Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinakauh

cabs going to ceiling?

tina kauh
9 years ago

we're in the middle of kitchen renos and i'm having second thoughts about the cabinet height. we have a 9ft ceiling, and i originally chose not to go up to the ceiling - was more focused on function than form, and our KD told me that going to the ceiling with cabs can be expensive. our hood was always intended to go to the ceiling but the rest of the cabinetry, which wraps around a small kitchen work area and then around the back wall of the breakfast area would stop about 6-9" from the ceiling (after adding the crown moulding). i've recently seen photos of kitchens where they add a small "box" almost like a narrow soffitt over the top of the cabinets to bring them up to the ceiling. would love opinions on whether i should do that or if it would look better without. i've attached a photo of our current kitchen with some of the uppers attached. (don't know how to add multiple photos, so i'll add another photo of our kitchen along with a photo of a kitchen i found that shows the proposed change). TY!!

Comments (9)