Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any cabinet hardware suggestions? mixed design

Posted by dreamojean (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 14:14

I'd love suggestions for cabinet hardware for my kitchen renovation of an old brownstone trying to follow the old details and still bring in modern elements like stainless steel, here are details; I typically like black curvy metal hardware but not sure it works for this particular renovation, IKEA's display has steel hardware and I'm not sure I like that either, but I do NOT want gold, I've assumed I want black or silver metal or possibly white hardware, I don't sense that natural wood hardware would blend nicely, thoughts?:

1. Stainless steel side by side fridge, range (black cooktop, steel otherwise) and over the range microwave

2. Old brownstone with reddish orange-ish brown moldings, left wood color in hallways and painted white inside rooms, egg and dart crown moldings in both places.

3. Cabinets will be IKEA Ramsjo white/off-white, flat-panel (which is its most traditional cabinet front). - I wanted semi-custom real wood, flat panel, but we're busting our budget elsewhere

4. Countertop likely to be Zodiaq #61 which is light / white-ish with some nice dark flecks that picks up browns, blacks and whites nicely. Or a comparable Caesarstone.

5. Floors are hardwood, pine planks, mix of yellow and orange and brown highlights.

6. Kitchen/dining room walls painted atrium white

I've included a photo of the IKEA cabinet door.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any cabinet hardware suggestions? mixed design

OP here, posting one more pic of the temp kitchen for better context (we've got a temp kitchen including temp island and most electrical up and running, need to order cabinets/countertops/sink/faucet and backsplash, and the hardware), to show the appliances, floors, walls etc. Dishwasher will be integrated with a front panel since it's a small kitchen, so the fridge and stove "pop" more.

o

What about glass knobs... I think they would tie in well with an old brownstone. Check out coolknobsandpulls.com...they have a ton of glass knobs.

o

My door style is very similar and the color as well. I went with brushed nickel hardware and I am very happy with it. I do like the glass idea too, someone recently showed pictures of their white kitchen and had them and it really looked nice. I stressed out about the hardware color, at first I wanted copper color but my KD discouraged it and told me if I go darker then they will pop and will be the first place the eye goes too. What I did was searched white kitchens with my granite on houzz and looked at tons of pictures to see what I liked, I found one kitchen that looked exactly like what we were doing and it had the brushed nickel pulls and knobs, I was sold and very happy with my choice.

o

To follow up on this, I ended up going with silver/shiny hardware and it turned out FANTASTIC - I've included a picture for context. I had a bunch of false starts including hardware that was too delicate - I must have tried everything.

The hardware I ended up using was from Lowe's (chunkier for the bottom cabinets and hidden dishwasher and a bit lighter for the uppers, NOT matching but close enough that it works - I tried knobs instead of pulls on the uppers and it just didn't work for me functionally, and I thought they looked ugly).

This is what I ended up with after trying hardware from Lowe's, Home Depot, Gracious Home, IKEA and probably a store or two I'm not thinking of. Lots of purchases and returns (almost all unopened items but still). The hardware now is one of my favorite parts of the kitchen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here