Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ratrem

Modest City Kitchen almost done, inset and Taj Mahal

ratrem
11 years ago

We finally moved into our condo after a couple of months of staying with family after our house sold. Still have a lot of painting and finishing touches and unpacking to do, but I thought I would share our kitchen. Still needs final touches but the basics are there.

it is open to our modest living area and dining area, my office is next to the living, as you can see a work in progress with all the painting.

Comments (54)

• cluelessincolorado
    11 years ago

GORGEOUS!!

• ratrem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We also received originally the wrong color cabinets and got the soft white, which is very very close to the polar (had we known we would have taken the discount to keep them) so if anyone is interested in this set up with Shiloh beaded cabinets let me know as they are being offered at 50% off and need to come out of our storage unit, we are in Boston.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Modestly beautiful! I love your kitchen, esp. the counter, backsplash and those shelves!!! Awesome, you did good.

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

Wow! So beautiful! I'm a big fan of no upper cabinets. Someone can get a great deal on your other cabs, even if they don't use them all. I really love all your choices, everything goes together so nicely. Can you share the info on your pulls?

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

wow! lovely kitchen! it looks very clean yet warm.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I like it. It is open and bright and a little different. I generally don't like granite but love the color you have and how it looks w the walls.

Enjoy!

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

A truly beautiful space! Light, airy and functional! Well done and am sure you will all enjoy for years to come!

I really like the shelving and am sure you are planning something lovely and practical for the opposite side!

The countertops and backsplash work very well together too!

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Love it! so bright and airy and serene, great choices! Michelle

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It is soooo cool! I love how open it all is, and that quartzite is really pretty. Your little girl looks like she loves all the open space too. What a cutie.

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Oh this is a beauty! Love it all. What is the paint color on the wall?
    Great cabinets and I love the pulls.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Very very pretty. I really like the clean lines and how the floor plays nicely with the shelving. It's a contemp twist on traditional. Great job!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Very nice. I knew you were in Boston. I must've lived in 20 places with that exact same layout. Triple decker?

I always think that sideways U-shapes work well in those spaces.

Get that coffee maker outta your prep space! It's bugging me!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Beautiful job! The Shiloh inset cabinets are lovely. And I love your quartzite. It looks like you have acres of counter space. Thanks for posting your pictures.

• ratrem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marcolo--- It is a philly two family. We have the second and third floors. Living space downstairs and bedrooms up. Very nice size kitchen for the city. LOL on the coffee maker it actually was on the other side of the sink, but hubby moved it while painting. It is so big but we use it everyday.

Clarygrace we need to do something on the other side just not sure what. It needs to be something worthwhile if I am drilling into the backsplash.

Remodelf- thanks you. The shelves match the antique farm table right in the eating space. Its covered in a drop cloth but I will have take photos when it is all done.

Gigi the pulls are from restoration hardware, vintage pulls and glass knobs. I really like having no uppers as long as all our mostly used dishes are on the open shelving. It does look a little sparse though, but I think once we put out some personalized things it will get more cozy.

• kellyp123
    11 years ago

Absolutely lovely! Great job!

• kfhl
    11 years ago

I'm not sure that I would call it modest, but I love it. Especially the backsplash tile and reclaimed shelves.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I love the no uppers set up. It's so open and airy. The kitchen is really, really pretty.

I have a side ways U as well with the fridge wall open at both sides (same as yours except sink and stove are reversed because of windows) and I really like the floorplan. I hope you enjoy it.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I used to live in the downstairs of a Philly 2-family. (BTW do they even have those setups in Philadelphia? Why are they called that?) The upstairs units/apts are really nice and comfortable spaces. They feel kind of like a single family home but you get much more light. Do you have a foyer or little room to the left of your LR (looking to the front)? Did you do the gut of the entire unit?

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Oh my dear lord, you already answered all my questions in your original posts. Distracted by the pix, sorry!

• hsw_sc
    11 years ago

Another kitchen I am in love with! Gorgeous!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Nice!

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love that quartzite!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! That tah mahal is really something!1

• beeps
    11 years ago

Wow. Very pretty! I love your Taj Mahal and BS!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Hope you don't mind...Might have to copy your pulls and knobs! I love the way they look, they're just different and not as obvious as a solid metal pull! Just have to work out the math and see if they are more or less than I was going to spend on some Alno pulls. Hmmmmm, how can I make this work?

• willtv
    11 years ago

Real nice.
    Love the counters and floors and especially the tall backsplash.
    Great job.

• willtv
    11 years ago

Real nice.
    Great job.

• willtv
    11 years ago

Real nice.
    Great job.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Really like your choice of door and drawer fronts and esp. that pantry by the fridge looks really handy. I wish I had room for a stack of drawers like that.

Nice job!

• geomeg
    11 years ago

Absolutely stunning kitchen!!!!!

I love the Taj Mahal counter. I went looking yesterday for counters and they had Taj Mahal. Yours is really beautiful!

