Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
circuspeanutgw

I did it! DIY copper countertops

Circus Peanut
15 years ago

Background: this is my first house, and I am doing an extreme DIY kitchen using recycled cabinetry and refurbishing many already existing aspects of the 1920s bungalow kitchen.

I've never been a granite fan and wanted something warmer that would fit in just right with the well-used, modest coastal bungalow style of my place. So ... I made my own copper countertops! For a price just under $21/sf, this was even more reasonable than plastic or butcher block, and vastly more durable. It's green, it's recyclable, and has the right historical feel to it for the house.

We used mdf as a substrate and basically "laminated" heavy-gauge copper onto it. This took many steps (I detailed the process in the metalworking forum), but I think the results are really stunning and wanted to share some pics for anyone else interested in exploring copper. Well, OK, I did need to brag, just a little. ;-)

Not quite all done yet, but hopefully enough to post a teaser. They look a little rough in the pix; I will be cleaning and buffing the copper smooth again when I've mounted the sinks.

On the advice of other copper countertop owners (ahem! you know who you are), I plan on simply waxing them and letting them patinate to their little hearts' content.

Then .. on to tiling the backsplash and refinishing the fir floors. *whew!*

Comments (100)

• lyno
    15 years ago

Wow! Circuspeanut, you did a fantastic job and the copper is so gorgeous! A couple years ago at a home show I saw a copper counter on a buffet cabinet and I fell in love with copper; they had allowed it to patina, it was beautiful. I recently heard it is naturally antibacterial, too. I'm building a case for copper in attempts to get my DH on the same wavelenght. Maybe if I show DH your pic's I can get him interested. Maybe we can at least do the powder room in copper.

Again, fantastic gorgeous job!

Oh, I had done a search on your name after seeing your comments in the "how to save a buck" thread. I was hoping to see your kitchen if it is to that point yet.

• danielle00
    15 years ago

awesome work! congratulations!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I don't know how I missed this the first time...but I love those counters! Wonderful job!

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Circus,
    Don't know if this interests you, but I use Matfer-Bourgeat Bistro Pate a Cuivre to polish my copper cookware. It takes no elbow grease, which is why I like it. I don't polish after every use, but my pots hang in open air, so they do tarnish quickly. Anyway, I don't recommend this as a daily thing because it's expensive and not food safe, of course, but if you need to remove verdigris every now and then and don't want harsh abrasives or to use lots of elbow grease, this stuff works. The copper needs to be rinsed off with soap and water and dried after application of the polish.

• napagirl
    15 years ago

Great countertops ... would love to see more pics!

• budgeteer_s
    15 years ago

Just laid eyes on your BEEAUTIFUUULL copper counter when this thread came back up. I was not a member yet when yu DIY'd it. Now I'm interested to follow the progress of your kitchen remodel. Saw video of your potato/onion drawers (next to fridge) in another thread and saw how talented you are! Just look at the copper corners and that sink, WOW. You know, there is something so sexy about a woman with a tool belt strapped on to her hips!!!

• Circus Peanut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha! OK, that does it -- calling me sexy is the best way to get more pictures. :-)~

Seriously: thank you, everyone, for your lovely support and good feedback.

Here are some shots taken this morning, 5.5 months after initial installation.

It has taken me a while to adapt to the rhythm of the copper -- it does mark up/blotch/discolor very easily and then you have the choice of either scrubbing it raw again or leaving the marks as patina. Of course I'm a patina kind of gal, and love how used/functional the counters look - hopefully the following photos can help others decide how much natural discoloration they are willing to tolerate in their own setting.

Close-up:
    {{!gwi}}

It does bang and dent, but not easily. Ignore the unpainted breakfast room to the left, I'm having the devil of a time matching yellows:
    {{!gwi}}

The discoloration is particularly strong where water hits the metal or sits, as around the faucets and sink rims. It's not ugly, just takes getting used to as the entirety of the counter slowly ages to catch up:
    {{!gwi}}

More sink. Disregard the World's Cheapest & Ugliest⢠Vinyl Replacement Windows; they're not my fault and I keep hoping they will just slink away in shame some night:
    {{!gwi}}

The corners have held very tight; they feel solid as iron and I doubt there will be any trouble there:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• salmon_slayer
    15 years ago

Beautiful craftsmanship, did you make the cabinets as well?

• Circus Peanut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi salmon,

I recycled cherry cabinets I got for a steal at Habitat for Humanity -- a local magnate remodelled and donated their old ones. They're from 1993, custom from Heritage, a PA manufacturer that has since gone under. But you'd really never know that they are as old as they are, they're in excellent condition. The knobs are not original to the cabs, they're vintage copper that I scored on eBay, 27 of 'em for $5.

