Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with Kitchen Lay-out

Posted by StephBolt (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 14:34

I'm new to this site and I hope I'm doing this right, but I'm looking for help with my kitchen lay-out. I have attached the kitchen portion of my preliminary main level floor plan. The great room is to the left, the mudroom is through the door to the right and the dining room is through the walk-through bar/pantry area.
What I'm wondering is:
a) Would you leave the fridge and double ovens side-by-side or would you move one or the other to the wall of cabinets where there are currently no appliances? AND
b) If you leave the fridge and ovens side-by-side, would you do pantry-style tall cabinets on the wall without any appliances or would you do uppers and lowers (ie. will I regret not having more counter space)?
Please feel free to offer any advice/criticism. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with Kitchen Lay-out

When you pull something out of the oven, where will you set it?
I always like to have some counter space next to my ovens to set stuff down.
When your oven door is open, it will block traffic. If anyone is trying to get a drink, it will block traffic.

It doesn't seem like an effective layout to me.

o

Your zones are all jumbled up, and you have enough room that they don't have to be. I'd put both fridge and ovens on bottom wall with a pantry for a "wall of tall," cleanup Sink & DW at bottom of right wall - DW NOT between sink and Range - and have a prep sink in the island. Put MW in an upper cabinet on either side of the cleanup sink, or put a drawer version or even a standard version in the island facing the fridge.

Actually, I might recommend swapping the range and sink/dw. It all depends on the layout of the rest of the house. Do you have a whole-house layout?

o

Where do you plan to actually eat? (the dining nook, or the dining room)?

o

Here's another option to consider.

photo StephBoltA.jpg

I made the assumption that you'll ea*t your meals primarily in the BK and not the DR. That's why I put the fridge closest to the table, making is eas*y to grab items for the table without crossing into the cook zone. to grab items for the table without crossing into the cook zone.

I couldn't tell what purpose the cabs at the bottom of the kitchen were to serve so I gave it a suggested purpose.

How wide is that span of cabs? I'm guessing it's about 75", which is just enough room to put the fridge (gen'l 39" to 40" for fridge and fridge cab) and ovens (30" to 33" for oven cab) next to each other.

This post was edited by lisa_a on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 18:09

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here