Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kolorblinding

Off-Center Sink and Window...Is this TOO asymmetrical?

kolorblinding
9 years ago

I'm having trouble centering my sink under my window, so I tried centering the faucet instead. Does this look too asymmetrical to you?

The window itself is also very asymmetrical...I might try to swap it out for some smaller windows. I wonder how small I can go...

This post was edited by kolorblinding on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 14:16

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Edit.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 14:43

• feisty68
    9 years ago

That would drive me nuts. Others wouldn't mind, so it's somewhat personal I guess.

I designed my entire kitchen around fitting a fridge, dishwasher, sink, and corner cabinet along a tiny wall that has a small window that I wanted the sink centered on. I actually put a 25" sink into a 24" cabinet to make it work.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Try downsizing or eliminating the pull-out pantry as I mentioned in your other thread and put a 24" DW to the right of your sink, thereby giving you a larger fridge landing zone/ dish draining zone on the counter between fridge and sink. Then your primary prep zone between the sink and stove won't have the DW smack in the middle of it, and your DW won't be stuck in a corner. Too many trade-offs are being made to fit in a pantry on that wall.

• texaspenny
    9 years ago

That would drive me nuts. It makes the sink look way out of whack. What about making the sink even with the window and moving the DW to the right?

• fishymom
    9 years ago

That would make me crazy also, makes both the window and the sink look out of proportion. It feels like, oh shoot, forgot the sink, let's just plop it here. But, I have seen worse!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Keep working your design.

What is driving the need to have things off like that?

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Can you put the dishwasher on the right, so you can center the sink cabinet?

• dcward89
    9 years ago

My sink is not centered under the window but it's much bigger window. It's a slider and the faucet is actually centered on the left pane of the slider. It allowed me to have a bigger space between the sink and the refrigerator cabinet. I am one who doesn't appreciate everything perfectly lined up anyway so it works for me. Here's a pic for reference...

Obviously this was "during" and the faucet isn't in yet but you can get the idea.

Also, as a general rule I would get the biggest window possible and design around it. There's no substitute for the natural light.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Dcward, yours looks intentional and an organized design arrangement, not just a little bit off. The op's looks like what it is, a near miss.

• User
    9 years ago

I have a sink that is not centered on a window - it was purely a functional decision in a small kitchen. The fact that it is a galley kitchen may change the equation some; you never actually see the whole bank of cabinets head-on, only from one end or the other.

Still, I sweated this detail really hard because the KD was mortally opposed and because my kitchen (and the sink) can be seen from a few steps inside the front door. Plus I can be OCD about this stuff.

Fwiw, I'm in that phase of being basically done with the reno and obsessing over all the little things that I should have done differently or aren't quite right... but this one issue hasn't bothered me whatsoever. And fwiw if you google the many threads on this issue in the GW archives, you'll find lots of GWers who have off-center sinks for functional reasons with no regrets.

I will add that I do see an asymmetry issue in the OP's post - the differential in the space between the upper cabinets and the window itself seems really problematic. I'd try to find a way to balance that, and then see what you think of the sink.

• Tmnca
    9 years ago

I don't think you should shrink the windows, you'll regret the lack of light and view then. I don't think you will notice this once the kitchen is in use, a drawing makes people fixate on it because it's the only point of interest.

The first and last arrangement look the same to me, and I like that arrangement better than the center.

• romy718
    9 years ago

The sink, I hardly noticed. The window, not being between evenly positioned between the upper cabinets is what bothers me.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

"Dcward, yours looks intentional and an organized design arrangement, not just a little bit off. The op's looks like what it is, a near miss."

I agree with snookums' comment above.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I agree with romy about the flanking cabinets being far more prominent, and may_flowers comments about another thread has my interested piqued.

• rahull
    9 years ago

How big is your window, and what direction does it face?

• kolorblinding
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does this look better?

I was able to center the sink by putting in a 28" wide, trim-less window. I'm thinking of putting in a matching granite sill, like in this photo:

The current window is 32" wide and faces West, but it doesn't get very much natural light because of an apartment building next door. Also, the pics I posted above are misleading because I don't have a back yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures on my photobucket album here.....

This post was edited by kolorblinding on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 11:02

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, much better. In DCwards pic, one side of the sink lined up with the window.
    I would also consider adding some glass doors or shelves. It may be the design program, but it looks like a lot of massive wood.

How high are your ceilings?

• kolorblinding
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nosoccermom,

The ceilings are 9.5 feet high. I'm stacking 15" cabinets on top of 39" cabinets, which gives me 54 inches of upper cabinets.

Do you think this is too much wood?

I could leave off the upper row, but I would need to find some way to cover an 8" round duct running from the range to the wall with the refrigerator. I could maybe swap the 8" round duct for 3.25x10 rectangular. Or I could swap the refrigerator and range, which was suggested in a previous thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures here..........

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Much better. But please get rid of that horrid peninsula that doesn't add any storage, blocks your walkway, boxes you in at the range, and adds to your countertop costs.

• kolorblinding
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You don't like the peninsula? Someone suggested it in the previous thread, and I thought it was a great idea.

People would be able to sit at the counter and chat with whoever's cooking. Also, I could hang a small flat-screen TV on the wall to the left of the range, so the cook can watch cooking videos. And if I use a slightly larger 30" or 36" Ikea base cabinet, I thought I could add some pretty substantial storage space.

Do you really think it looks bad? Please don't tell me that tastes/preferences are personal and to go with what I like...I have zero experience with kitchen design, and I've been told that I have bad taste!

This post was edited by kolorblinding on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 12:00

• User
    9 years ago

Swap the refrigerator and range. Add an island.

• kolorblinding
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may_flowers,

I finally got rid of the pantry. What do you think? I will have to cut down a 12" Ikea cabinet by 2" to fit another base cabinet in there.

Do you think it will look okay having a Bosch dishwasher next to a Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator? Both are stainless steel, but Fridigidaire has a "smudge-proof" coating that makes it a little darker. The Frigidaire Gallery was the only counter depth model I could find for under $2000.

Also, with the 1" wall clearance, the refrigerator door will stick out by 3 inches into the 32" passage/opening. The narrow 29" passage won't bother us at all, but do you think it will look bad?

• mellyc123
    9 years ago

Be careful stacking ikea cabinets unless the "little" things don't bother you.
    I think you will have a gap no matter how much you adjust the doors. I will create a new post to question this. I was hoping Dutty would post her finished kitchen. She did custom doors and I am curious if they are just a bit longer than the normal ikea doors to cover this.

• User
    9 years ago

Also, the proportions are wrong for stacked cabinets. You would want to do 18's over 36's to get to that height. Since Ikea doesn't offer that, 15's over 30's would work, but it obviously won't go to the ceiling. But the proportons will be much better.

• kolorblinding
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ikea does sell 17 3/4" high cabinets in 30 and 36 inch widths (29 7/8", 35 7/8").

I believe the boxes should line up perfectly. But you don't think the doors will line up?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Your uppers altogether are almost twice as high as the base cabinets (54" vs 30"). Is there a way to get uppers with glass doors?
    Below a link to kitchens with 9' ceilings.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1018044712528.html

And here with 10 ft ceilings
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg022150266878.html

Here is a link that might be useful: 9 ft ceiling kitchens

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Unless you prefer the look of a window sill, have you considered a window that extends to top of the counter without any sill at all?