We made new cherry end panels (designed to match my bungalow doors) and some drawers/shelves/fridge box from cherry and birch ply -- my one issue was how difficult it was to exactly match the toner the commercial folks used in their catalyzed varnish. If you look closely at the pictures above, you can see that I hit the color bang-on in some cases and not quite so in others.
    In all honesty, though, I think the home-grown end panels and drawers with stain and satin varnish look better than the commercial finish; lots more depth. Some day I would love to make my own cabinets...

Have you made cabinets? We have a few incredibly talented members on here with very impressive kitchen carpentry work.

Speaking of tools (other thread), my carpenter friend took payment in the form of a new Festool Domino joiner which we both really enjoyed playing with. :-)

• russellrobertson
    15 years ago

Circuspeanut,
    Let me start by saying thank you for the inspiration that led to my installing my own copper countertops. You and Aliceinwonderland on another thread have put together a wonderful resource on this topic. I followed your step by step directions, and could not be happier.

Looking at your finished pictures, I noticed you made a pot rack out of some of the left over copper bar. I have been considering doing the same thing with my left over bar stock. May I ask where you found the hooks/hardware for your pot rack? So far, I have had very little success trying to find similar material.

Again, thanks for showing the way with copper counters. I would do them again in an instance.
    Russell

• PoorOwner
    15 years ago

circuspeanut, how deep is your sink? Do you find it too low sitting under a full 1.5" counter top?

• Circus Peanut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Russell -- thank you so much! Imitation is the best form of flattery, etc etc. :) Seriously, it's great to see others benefitting from my experiment - and I in turn owe everything to aliceinwonderland. But you can't tease like that without providing some PICTURES of your glowing new tops! Please please please.

The potrack hooks are Rogar 5" copper plated bar hooks. I ordered 8 and wish I had a few more -- I can recommend the closed design, since they never come off no matter what direction you twist your pots. The eye screws are stainless (for strength) from the hardware store, and the connector hooks are additional open-hook copper potrack hooks. I just hacked off a piece of the bar, sanded the edges down a bit, drilled two holes, and went to town.

Poorowner -- the sink is a Whitehaus fireclay and it's 8" deep. At 5'7" I find that perfect with the undermount, wouldn't want a deeper one as a main sink. The round prep sink is a vintage find, probably from a hospital (?), and is slightly deeper, which works because it's placed where I don't want a lot of splashes.

• russellrobertson
    15 years ago

Circuspeanut
    Thanks for the link to Rogar. I will certainly try them if I decide to make a pot rack. I can't decide whether to make a pot rack or an accent table for a sun room with my left over copper.

I will try to get some pictures up in the next couple of days. I am in the middle of repairing plaster and painting a living room, so hence the rest of the house is a disaster. I am not even sure I can see my counters at the moment.

Russell

• ma-bookreader
    15 years ago

Absolutely stunning!!!

• Circus Peanut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Selfishly bumping just so as not to lose this thread off the forum (I link to it occasionally). :)

• megsy
    13 years ago

Holy mackerel circuspeanut!! I'm in love. It makes me want to cover my butcherblock countertops (which I LOVE) with copper. Amazing job!

• Circus Peanut
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Megsy, I appreciate it. We still love the counters and they just get better with the passage of time.

• Circus Peanut
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For the person who asked me how they look now, I can't reply to your email because of your GW email settings (you need to check the 'allow email' box), but here's a photo from last week if it helps:

• clg7067
    13 years ago

That looks great!

• clg7067
    13 years ago

Hmm, I've been trying to decipher your maintenance routine. So, did you go with the beeswax in the end?

• Circus Peanut
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, clg.

Maintenance. Ha. When I'm good, I use beeswax and lots of elbow grease to rub it in and buff it. When I'm in a hurry (and my eco-neurotic guy isn't around), I use the Pledge in the brown can or OrangeGlo wood care spray. The drawback to both of the latter, of course, is that they aren't particularly food safe, and the water-resistance doesn't last nearly as long as the waxing. But they do give it a great rich gleam, esp the OrangeGlo.

I always wonder whether I should/could have used an industrial metal coating like Incra-Lac to maintain the fresh copper look... But it just seems crazy to use something so toxic in the kitchen (even if wooden cabinets regularly have equally bad stuff on them, like catalyzed lacquer finishes). I guess if I didn't obsess, even retroactively, I wouldn't be on this forum to begin with. ;-)

Are you considering copper counters?

• clg7067
    13 years ago

After seeing how yours look after time, I really like them. I have no real preference but am considering mahogany, ceaserstone, and now copper. I always prefer a DIY option. I still have a year to make my decision because I'm remodeling my kitchen in phases. That last phase is the most expensive. :)

• Circus Peanut
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, they just keep getting better over time. If you don't mind the drawbacks (they ding relatively easily and there is that bothersome green verdigris when you leave some liquids to sit for too long), the pros are very worth it.