• ratrem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!!

Marcolo- we came close to gutting the entire unit. The upstairs bath remains the same, but we added a master bath, turned the porch into the laundry/half path, raised all the ceilings upstairs, added insulation everywhere, new windows, new floors, new electrical, took down a load bearing wall to open up the first floor and new plaster over all the new and existing walls. It does feel like a single family, we do miss our garage though. Can't wait until it is all painted and we are completely unpacked. My hubby is a teacher and is painting it all himself over the summer. Still have a lot more to do though, needs a new heating/ac system, front porches need to be redone, and eventually the kids bathroom.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the choices you've made.

• enduring
    11 years ago

This looks like heaven! What color paint is that? It is warmish.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

I love your cabinets. I love your floor. I love your quartzite. I love your sink. I love your schoolhouse light. I love I love. YOu get the idea. Congratulations and enjoy!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

It's truly lovely. The counters and BS are wonderful together. Love the pulls. Just a beautiful space. I wouldn't call it modest, though - more like luxe. You did a great job.

• chardie
    11 years ago

That is not a modest kitchen, my friend. That is a GORGEOUS kitchen.

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Oh My, It's beautiful!! You must be so proud. I love the no uppers, makes it look so fresh and uncluttered.

Definitely saving this for inspiration if you don't mind.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE those shelves! I'm putting them in my redo. They give it just the right amount of contrast to make the entire kitchen even more interesting.
    Can't wait to see your table. Did you have it built from wood from the same company?

Also love the tall stacked drawers under the microwave, it looks so different. What are you using them for, if you don't mind?

Congrats! (I need Marcolo's green eye) :)

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Love your quartzite!

We're struggling to find a light granite that doesn't read grey and cool. Taj Mahal might just fit the bill (it looks like it has tan and greige colors, right?) Now, I just need to find someone here in Pittsburgh who carries it.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Love the quartzite.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. That wonderful long counter will be a great workspace.

I really love your taj mahal especially. I had seen that one in the stoneyards and it was not nearly so captivating as yours.

• ratrem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AndreaK- I think the TM is definitely warmer than some other white marbles and granite. It has white, creams, tans and some gray in it, but I think it overall reads creamy and warm.

Susie- the drawers under the micro are currently being used as 1 chip/bread drawer, 1 tupperware drawer, 1 with extra plates, 1 with extra cups, 1 empty.. I love the open shelves it holds all our everyday small/large plates and bowls we use daily. They get washed almost daily from use so not a lot of dust accumulation and so easy to put away. We drink from one water cup per day so having the extra cups in a drawer works for us as they are usually only for guests. My Daughter has her own drawer under the dishwasher so she can get all her own plates and sippy cups. The table is antique farm table given as a gift but the wood color and feel is similar to the shelves. We had the contracter put the L brackets straight into the stud then plaster/tile over it so they look floating but are strong enough to hold dishes.

• ellink
    11 years ago

Love it! What is your paint and trim color?

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Love the Taj Mahal!

• ratrem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ellink: we had the trim color matched to the cabinet color at Ben Moore, I think it was close to white dove and cotton balls, The wall color was also done at BM but we used a C2 color, shaker, it is similar to a few BM colors too.

• LittleTownBigCity
    11 years ago

It looks just beautiful. Congratulations! I LOVE those glass pulls.

How do you like your DCS appliances? We are about to order the range, fridge, and dishwashers.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Congrats! Looking great!!!
    Love the floor and also can't believe your backsplash is in!
    I agree on the glass pulls!

• ratrem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The wall color is almost identical to BM Revere , we are very happy with it as we continue to paint the rest of the downstairs with it.

Littletown: we love them so far. WE did the deal with purchase of range get 2 free dishdrawers or one free reg. size. WE opted to get two Tall dishsrawers, we wanted integrated so we had to get fisher paykel ones. They are so quiet, I have to touch them to feel if they are running. The fridge is great so far, we had some problems with the place we ordered from, but they are working with us, damage from delivery. I liked it that it was the only sxs that did not have the water dispenser on the front and take up all the space in the freezer (besides built in models). I had a french door before but hated the pit that became the freezer. Which appliances are you getting?

I still have not gotten used to all the cabinet space with the pantry. We have yet to fill lots of drawers, of course I have been too sick to really grocery shop yet, so I am hoping that will change

• yeh_yeh
    8 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! What color of grout did you use for the backsplash?

• Judy Bee
    7 years ago

Inspirational! I am about to remodel, white kitchen (much smaller, sadly) white subway tile backsplash, 30" Kohler Westhaven farmhouse sink, and Taj Mahal or similar quartzite, similar color floor. Imitation being the most sincere form of flattery, I am going to look for similar pulls; they're beautiful and out of the ordinary. You've done a great job!

• Joanne Hulse
    5 years ago
    Working on my Taj Mahal kitchen.
    Still not sure which paint to use on the walls. White Dove BM cabinets, wood medium color 6 inch planks.