Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreak100_gw

kateskouros - a question about one of your cabinets

andreak100
11 years ago

We're planning a cabinet similar to what you show in this picture, in that are thinking about putting granite in as a shelf/top in an area where we will be keeping the coffee pot and a few additional small appliances that may get some moisture around them. I wondered if you have any more photos that show what this looks like, if you are using that area as part of a similar function (things that may have moisture), any thoughts/opinions/things that would be good to know?

Also, did you use 3cm granite or was it cut down to a narrower width?

{{!gwi}}

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• Susied3
    11 years ago

andreak100, I saw this picture in another thread and had questions as well! Thanks for bringing it up.

Kateskouros, if you answer her question, will you please answer another? What is behind this wall? In relation to the rest of the kitchen, where is it placed? Have you ever posted a picture of your layout? It looks very interesting.
    Also, I wondered, if you don't mind, how tall are your ceilings?

Thanks!

• andreak100
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bumping this - hope Kate sees it.

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

hi, i'm here. just so busy trying to send two kids off to camp, figure out a way to get the GC to finish the house (without resorting to physical threats) AND sort through six years of stuff and move from the temporary house. i just found my crystal and china so had to wash everything and figure out where it goes in the new place. the good news: i found a miracle doc who has put me on BHRT and i am now better able to handle all the stress this mess has caused. i seriously feel GREAT.

so hopefully i can answer all of your questions. the easy one first: my ceilings are 9' tall. the island, FYI is 10'x6'. it's hard to reach the center to clean so i'm wishing i didn't spec it as deep, but c'est la vie. it is what it is and i still believe i needed the size to fill the space. another aside: you can't see it in the layout, but my turbo chef oven is located under counter in the island directly across from dishwasher #2, facing the windows.

note: the walk from the range to the refrigerator is 8-10 steps, depending if i'm standing right or left. it's definitely closer than it appears in the drawing. it's a large space but i the zones makes it work nicely.

this is a general layout of the kitchen. the dimensions are 22' wide x 17.5' (i think) deep. the breakfast room is off to the right and is 14' square, with a porch right outside for outdoor dining. formal dining room across the hall, other side of fridge/freezer wall.

this is the fridge/freezer wall. the center panels open up to reveal toaster oven, microwave (coming soon), coffee maker. also kept here will be cereal, bread, etc, ...your basic breakfast items, plus pop corn, et al. silverware is out and scattered waiting for the cabinet maker to come back and install drawer inserts. fridge is shown open on the left, freezer is on the right. here is it is in the closed, and open positions:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

i'm not finished setting this up yet but to get a better idea of my zones, this is the baking cabinet. it houses -or will house my mixers, food processor, etc.; bowels, condiments, baking pans and all things baking will reside in the four drawers below. they're not set up yet so sorry no pics. the baking sheets will live in a base cabinet just to the right.

{{!gwi}}

some of the shots are old, but i will update when i give my reveal -hopefully sometime within the next four years. interesting to note: i was not menopausal when we started this project, september 29, 2009. i guess it finally through me over the edge.

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

forgot to add the pic of the baking cabinet -in closed position.

{{!gwi}}

• andreak100
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds like you've got a lot on your hands! Hope that life starts to slow down a bit for you.

Thank yo so much for taking the time to post those images. Yours is the first that has the unit with a granite middle shelf that I've seen, and I'm just trying to determine if that will work for us. I like the idea because it would alleviate the worries of moisture with wood, so I'll have to show DH and get his thoughts. The extra photos helped tremendously.

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Kateskouros, thanks for posting your pics and layout! Sounds like things are crazy right now for you, ahh I remember those days, as much as I complained, they go by so fast.

Your house is going to be spectacular. I love your kitchen layout, is that the family room behind your fridge/freezer wall? Or is it dining?
    I've hedged over the distance from fridge to range for a long time, but like you, when you are in the space, it really doesn't seem far, nothing like what everyone is concerned about on here. Just checked mine, and it's only 6 steps, even though it's 13ft on the plan.
    Thanks so much, this was a lot of help.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Kate
    I get the I wasnt meno when this started deal...
    I'm starting this week with BHRT thank you for sharing that you're feeling better.
    Your kitchen is WONDERFUL can I copy? ;)

• Susied3
    11 years ago

OK, I wanted to ask the first time it was mentioned, but didn't want to pry into someones private life.

HOWEVER, now since it's been mentioned a second time, I can't help myself! Menopause came to me after a total wipe-out of internal organs from ovarian cancer and it's He**! So, what, if you don't mind me asking, is BHRT?
    Hey, it's not really that OT, is it? After all, doesn't feeling good go with doing a kitchen? LOL
    Thanks!

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

it's not prying since i brought it up, and it's been such a help i like to pass it on. BHRT (bio identical hormone replacement) has been a Godsend. i have a fabulous doc and he does pellet inserts. no creams, no drops. i get a small incision in my abdomen and he inserts the hormones in pellet form. it took only three weeks for me to feel good again. no more mood swings, sweats or depression. look for a doc who does pellets. the creams (for me) were total nonsense. this was my first insertion but they last anywhere from 3 to 4 months.

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

oh, and sorry... the great room is directly left (behind the baking center wall) and the dining room is across the hall behind the fridge/freezer wall.

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Thanks, I'll be calling my doctor tomorrow morning! Sounds interesting, and great, can't wait to check it out.

I love your layout, katekouros, wish my house wasn't so chopped up so we could have done something similar.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love the concept!

Question on the appliance area. I moved our delonghi countertop convection oven(aka toaster oven) to our pantry. (long story about not calling it a toaster oven, but trying to get permission to use one in the hospital which banned toaster ovens....)
    DH went ballistic and was sure a code violation.
    I have the oven on a large piece of ceramic tile but concerned about the shelf above.
    Did you add any fire protection on the shelf above? I am thinking of lining the underside with tin.
    Thoughts.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert