the sink and your hands/head/faucet make a shadow.

• natal
    12 years ago

A single light above the sink and your hands/head/faucet make a shadow.

Not in my kitchen. The 6" can is directly above the faucet. Your problem may be the high ceilings. I have 8'. I'm guessing that makes a big difference.

• starkster
    12 years ago

Our ceiling above the sink is 11 feet. We have a 6 inch eyeball light over the sink and it is more than sufficient. If you did that and decided later you need something else - i.e., pendant, the electric is there and it could be changed out. Your main problem would be finding an escheucon (sp) plate to fit.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

If you can invent a shadowless light, you ought to patent it.
    Casey

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I talked to the GC more and he said I have 3 options:
    1) Move the can that is near the sink to be directly above the sink
    2) Eliminate the can that is near the sink and add some sort of fixture above the sink (pendant, flush mount etc) OR
    3) build a "valance" that connects the two cabinets on either side of the sink so that I can hide a light in the box so that it is not really visible.

We had something similar to option 3 in my old kitchen but it was with a fluorescent tube light. Do people really do option 3 or is it outdated? I ask because my only experience with it is my old 1957s kitchen.

The benefit of #3 would be that the light above the sink could be on a separate switch and we do not have mess with the ceiling to move the can. If anyone has photos of a valance please show me. I work so much better with photos.

• cosanostra
    12 years ago

I'm new here but thought I'd chime in.

Our current kitchen has the valance above the sink 'helping' to conceal the light. It's the wonderful fluorescent tube kind and does a great job of lighting the sink, but isn't terribly attractive. Plus I find the light kind of harsh. Also, the light was retrofitted after the valance (I believe) as the valance has a decorative hole in the center which allows you to see the 'wonderful' fixture. Needless to say Mrs. Johnny Dollar has indicated the valance is going and the fixture is changing when the kitchen is remodeled. I'll try and post a pic or two later on.

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I figured out how to get a photo off of my camera and into GW. Here is a photo of the window in question.

From the photo you cannot see the sink but trust me it is centered under the window. The cardboard is protecting my soapstone. The can light is centered in front of the window (this photo was taken at an angle). Does this give anyone any other ideas?

• willtv
    12 years ago

Here's a mid-construction shot of ours.

The kitchen has since been completed.
    We have 7 1/2' cielings. The light is a 3" low voltage halogen MR16 can directly over the sink. (It's the one in the middle) It works fine for us.
    In your case I'd either move the existing recessed light over the sink or simply add a pendant style light. I don't think that adding the pendant will look odd.

• celineike
    12 years ago

I put in a single small recessed halogen but i wish i had out in a small ceiling mount drop light, like a small school house light.
    The halogen is the perfect amount of light, the drop light would have been more for aesthetics.

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm.. I found this from RH. Would this work? It is 9" in diam and 10" high

Or do you think I should still move that can?

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

If you're looking at RH lighting you might consider visiting Schoolhouse Electric as well. They have LOTS more options for finishes and shades and they have superior customer service. I don't work for them! We just ordered SEVERAL fixtures from them for our kitchen and three porches and they all arrived promptly, well packed and EXACTLY as shown. They address concerns efficiently and they have a HUGE selection of finishes, shades and bases that you can mix and match to your heart's desire.

Rene

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I just found this one on ebay! (Please do not steal it!) for 1/2 the price it was originally listed on RH since it was no longer available through RH.

Overall I am having the most problems with lighting. I have not picked out a light for over my peninsula or for over my non-existant (still need to purchase) dining table. So frustrating. I have had fun picking out most other things, but lighting really throws me for a loop!

• natal
    12 years ago

I'd still move the can and put it directly above the sink. Forget the valance with hidden fluorescent. That's very dated. Had it in my old kitchen too.

You have a beautiful view outside your window. I wouldn't want a pendant blocking it. My concern with the schoolhouse light you posted is would it provide adequate light?

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Natal- DH hates the idea of a pendant because he does not want to block the view from the window. He is leaning towards the wood valance with the "hidden" light. I on the other hand have seen some really nice wood valances on GW--but just do not think it will work in my space and will look dated. As for getting enough light-- the kitchen faces east so it really bright in the room w/o any lights. Not sure how much light is really needed.

• natal
    12 years ago

Natural light is great until the sun goes down. ;)

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

I really like these from Hubbardton Forge, pricy as they are. I am drawn to them because you get the drop down effect without any view blockage for DH. We have 8' ceilings.

Here is a link that might be useful: beautiful semi-flush ceiling

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

clueless- we have 8ft ceilings as well. I found the price of $236 to be not that terrible. I am just wondering if it would give off enough light?

natal- I know! But it is difficult to tell how much light I will need when it is dark since most of my cans are not installed yet.

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

I saw a similar pendant at a lighting store, but it's just so hard to tell in a store with a plethora of other light sources! They really glow, but as far as direct light??? They have 100W bulbs. We'll have 2 lights over one space that's a whopping 71" with an undercounter light and hood lights on either end. There's a 100W fixture centered in the room.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Interesting thread since we are also in the process of picking a semi-flush or pendant fixture to go over our sink. We've ordered a number of fixtures from School House Electric, Rejuvenation, and Restoration Hardware for our ongoing kitchen, bath, porch, etc. renovation. We have been super impressed with the quality of School House Electric and Rejuvenation (both made in USA). They are beautifully made and so solid. Unfortunately we have not been so impressed with the quality of the made in China Restoration Hardware fixtures. Of course in some ways the company is brilliant at knocking off much more expensive lighting fixtures. I guess you get what you pay for with RH. Just my two cents.