DIY is truly the way to go. We did our kitchen in phases too, and paid as we went, using largely recycled and salvaged materials. (I still crow over my score of 27 vintage copper cabinet knobs for $5 on eBay.) It's so gratifying -- I support your plan wholeheartedly.

FYI as I recall, the copper cost me about $1200 total for c. 58 square feet. Not too shabby. And at that price, should they ever fail me, I won't be heartbroken to have to replace or renew them. We've easily enjoyed them enough to be worth it already.

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

First time seeing/reading about DIY copper counters.

I am never at a loss for words....Chatty Cathy, that's me.

But....

I'm in awe, total AWE at the beauty of these counter tops....no words, just in awe.
    *jaw hanging open*

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I'm just seeing this post for the first time and I'm also in awe of the counters and even more so at the fact that they were a DIY project. I LOVE the look of the patina, it's really beautiful.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Still looking as beautiful as ever!

• clg7067
    13 years ago

Just stopped to take a closer look at the cabinets. Also, very nice. :)

• stjamesb
    13 years ago

Just absolutely stunning, both the counter and the work went into it. So if I use copper for the counter that are not normally in contact with water, I should have easier time with cleaning and such? Our kitchen probably will be DIY totally. DH wants to make his own cabinets. Wait until he sees copper counter :)

• ajard
    13 years ago

I love it!!! what a great look.. so inviting and unique

• surface-encounters
    13 years ago

Surface Encounters, who has over 100 years of accumulated experience, utilizes state-of-the-art machinery, which combined with a price assurance guarantee ensures the highest quality finished product. Surface Encounters specializes in fabricating and installing granite and marble countertops. Surface Encounters is dedicated to making a difference in your world, one surface at a time.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.Surface-Encounters.com

• judyoso
    13 years ago

Here are photos of the copper countertop done with enchantment color copper against black cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.ColorCopper.com

• zenstella
    13 years ago

BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!!

• areilla10
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I'm brand new to the forum, but I've been thinking about finishing our countertops in either copper or zinc. I wondered if I would like the patination of copper as it aged and it's really nice to see a real countertop go from shiny-penny-new to "antique" in a realistic way. I'm 100% convinced to do one or the other. They're both gorgeous. Maybe the copper in the kitchen and zinc for the bar countertop, or in one of the bathrooms. They're just gorgeous!

• dyno
    13 years ago

I bow before you. Beautiful and best of all, unique.

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Wow!! This thread keep coming back..... like a GOOD penny!!

(Get it? Good penny? Copper?)

I crack myself up. :-)

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

Bump---this thread needs to be available to new DIY's

• Circus Peanut
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, I think this thread is too old to be "bumped" any longer, but it's linked via my clippings page if anyone wants it.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Just trying to see if this is bump-able?

• Circus Peanut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Apparently so, Deedles - I just got the notification of your response.

*sigh* How I loved those counters. The new owner of my bungalow likes them, too, so all is well that ends well. I'm now debating between copper again or trying Maine slate for my new old house kitchen counters.

Here's how they looked after 4 years, with the kitchen finished (real estate photos):

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

This is such a cool thread. I think I need it for my Time Capsule.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Such a beautiful kitchen, Circuspeanut. You sound sad? Do you miss your old place? Have I missed any recent posts about your new house and kitchen project? Just think how beautiful this one will be as you build on what you learned/executed in your last one.

If my kitchen ends up ONE TENTH as gorgeous as your last kitchen, I'd call it a huge success and be happy.

I enjoyed the thread... it was a fun read esp. knowing how it all turned out.

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

CP I love this thread. Your countertops are gorgeous! And I think your kitchen is beautiful.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

CP, your counters are utterly awesome. As beautiful patinated as they were brand new. Something I keep wondering, did they have a distinctive smell? I keep imagining old pennies but that might not be accurate. :)

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

The surfaces are wonderful but so is the light...that kitchen has great light.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Yes, the light in that kitchen looks so 'comforting' is the word that comes to mind. The glowing floors. Gorgeous and warm.

• Missi (4b IA)
    6 years ago

Did you end up doing copper counters again?

• sosha68
    3 years ago

Hi there - looks gorgeous! Please can i ask how you get the copper on the sides of the counter top - id you get a strip cut or mould them on? I am worried that on my worktop there will be bumps and wonder how to get as flat as yours? Did you glue on to the mdd? Thanks

• sosha68
    3 years ago

OOPs sorry - MDF

• Missi (4b IA)
    2 years ago

I wonder how many times over the years we’ve looked at this thread just to sigh over the pictures. I’ve wanted white solid surface counters and a copper sink for a long time, but ohhh my word, that third picture in the last set posted…gives me shivers, its so beautiful.