Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
marti8a---build out of range hood you requested--pix

Posted by annsch (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 14:25

hi Marti8a---On one of my posts you asked to see how they build out the hood. We started with a plywood frame as below with VENT-A-HOOD insert installed inside:

Photobucket

Today, they first put up the corbels, which were ordered from place in Sacramento. They are made of plaster and the architect and I picked out the design. The GC and crew mounted the corbels on plywood with brackets before putting on the hood frame. Once those were up the crew is now surrounding the hood with wire mesh that will be covered with plaster (apparently a 3 step process). Pix of work going on as we speak:

Photobucket

A close up of wire mesh:

Photobucket

Will take more pix and update once the first coat of plaster is up! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: marti8a---build out of range hood you requested--pix

I am super interested to see your range hood progress too.

o

Thanks annsch! You posted that first picture once before and I showed it to dh. We visited a house being built the other day and they had a wood hood but no vent insert in it yet. And I didn't have my camera!

o

I believe they are supposed to put the first two coats on today. The first coat is just a thinset and should dry quickly. They haven't started yet. Keep you all posted!!

o

This is the first coat being applied:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is after the second coat of plaster, ONE MORE TO GO (on Monday):
Photobucket

Photobucket

Right now there is a rough texture but it will have a smooth final texture when it's done. We are not sure if we are going to paint it or not, regardless of paint the hood will have to have a sealer applied to the plaster when it's all done. THANKS FOR LOOKING!!

o

Wow! So pretty!

o

I agree, very pretty! Thanks for showing the step by step pictures. Did the workers pose for you? lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here