• Dean_I
    12 years ago

Lighting above our kitchen sink. 3 Pendants and 3 halogens for a bit of extra light.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

I would move the can.

I'd make them patch the hole and move it back above the sink.

It looks like it's in the wrong spot where it is.

• marcydc
    12 years ago

I like that RH light you found on ebay. I don't think being 10" it looks like it would block any part of your view. Certainly more interesting than the can!

• meggswife
    12 years ago

We had a valance in our old kitchen and it worked well to hide the light, plus it connected the cabinets which we felt was necessary with the lower window. I think a valance *can* look dated, but doesn't have too. This picture isn't the best - I took it the day we moved out, but it will give you an idea.

• jgs7691
    12 years ago

Hi newbie --

I agree that the can should be moved, and you should get a fixture for above the sink. I have definitely hit that age where dedicated task lighting is essential, and if you're not there yet, you will be eventually.

We spaced our can lights along the cabinet run where the sink is, and will have an 8" minipendant (Murray Feiss P1144)above the sink. Here's the pic so far (with cans, without fixture installed)
    {{!gwi}}

To keep your DH happy, I would point you to a semi-flush light from Pottery Barn that we had been considering (which I came across in the bath lighting section of the PB website, but which would work perfectly well in a kitchen.) The wall area about your sink would be about the same size as the fixture, so it wouldn't block the view. (p.s. it comes in many finishes) Win win?

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: PB lighting Covington Semi-Flush

• Buehl
    12 years ago

We have natural light (daytime), two pendants, and three cans over our sink. We use the pendants the most, the cans not as often.

The pendants & cans are b/w the wall and the person working at the sink, so they don't cast shadows on the sink.

BTW...the pendants don't really block the view, they're too small, relative to the view/window size.

• natal
    12 years ago

Buehl, if the pendants did block the view (or you ever get tired of them) you have the perfect setup for a couple cans in that little alcove.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

The world of pendant lights is so rich that there is tremendous adventure available to you if adding one or two to your kitchen sink area.

I am biased against recessed lights, esp here. The pendants over a sink add an architectural detail that brings the ceiling and the ceiling height into the room design. Pendants or semi-flush fixtures over a sink also bring some drama into an otherwise mundane area of activity--dishwashing. And when it's dark outside, they comfort and invite. In our case, the sink area is seen from the street so the pendant is actually part of the exterior decor. We planned for 3 bell-like pendants in the three sink-side windows from the get-go in our design and the strategy has worked well. We put in top-down, bottom-up honeycomb shades in and the bells hang above the shades when at half-mast--a look that is very good from street.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Florantha: I am intrigued by your description of your shades, but cannot picture it. Do you have a picture of this arrangement (yours or a stock photo) that you could share with us? TIA!

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jgs- I love your pendant! That will look very nice. Your window cabinet run looks a lot like mine. I noticed that you have not opted for a valance. Any particular reason?

Buehl- Your pendants are very lovely and I love that you have a bowed window in your kitchen. We looked into that but it was going to be cost prohibitive--we were on a budget.

Florantha- I too would love to see a photo of what you described.

My question regarding pendants is that I will have 1 or possible 2 over my peninsula... so will that look weird? Should they be the same or different?

• leela4
    12 years ago

Hi-I don't know if this helps, but we have a pendant over the sink, 3 pendants over the island and 2 over the bar. They are all the same, but the light in the dining room above the table is different. Our pendant over the sink we hung higher than the other pendants.
    HTH:

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Leela4- That does help a lot! Thank you. I love photos! :) I must say your soapstone is beautiful! I have soapstone too (but it is hiding underneath the cardboard to protect it from the GC and crew). Is the pendant over the sink enough light?

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ugh.. So DH just talked to electrician (E) and E thought that the plan the entire time was to move the can and put a smaller can on a separate switch above the sink. Not sure why I do not remember making this decision-- but I must have. So my thought was to just change the smaller can to a pendant/fixture of some sort. DH does not want to since E already purchased the smaller can. Also to put in a fixture it would involve putting in a box/adding 2x4s or something like that. Now DH does not want to change it to a fixture since E already purchased the smaller can. DH says we can change it down the road if we want to. Arghhh.. :(

Thanks for all of your help!!

• natal
    12 years ago

Newbie, apparently it's fairly easy to convert a can to pendant, so don't despair. If the can is too small it may not provide adequate light and then you'll have the perfect argument for making the switch. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: converting recessed can to pendant

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Natal! You have no idea how much time I have spent looking at different fixtures. I understand DH's point but ughh.. I am at the frustrating stage of the remodel where I JUST WANT IT DONE! At least searching for fixtures occupied my time a little.

• kpasso
    12 years ago

sombreuil_mongrel - where is your fan from?

• Buehl
    12 years ago

"...to put in a fixture it would involve putting in a box/adding 2x4s or something...

...we can change it down the road if we want to..."

Won't it be at least as difficult, if not more, to do it later?

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Buehl- I know what you says makes a lot of sense the only thing is that DH is on the fritz. We already paid for the smaller can above the sink and does not want to shell out more money (and possibly delay the project even more) by changing this when we are not whether we will like the can or not.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Newbie- I have one can light over my sink. I can't use it yet, so I can't say if it works well or not. It looks great from a design standpoint.

• cosanostra
    12 years ago

Here's a photo of the valance over our sink. The photo's not great, but you can see they connected the two cabinets with the valance and sort of cover the fluorescent light.

From Garden Web