Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cabs going to ceiling?

Posted by coco99 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 14:22

we're in the middle of kitchen renos and i'm having second thoughts about the cabinet height. we have a 9ft ceiling, and i originally chose not to go up to the ceiling - was more focused on function than form, and our KD told me that going to the ceiling with cabs can be expensive. our hood was always intended to go to the ceiling but the rest of the cabinetry, which wraps around a small kitchen work area and then around the back wall of the breakfast area would stop about 6-9" from the ceiling (after adding the crown moulding). i've recently seen photos of kitchens where they add a small "box" almost like a narrow soffitt over the top of the cabinets to bring them up to the ceiling. would love opinions on whether i should do that or if it would look better without. i've attached a photo of our current kitchen with some of the uppers attached. (don't know how to add multiple photos, so i'll add another photo of our kitchen along with a photo of a kitchen i found that shows the proposed change). TY!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cabs going to ceiling?

another angle of the kitchen

o

this is a photo of a kitchen that has the added "box" or narrow soffit on top of the cabs to give the illusion that they go up to the ceiling.

o

Your kitchen isn't huge - I think a giant crown molding, as shown in your inspiration pic, would be overwhelming.

Is it too late to install over-cabinet lighting? That would be cool!

o

I vote to go to the ceiling. The small gap you've got now looks awkward, and to me it's more calming-looking to have the cabinets go all the way up.

o

This is Redlover's crown bringing her 42" cabinets up to a 9 ft ceiling, a fascia (flat board) board with crown molding above it. Notice the crown on the very top does not project out onto the ceiling. I don't think it looks overwhelming at all.
Unless you have a really large kitchen, 12" of crown that projects outward onto the ceiling can look top heavy & overwhelming.
Redlover, I hope you don't mind that I keep posting this picture of your crown molding. I put 8" of crown above 45" cabinets. There is one small area of cabinets that it looks top heavy. In hindsight, I should have done something similar to yours.

o

This is also 12" of crown above 42" cabinets to a 9 ft ceiling. The crown projects outward but this is a huge kitchen.

o

I think your kitchen is going to be gorgeous just the way you are going with it! I wouldn't second guess your choices.

o

thanks everyone. given the mixed responses here, i guess there's no clearly right way to go. i'll wait until the KD is able to put up some of the crown so i can see more accurately how it will look without the moulding/fascia that would give the illusion that cabs go up to the ceiling. thanks again!!

o

Having just scraped off the grease/dust mix off my cabinets with a credit card because degreaser and sponge made barely a dent in it, my next kitchen will have cabinets all the way to the ceiling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here