Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inset cabinets - adjustments needed??

Posted by julie1973 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 14:43

Hi. I just got back from a KD that carries shiloh. I am interested in the inset. The KD was telling me all the "issues" with inset - but the one that stuck out that I hadn't heard before was that the hinges/drawer hardware would need to be adjusted periodically - maybe once per year. He said it was because they get knocked out of alignment if someone pulls too hard or something. Has anyone experienced this with shiloh's or other inset cabs? He also mentioned swelling, etc, with temperature/humidity changes, which doesn't concern be much since we turn the AC on once the weather warms up and then keep it on at a consistent temperature until cool weather. He also seemed to be steering me away from the shiloh and toward the more expensive Plato - but I am definitely on budget that I don't think would allow Plato. Is Plato THAT much nicer than shiloh - for painted white shaker style inset cabs? In any event, I am waiting on his estimate for the shiloh inset. Thanks for any input!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inset cabinets - adjustments needed??

All the cup style hinges need periodic adjustment; some more than others depending on use. Overlay or insert makes no difference.

o

If they are hidden hinges, an adjustment will consist of a partial turn with a screw, if you care about consistent spacing of the gap between the door and the frame. For me, it happened on one or two cabinets, and 30 seconds later I was done.

o

Thanks for the responses. So it doesn't sound like a big deal at all. I guess the difference is that the amount of movement is not noticeable with an overlay cabinet but with inset, the spacing may seem off....

o

Same old crap.
Do a search on this topic and you'll see it's a common "warning" when a KD doesn't know ... crap ... about inset cabinets.

o

"warning" when a KD doesn't know ... crap ... about inset cabinets."

I have to disagree with you, I am not a KD but have been involved in numerous renovations using very "high end" cabinetry....everything from Crown Point to Christopher Peacock, Mark Wilkinson etc....without question inset cabinets are more sensitive compared to standard frameless cabinetry and the designers from all the above mentioned will be the first to tell you

And I totally agree that the KD should mention the concerns he/she has...why wouldn't they, if there is a problem later the customer would be the first to say "you never told me".

Kind of like when someone orders painted doors and as the seasons change you see the joints in the doors...if the KD doesn't say anything upfront who is at fault?

Or if a client insists on having solid wood center panels in the doors because solid is "better quality"....yeah sure, again until the seasons change and every glue line is visable

KD must share their knowledge and educate the client, if not there will just be a bunch of finger pointing and people posting on here saying they were never told this could happen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here